PDA

View Full Version : Database error... :( Help?

Gwydion
November 25th, 2016, 13:35
Ok, so I think I've got some type of hardware error in my computer so I think the error I'm about to ask about is symptomatic of a bigger issue. I've gotten a couple of blue screen errors lately and run memory tests that are given me a boatload of errors. Unfortunately I don't think its my RAM as I removed the two sticks I used to upgrade my RAM 6 mos ago and put back in the manufactured RAM and still having the same issues and memory failure. This computer is only about a year old if that!

Anyway, just wanted you to have the background. So, does anyone know what this database error is I'm getting? It pops up when I click on "load campaign". I'm concerned my campaigns are getting corrupted. I just had a second error pop up (attached) trying to load a campaign. Last night I saved my entire fantasy grounds data file to dropbox but hope it wasn't too late and that the whole folder is corrupted.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

dulux-oz
November 25th, 2016, 13:48
Hi Gwy,

Mate, that ain't good! According to the error messages the database file is empty/corrupted. First, I'd be doing a scan of your hard disk. Then, you could try to go back to the previous session database file (one with a timestamp in the title, such as db.session.[some number].xml) and see if you can recover things.

Don't try to run the game from your Dropbox folder - we know that corrupts things. Instead, copy the db.xml file to a different directory and then up to dropbox.

Others may have some further ideas, but that's what I'd be doing to start

Good Luck

Gwydion
November 25th, 2016, 13:53
Hi Gwy,

Mate, that ain't good! According to the error messages the database file is empty/corrupted. First, I'd be doing a scan of your hard disk. Then, you could try to go back to the previous session database file (one with a timestamp in the title, such as db.session.[some number].xml) and see if you can recover things.

Don't try to run the game from your Dropbox folder - we know that corrupts things. Instead, copy the db.xml file to a different directory and then up to dropbox.

Others may have some further ideas, but that's what I'd be doing to start

Good Luck

Thanks. I will scan the hard disk again to see what I can find. I definitely won't run anything from dropbox, was just trying to save the files in case they aren't all corrupted!

Trenloe
November 25th, 2016, 14:49
If you keep getting blue screens and memory errors then you'll have to try and fix those.

However, as far as the FG database is concerned, you will probably be able to roll back to an earlier copy of the FG db.xml campaign database file. In your <FG app data>\campaigns\<your campaign name> directory select View -> Details and order by date modified. Then look at all of the db.-----.xml files (where ------- is session, backup, etc.. Some could be db.session.XXXXXX.xml, some could be db.backup.XXXXX.xml), etc.. Make a copy of all of these. Then go through each one - from the most recent non-zero sized file, copy this to db.xml and then try loading your campaign. Work your way back though all of the different db.------.xml files, copying them to db.xml, trying one older each time until you get one that works.

Gwydion
November 25th, 2016, 15:17
If you keep getting blue screens and memory errors then you'll have to try and fix those.

However, as far as the FG database is concerned, you will probably be able to roll back to an earlier copy of the FG db.xml campaign database file. In your <FG app data>\campaigns\<your campaign name> directory select View -> Details and order by date modified. Then look at all of the db.-----.xml files (where ------- is session, backup, etc.. Some could be db.session.XXXXXX.xml, some could be db.backup.XXXXX.xml), etc.. Make a copy of all of these. Then go through each one - from the most recent non-zero sized file, copy this to db.xml and then try loading your campaign. Work your way back though all of the different db.------.xml files, copying them to db.xml, trying one older each time until you get one that works.

Cool. Thanks, Trenloe. Like you said, I'm going to try and figure out the computer memory issues before I load any more FG files. At least I have a complete copy now on dropbox of all the files just in case...

Ikael
November 25th, 2016, 15:59
The error states that your campaign's extensionstate.xml file is empty. You can freely remove that file from your campaign's folder and try opening the campaign. Extensionstate.xml file contains information which extension are enabled for that campaign, and after removal you can enable them again

Gwydion
November 25th, 2016, 16:01
The error states that your campaign's extensionstate.xml file is empty. You can freely remove that file from your campaign's folder and try opening the campaign. Extensionstate.xml file contains information which extension are enabled for that campaign, and after removal you can enable them again

Cool. Thanks.

tommenquar
November 26th, 2016, 01:10
Runtime Error: Unable to save file (C:/ProgramData/Fantasy Grounds/GlobalRegistry.lua) - Error (13): Permission denied
Runtime Error: Unable to save file (C:/ProgramData/Fantasy Grounds/campaigns/The Wrath of the Righteous/CampaignRegistry.lua) - Error (13): Permission denied
Runtime Error: Unable to save file (C:/ProgramData/Fantasy Grounds/campaigns/The Wrath of the Righteous/db.xml) - Error (13): Permission denied
Runtime Notice: Returning to launcher

This is one of the errors that i get.

Moon Wizard
November 26th, 2016, 01:46
This means that the permissions on your data directory are not set to allow you to save. You can open the data folder using the folder button in the launcher, then go up one level, right click on the Fantasy Grounds folder, select Properties, select Security tab, then make sure that "Everyone" has Full Control on that folder. An older version of FG from over a year ago used the ProgramData directory, but Windows kept locking it down.

Also, you can try changing the data directory to C:\Users\<YourWindowsUserName>\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds\, and then running an Update again. (Make sure to replace <YourWindowsUserName> with your actual Windows user name.) This will move the data directory to that location, which is generally more open security-wise. This is the default data location for the current installer.

Make sure to pay attention to any errors that pop-up in the FG console while you are running FG. Also, you can force a data save with the /save command, which should generate an error if there are any issues saving.

Regards,
JPG

damned
November 26th, 2016, 01:47
You need to go here: C:/ProgramData/ and find /Fantasy Grounds/ and give your user Full Permissions to this folder and all subfolders. Also remove Read Only attribute.