PDA

View Full Version : New user - only have some prior 5e familiarity - How to start?

Varsuuk
November 25th, 2016, 05:42
Are there any good videos out there for Fantasy Grounds that are somewhat up to date at least (prob asking too much for 3.2) that can show me a little of how to use with Savage Worlds?

In particular, starting up and creating Deadlands Reloaded and War of the Dead characters.

I opened a WoD create character thing and immediately saw a "setting" section - for which I assumed I'd just type "War of the Dead" but then I saw there was a unfilled-circle "button" and if I click it, it comes up with a small "Setting Mods __________ [0]" dialog. No clue...

Is there documentation somewhere also? Like that great Fantasy Grounds 3.2 (well, it has old screenshots still) PDF I finally started reading?

Also, if there are any experts that do this sort of thing, probably a quick run through of some of the basic UI / character creation MIGHT be fast, if it is - I'd love to Teamspeak or whatever on it!

Thanks all ;)

Zacchaeus
November 25th, 2016, 10:38
Various videos can be found here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Videos).

Character sheet description here. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Savage_Worlds_Character_Sheet)

User guide here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/Savage%20Worlds%204%20Supplement-2.0-b.pdf).

Mask_of_winter
November 25th, 2016, 11:21
It's a bit early to expect 3.2 videos on SW but I do offer a preview on my YT channel.
My vids are helpful (hopefully lol): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkxh6-XJwpFsKfYrSnzbwYNCizY3DAOIa
For Setting Mods, this is a place to put other Derived Stats, Attributes, Setting rules mods, etc. Let's say you wanted to create a homebrew setting and didn't know how to make an extension to add a new stat to the sheet, well, you use the Setting button to keep track of it. I personally never use it. There was a time when the SW ruleset wasn't all that automated and we used it. The ruleset evolved but this button remained.
All older videos and tuts are relevant since the main change with 3.2 is tabs are replaced with groups.
Other than that, all I can say is that make yourself familiar with the SW rules first by reading the book and most of it will make sense to you. If you try to understand the FG ruleset before understanding the rule system you will get frustrated.

Topdecker
November 25th, 2016, 13:56
I joined a couple of games at the last FG Con and later found a group starting up and have been soaking up knowledge by watching other GMs in action.

Anyhow, you might ask to join a game or two merely as an observer - I think plenty of GMs would be ok with that and it would let you see the system in action. And there are some conventions that Savage GMs seem to follow (like asking players to describe particularily effective finishing blows, the way bennys are sometimes suggested) that aren't in the rulebook, so it is worth it just to get a bit better steeped in traditions that come with the job :)

Tim

Varsuuk
November 25th, 2016, 16:00
Awesome, the videos helped me a lot with the D&D stuff - i'm sure it will be helpful.

I've actually read the SW rule book and setting book. Unfortunately, my neurological issues makes memory retention poor unless I make USE of it somewhat regularly. Heck, I'm thought of us one of the better coders, especially with my C++ in-depth knowledge. Bet they'd be surprised to know I re-read the same Standard, StdLib and a Code Stds every year + whatever other new or old books I peruse. It's all about workarounds ;)

I definitely want to play in others games to pick up style as well. My next step after creating a couple more characters is to run through one of my modules on my own - complete with reading descriptions etc (family already have suspicions about my sanity, so no harm there), just to get a feel for how it may go and steps involved.

Then running a simple game with a friend to get his buy-in I hope. He's not keen on remote play, love the guy but we live too far for "ad hoc" getting together and in any case - at this point in our lives it's not like we can have Fri/Sat games with 5 other friends in person for 4-8 hours like in the 80s ;)

I am really liking SW and looking at C&C too - I figure if I can get him to try (and he likes) FG with non D&D he'd give it a chance and might come around for all types and then in my best-case, we play 2 times a month in person and at least once a week remotely ;)

Skellan
November 26th, 2016, 08:58
Welcome to sw. Let me know if there's anything I can help with

Muagen
November 26th, 2016, 13:09
Sorry to piggy-back on your thread, Varsuuk, but I just picked this ruleset and the Deadlands setting up this morning and have a question as well. I'm trying to create a character. First step: choose a race. I can find the races, but I can't seem to find the Race field on the character sheet. Here's a shot of the Main tab of the character sheet. Am I doing something wrong?

Topdecker
November 26th, 2016, 13:48
Everyone is human, hence no need for the field.

Deadlands is a version of earth that separates from our history most noticeably following the battle of Gettysburg. As a result, there are no other races.

EDIT: I should also mention that everyone still does get the free edge for being human.

Muagen
November 26th, 2016, 14:53
Thanks for the reply, Topdecker.
I'm guessing there's a default character sheet I can use if I disable Deadlands for the moment so I can go through the basics first.

Varsuuk
November 26th, 2016, 20:39
Yes, there is. I know I didn't know that the two settings I had had and required you to activate extensions for them - don't have others, so not sure if this is a special case.

There are some "onesheets" i noticed included in the ruleset, so maybe something using those might be good.