PDA

View Full Version : Unity: Character Management Enhancement?

Xydonus
November 24th, 2016, 17:33
As a GM who runs a large group of players (7) plus (5) in another game, most have provided feedback to me on FG throughout. Thing I hear most is the character management screen.

Quite a few of my players have come from roll20, so most of their feedback is the limits on the character management compared to roll20's superior method of basically just letting you log in and do any changes to your character.

FG's one is read only, but I would like to see an improvement on this. Such as allowing players to level up in the event that the DM is too busy to get the server up. Most of leveling up is done prior to the game for me, which does cut into game time. It be nice to be able not only view your character, but edit it. And any edits/changes, if possible, be logged and sent to the GM in some format.

Andraax
November 24th, 2016, 17:39
Have them export their character, then import a new copy, which will then be editable. Make changes, then save them to XML, and email the XML to you. Or, next time they log in, they can upload it directly into the campaign (but the GM will still need to delete the original character).

Xydonus
November 24th, 2016, 17:45
Have them export their character, then import a new copy, which will then be editable. Make changes, then save them to XML, and email the XML to you. Or, next time they log in, they can upload it directly into the campaign (but the GM will still need to delete the original character).

That's a lot of hassle though sadly. Ideally I'm looking for an enhancement that cuts out the need to do that, especially considering I've a couple of players who have balked at the idea of doing that.

Andraax
November 24th, 2016, 17:50
Fantasy Grounds has never been advertised as a character management solution. I just fire up the server an hour before game time for people to log in and do their updates before the game.

LordEntrails
November 24th, 2016, 17:55
I don't think Xydonus is arguing about what FG is, but rather making a suggestion for what it could become.

I think it's a good idea, for the future (as is suggested by Unity in the thread title).

I could see something like where the GM can allow offline character management (as a campaign option), players can update their characters when not connected to the game, then when they connect, if the GM wants (another GM option), they can then get a preview of what the players have changed and then approve them or reject them.

I'd suggest you drop this in the wishlist; fg2app.idea.informer.com

Zacchaeus
November 24th, 2016, 17:56
With the current version the DM has to be online since he is the server whereas Roll20 I believe has a remote server thing so the DM doesn't need to be there. Having said that the DM doesn't need to level characters up for the players - not sure what you mean by that.

I think the devs are looking at other possible methods of connecting DMs and players for Unity.

Xydonus
November 24th, 2016, 18:02
@Lord Entrails - Exactly that.

Having said that the DM doesn't need to level characters up for the players - not sure what you mean by that.

Ah, no my original meaning got lost, I'll edit that so its clearer. But what I meant by that is making changes to someones character based on their input, as I've often had times where I can't get the server up as I'm busy for a player to level up, so they'll give me the changes that they want and I'll put those changes in.