PDA

View Full Version : Just got DLR - so I'm a noob - but want to check these are correct:

Varsuuk
November 24th, 2016, 03:01
I haven't looked INSIDE most of this because will be trying to play some before I try to DM anything for friends.

So I just wanted to see if there were any kind of maps or images - plus perhaps pick one simple one to learn with.

I noticed a lot of the Library Modules never show up on the left side list (where DLR Marshal's Book, SW Deluxe PHB, etc all show)
For example, from the DLR bundle on the Store page, the following do not appear:
'Round the Mountain
Coffin Rock
Don't Drink the Water
For Whom the Whistle Blows
Hellstromme Express

The others do show.
Now the ones who do not sure, show up in some of the other things like Enc, Images, NPC etc. I suppose if they do not appear - they probably didn't need to. They all seem to show in STORY section so maybe it's a Library difference between this and ruleset like D&D?

Let me know please.

PS -> JUST got it - so nothing to revert ;) and I did patch up. So this is like a test of a brand NEW install post 3.2. The only thing I had pre 3.2 was SW Deluxe Ruleset. So this may be a different use-case than many of ya.

Mask_of_winter
November 24th, 2016, 03:19
This is common structure for adventures in SW. Most of those were done years ago before D&D 5e and all the structure it has in FG was even a thought.

phantomwhale
November 28th, 2016, 03:37
Yeah, to this date, every module I've made just adds entries to the stories / images / NPCs lists etc... and no content in the library itself. This was the standard way of coding them.

As I've never played D&D over fantasy grounds, I'm less familiar with modules actually appearing in the library (which I'd previously only had for reference books). With the FG 3.2 updates, it's probably worth revisiting how modules should be created / organized, although I was assuming with the improvements to the sidebar menus (filtering etc...) it seems even less useful to add fixed static links into the library.

But some solid styleguide for this sort of thing from Smiteworks would certainly be good for helping new modules meet a common pattern - we'd like to see a more homogenized experience between rulesets, which 3.2 has been an excellent step towards (as well as most rulesets being based off CoreRPG now). And now with James H running some quality control updates across older products, Smiteworks should certainly be credited with curating their product line nicely towards a better experience on every ruleset.

Varsuuk
November 28th, 2016, 04:34
I personally Love the way the Library modules with thumbnail look ;)

It's definitely the way most (all I have) D&D are setup. It's also how all parsed by PAR5E end up.

For C&C, first modules I bought other day all were in Library. Today I bought 3 more adventures and one (in middle of series) was not while the one before and after did.

Definitely be nice to have consistency.

Talyn
November 28th, 2016, 14:26
Consistency? What's that? :p

Yeah, a lot of the stuff -- older stuff, especially -- tends to be a bit of a mess and there was never any consistency.

SmiteWorks recently made a "best practices" guidelines for us to get our behind the scenes XML consistent. A "Fantasy Grounds Style Manual" would be a good idea, too, just to get all the community developers in line to make the most professional-looking products we can so we don't end up with "hey, where's my adventure?"