PDA

View Full Version : Reputation Question

LordEntrails
November 24th, 2016, 01:50
I noticed that occasionally I get reputation with a grey icon rather than a green one... is this negative rep? See screen shot.

Nickademus
November 24th, 2016, 01:51
I looked this up on the forum provider's site. It means that the person who gave you positive (not negative) rep hasn't posted enough for the points to be awarded to you yet. When they reach a post count of 10, I think, it will be added. This is to prevent reputation bot farming.

LordEntrails
November 24th, 2016, 01:54
Ah! Thank you very much for looking it up. I was wondering why I might get positive and negative rep on the same comments *G*

Nickademus
November 24th, 2016, 01:59
I had looked it up a while ago.

I don't think this board is set up for negative reputation. You might be able to select the "I disapprove" (I never have) but I don't think it has any negative effect. I mean if it were possible, I'm sure I would have accrued some negative rep by now...

dulux-oz
November 24th, 2016, 02:15
Yes, you can get negative rep - I picked some up a few years ago from an... individual... who didn't see eye-to-eye with me.

Trenloe
November 24th, 2016, 02:15
It's not based off number of posts, it's based off the amount of reputation the user has themselves. People can give you reputation (click the star icon under the post), but if they don't have enough reputation they don't actually add any to your own reputation level. I don't know what reputation level maps to how much reputation you can give. Basically, until you get a certain level of reputation yourself, you add 0 reputation when giving someone rep; and then the amount you give scales based on your own reputation score.

Maybe it has something to do with the little green dots...

Trenloe
November 24th, 2016, 02:16
Yes, you can get negative reg - I picked some up a few years ago from an... individual... who didn't see eye-to-eye with me.
I just had to. Couldn't help myself.

;)

dulux-oz
November 24th, 2016, 02:37
I just had to. Couldn't help myself.

;)

Wasn't you - not unless it was in the last 5 minutes.

Was it in the last 5 minutes? damn! :p

Trenloe
November 24th, 2016, 02:38
Wasn't you - not unless it was in the last 5 minutes.
Nah, not me. I think I too got negative rep from the same person you did.

Nickademus
November 24th, 2016, 02:42
Yes, you can get negative rep - I picked some up a few years ago from an... individual... who didn't see eye-to-eye with me.

I'm shocked. I would have thought I'd have reaped some negative by now for sure. Just goes to show the level of maturity in the FG community is several steps higher than the average internet group.

EDIT: I'm still remembering some restriction for negative rep though. I think either the negative rep doesn't count or you can't give it until you acquire enough reputation yourself. It's been a while since I read the forum details.

GunnarGreybeard
November 24th, 2016, 02:42
I can hook you all up with some Neg Rep if it's that important to ya! :pirate:

dulux-oz
November 24th, 2016, 03:11
Nah, not me. I think I too got negative rep from the same person you did.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same person :)

rob2e
November 24th, 2016, 04:01

Pshaw! Individuals! Ha! Here's to my getting negative rep for making this joke...

LordEntrails
November 24th, 2016, 04:35
Someone said I gave them negative rep once when I first joined. I certainly didn't mean to and apoligized. Maybe I just didn't have enough rep to give them green rep and I gave them empty rep...?

The thought soothes my conscious a little.

I'm guessing negative rep shows up red?

LindseyFan
November 24th, 2016, 13:31
I have a single reputation award of ten points, and it is grey. Hope that helps somehow?

dulux-oz
November 24th, 2016, 13:41
Well, based on my rep and the number of rep points I can give, I'd hazard a guess and say there's a 10:1 ration ie 10% of your rep is what you can give (rounded down?).

But I'm not sure of the minimum (personal) rep you need for it to apply to those you give.

I'm also not sure if its a 1-off thing or if as your rep grows previous given rep also increases (abit at 10:1)

Mortar
November 24th, 2016, 13:55
I can hook you all up with some Neg Rep if it's that important to ya! :pirate:

I'll take some of that!

damned
November 24th, 2016, 22:42
Well, based on my rep and the number of rep points I can give, I'd hazard a guess and say there's a 10:1 ration ie 10% of your rep is what you can give (rounded down?).

But I'm not sure of the minimum (personal) rep you need for it to apply to those you give.

I'm also not sure if its a 1-off thing or if as your rep grows previous given rep also increases (abit at 10:1)

No there is some sort of sliding scale. I can only give 2.5% of my rep away each time....

Myrdin Potter
November 25th, 2016, 06:29
As far as I can tell, the most reliable way to get rep is to remind Trenloe of men dancing in kilts and it accrues upwards at a steady rate.

I hope the posters in the USA had a good Thanksgiving. I am amazed I have flight off the turkey coma this long ...

LindseyFan
November 25th, 2016, 16:30
As far as I can tell, the most reliable way to get rep is to remind Trenloe of men dancing in kilts and it accrues upwards at a steady rate.

How is this? (https://i.qkme.me/3qcexn.jpg)

Trenloe
November 29th, 2016, 05:14
I see some large negative rep "awards" coming very soon.

Varsuuk
November 29th, 2016, 07:48

I hope the posters in the USA had a good Thanksgiving. I am amazed I have flight off the turkey coma this long ...

Yup... I'm still unable to push my chair as close as I normally do to my desk... and not in a GOOD way.
It doesn't help that our wedding anniversary (28th) follows on the heels of TG. It was worse when my Grandfather was alive and my Dad lived in NY. Since we had birthdays one week apart (20/27/4th) and there was always huge special meals from Grandma and the family.

I've been out to restaurants 3 times in last couple days. Tomorrow we are having a sendoff at the bar for our division's VP, so those calories will not help either...

I was once 6'2"+ and 125-135 until late 30s... then I began to look like a (and I quote the Witch...before anyone things to NEG me, my fiancee at that time WAS a self-professed Wiccan...so...) "pregnant catepillar" (I suspect it was beer-related then...)
I'm hovering between 190-205 these days and while those numbers would normally not look bad for a 6'2" guy... I could use some redistribution :)

Yeah... I could also use sleep judging by my rambles. Nearly 3AM, son has early gym at 8am... bah ... then work of course... double-bah - I so look forward to mid December...