PDA

View Full Version : Updated FG shows old extensions

Callum
November 23rd, 2016, 22:10
I've just updated my FG installation to v.3.2.1 (I skipped 3.2.0). I also took care to update all the extensions that I use to compatible versions (and renamed all the old extensions that I no longer use). However, when I run FG now, it shows v.3.2.1 in the top right corner, but when I go to load a campaign, the list of extensions in the Campaign Details pane is still showing all the old extensions. When I click on the folder icon at top right to open the data folder, this shows all the new extensions (in the extensions folder). What's going on here?

Moon Wizard
November 23rd, 2016, 22:32
You need to move the old extensions completely out of the extensions subfolder in the FG data folder. If you just renamed them, then they will overlap with each other, since you select them by name.

Regards,
JPG

Callum
November 23rd, 2016, 22:35
Sorry, JPG, I should have been clearer - I renamed them to zip files, which I thought would effectively remove them. In any case, it's not showing the new extensions, either.

EDIT: I just moved all the old extensions out of the extensions folder. When I fire up FG and go to load a campaign, it still shows exactly the same old list of extensions.

Moon Wizard
November 23rd, 2016, 22:39
I would check that the data folder path in Settings matches the folder you are changing.

Also, as a more complete overhaul; you could save off your data folder, uninstall, re-install, and copy over everything but extensions.

Regards,
JPG

Callum
November 23rd, 2016, 22:47
Yes, the data folder path in Settings matches the one I am changing. I guess it's going to have to be a full uninstall and re-install for me, then. :-( That'll have to be another evening...

Callum
November 24th, 2016, 11:12
Out of interest, where does FG get the list of extensions in the Campaign Details pane? I assumed it was live from the extensions folder, but I guess that's not the case...?

damned
November 24th, 2016, 11:16
It is the case. There is something awry with your setup or what you are doing... :)

Callum
November 24th, 2016, 15:54
Okay, thanks, damned. I just can't understand how I can make changes to the folder that FG tells me it's pointing at, but then FG doesn't see the changes...

Trenloe
November 24th, 2016, 16:16
Does it do the same (show old extensions) when you create a brand new campaign?

If you select some of the old extensions do they actually load? Does the FG chat window show the old extension versions or the new?

Pick the file name of an old extension that is showing, but is not the the \extensions directory and do a complete search of your hard drive (all locations) to see if there is some weird location where the old extensions are.

Nickademus
November 24th, 2016, 18:37
I don't know if this is helpful at all, but it should be noted that the name of an extension shown in the FG Launcher is not the name of the extension file in the extensions folder, but rather the value of the <name> attribute in the extension.xml file. Could it be that you are changing the names of the extension files but still seeing the old names that FG is pulling from the xml's?

Callum
November 24th, 2016, 21:05
Thanks for your help, Nickademus and Trenloe. I tried a couple of Trenloe's troubleshooting suggestions. Creating a brand new campaign showed all the old extensions, too, and not the new ones. I then did a full search for one of the old extensions, and the .zip file only showed up where I'd moved it to - but it reminded me that I had unzipped many of the files into sub-folders in the extensions folder, so that I could look at and alter them. I moved all these sub-folders out of the extensions folder and fired FG up again - and, as if by magic, all the new extensions now appear in the list (and none of the old ones)! I'm still not sure why they weren't showing up before, but I'm happy that the problem has been solved.

damned
November 24th, 2016, 22:03
If you have an unzipped extension (or module or ruleset) FG will use that over the packaged one - always. So if you download a new version but have an older unzipped one you will only see the unzipped one.
Glad you got it solved.

Callum
November 25th, 2016, 11:25
If you have an unzipped extension (or module or ruleset) FG will use that over the packaged one - always. So if you download a new version but have an older unzipped one you will only see the unzipped one.
Now, this is something that I never knew - and it's quite important to know! I had assumed (foolishly, I now see) that FG would always use the .ext files as its source.

Andraax
November 25th, 2016, 13:29
Now, this is something that I never knew - and it's quite important to know! I had assumed (foolishly, I now see) that FG would always use the .ext files as its source.

This way you can make changes to experiment without having to touch your .ext file.

Moon Wizard
November 26th, 2016, 02:15
Also, the .ext and .pak files get overwritten on updates, so you need to be able to make changes to develop stuff before you publish. We use this internally all the time.

Regards,
JPG