PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty creating characters (D&D 3.5)

magritte
November 22nd, 2016, 21:26
Hello

I'm sure this is a stupid newbie question but I'm having difficulty assigning races and classes to characters using 3.5. From what I read in the manual, it seems like I ought to be able to drag the box beside the heading "humans" from the races subheading in the library to the race line in the character sheet, but nothing is happening. I'm running in DM mode, so it shouldn't be a permission issue. Obviously, I can type "human" on the line, but drop and drag to form the link is usually how things work in FG. I've tried it from the heading with all the races listed, and opening up the humans subfolder and dragging it over from there.

I have the same problem with classes. I can create a line for class, but when I try and drag and drop a box over, nothing happens. What am I missing?

Nickademus
November 22nd, 2016, 21:28
Are you reading the manual for D&D 5e or D&D 3.5e? The 5e ruleset has this functionality; the 3.5e ruleset does not. You must manually type things in for D&D 3.5e.

Trenloe
November 22nd, 2016, 21:38
Welcome magritte!

As Nickademus says, for 3.5E (Pathfinder as well) you'll need to enter that data manually. FG is not a character creation application and so the character sheets have to be filled out. Some "stuff" can be dragged to the character sheet - abilities, feats, proficiencies, equipment, spells. But, mostly, there isn't much automation around dragging these - they add links to allow you to reference data if you need, and create base weapon & spell entries that you may need to modify based off feats/abilities/situations/etc..

If you use HeroLab or PCGen character creation utilities you can import data from them into Fantasy Grounds. Some info here: https://www.fg-con.com/information/pathfinder-society-organized-play/preparing-your-pc-for-fantasy-grounds/

magritte
November 22nd, 2016, 21:44
Are you reading the manual for D&D 5e or D&D 3.5e? The 5e ruleset has this functionality; the 3.5e ruleset does not. You must manually type things in for D&D 3.5e.

Ah, okay, I assumed that the different rulesets would behave the same way. So in 3.5e, the character sheet won't automatically update the modifiers and so on to account for the character's race and class? Everything needs to be entered manually or am I still missing something? Thanks for the quick reply!

Trenloe
November 22nd, 2016, 21:46
So in 3.5e, the character sheet won't automatically update the modifiers and so on to account for the character's race and class? Everything needs to be entered manually ...
Correct.

magritte
November 24th, 2016, 03:34
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm getting to the point that I can't get much farther from reading manuals and watching tutorials and need to put things into practice to really do things. I may look up the character creation software first, though.

damned
November 24th, 2016, 10:57
Dive in magrite!