PDA

View Full Version : Identifying the correct token

SpiritofFire
November 22nd, 2016, 20:42
I had a big battle recently and it was frustratingly difficult. Is there a quick way to identify the correct token according to the turn order?

Right now, combat tracker will say its Monster 38's turn, and on the map, I'll have to individually hover over each of the token's until I find Monster 38. I even had to enlist the players to help search since it took so long. Sometimes I can see a faint white outline over the token but it's too hard to see. I even enabled the center-cam but it's not much help if there are 20 other tokens in the same area...

Nickademus
November 22nd, 2016, 20:52
Double click the token image on the combat tracker for the current creature and the map will center on the token of that creature. Regardless, you can automatically target from the current token by Ctrl+left clicking a target. The white lines will show you which token is doing the targeting. Also, I've heard of GMs using the mouse wheel on the token image of the combat tracker to enlarge and shrink the token or using the visibility toggle to make the current creature's token disappear and reappear.

Zacchaeus
November 22nd, 2016, 22:03
For what ruleset is this?

Certainly in CORE based rulesets (at least I think its all CORE based rulesets) in the very latest update there is now an option to auto centre the map on the currently active token. Make sure that you have that option set to 'On' in options (4th one down from the top).

Trenloe
November 22nd, 2016, 22:20
The center on token functionality is great - either as part of the creature activating or double-clicking on the token in the combat tracker. This will only help if the map window isn't fully zoomed out - i.e. it has been zoomed in or resized to not show all of the map. Otherwise FG won't be able to move the map view to "center" on anything.

Nickademus
November 22nd, 2016, 22:31
Also, I've heard that even zoomed in, if the view is at the edge of the map it won't be able to center on the token in some instances as the view is already as far as it can go in that direction.

SpiritofFire
November 22nd, 2016, 22:39
Im using the 5e ruleset. I already have auto center on, but when theres a big cluster of monsters its hard to tell which one is center. It also doenst work too well when youre near the edge of the map. Is there no option to make the token stand out more? If i can edit some config file to make the default token outline red and thicker, thatll work too.

Trenloe
November 22nd, 2016, 22:57
Is there no option to make the token stand out more? If i can edit some config file to make the default token outline red and thicker, thatll work too.
There are the other two things Nickademus mentioned - using the visibility toggle to "flash" the token, or quickly zoom the token size.

You may also find that if tokens are the same size as the square that you won't see much of the white highlight for the active token. If you use auto-sizing of tokens, you might want to check if it is set to 80% rather than 100%.

damned
November 22nd, 2016, 23:46
My preference is to scroll wheel to enlarge/reduce the icon size via the Combat Tracker.
If you change visibility of the Icon it is quick to spot it but it removes anyones active targeting against that token.

Andraax
November 23rd, 2016, 00:40
There are the other two things Nickademus mentioned - using the visibility toggle to "flash" the token, or quickly zoom the token size.

You may also find that if tokens are the same size as the square that you won't see much of the white highlight for the active token. If you use auto-sizing of tokens, you might want to check if it is set to 80% rather than 100%.

You can "flash" the token without using the "hide" button. Using the "hide" button will remove the targeting to and from that token. Just a single click with turn on a highlight, another single click will turn it off. Works best if auto-scale is set to 80% as you mention.