PDA

View Full Version : Story Template question

APPR3NTIC3
November 21st, 2016, 20:16
I just started using the new Story Templates feature and I had a couple of questions regarding Bracketed Text [] and Tagged Text <>.

From what i read on this page (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Story_Templates)

You can use a 'pipe' symbol or '|' to call a certain column from the table's roll. (i.e. [Slashing Criticals|2] )

I also see you can recall what the table produced with <Slashing Criticals>

but I can't seem to recall a certain column from the result on the table, is there a way around this?

i.e.
[Slashing Criticals|2] - Rolls and shows the second column's results
<Slashing Criticals|1> - Calls the first column's results from the roll on the previous line.
<Slashing Criticals|3> - Calls the third column's results from the roll on the previous line.

Zacchaeus
November 21st, 2016, 21:42
You don't need the pipe in the <> tag. Whatever is rolled for the [] tag is stored in a little hidey hole and recalled by the <> tags. So the <> tags aren't interested in pipes - or indeed any other smoking paraphernalia :)

And also of course the <> tags aren't calling anything except the hidey hole so you can't use them to make rolls only recall what was stored by the [] call.

APPR3NTIC3
November 21st, 2016, 22:36
So if I were to make a table with say 3 rows and 2 columns, how would I show a result from both columns in two different spots of the output, without it re-rolling? Could you give a Mock Code example?

Zacchaeus
November 21st, 2016, 23:01
You can't. When you roll on a table it returns the result for all of the columns which pertain to the roll. You can use the pipe to restrict the result to just one of the columns but if you call the table again it will reroll.

It it depends on what you are trying to achieve but you will likely have to split the information you want to retrieve from more than one table rather from a multi column single table.

APPR3NTIC3
November 21st, 2016, 23:35
I just had some ideas I was trying out to establish how complex I could do some of the auto-generate outputs. Might be a little too much for it in it's current iteration. Still a really awesome feature. Can't wait for it to move to Unity.