PDA

View Full Version : 1939 - Finnish Winter War - Frozen Hell and Sisu

Dr. Strangelove
November 19th, 2016, 13:15
Duration: A session will take about 4 hours.
Planned Frequency: Weekly
Term: Until the Campaign is complete
Text or Voice: Text

I'm looking for reliable players willing to play a GURPS 3ed WW2 Campaign set during the Winter War - it will be quite realistic and consequently, quite hard. Players will play as Finnish soldiers defending ground north of Lake Ladoga. It is not meant to follow history exactly, and players start behind the enemy lines, trying to get to their unit, fighting cold and dwindling food supply. The goal is not to mow down hordes of Russians, but to survive, and delay the Soviets whenever possible.

Players are part of the 13th Division – fresh reservists commanded by an equally inexperienced officer, 2nd Lieutenant Emil Österman. Fortunately their platoon leader is Sergeant Wiljo Laitinen, an old veteran who fought during the Finnish Civil War against the Reds in 1918. You are stationed north of Lake Ladoga, trying to stop the Russian Juggernaut. Soviets seem unstoppable and your unit has been tasked with burning local villages to the ground and retreat. While doing so, your platoon got lost and now your first order of business is to get back to your lines. Fortunately enough, Sergeant seems to know the area pretty well, being a hunter in these parts before the war, but you don’t know where the Soviets are – have they overrun your defensive lines? Are you encircled? What about your food reserves that will last for 2-3 days at most. You need to do something, and do it quickly.

Soviets attacked only a couple days ago but they already seem unstoppable. You are outnumbered 50-1 but will make them pay dearly for every yard of the Finnish land.

You don't need to know history that well, the Sergeant who commands your platoon will introduce the world properly and provide historical background, you must have basic understanding of military commands though, as he or the lieutenant who commands your company will give you direct orders.

If you don't know how to create a character, I have several already prepared for you to choose from. They all offer certain advantages that the party can use in this harsh world. Some can help the team survive in the wilderness, while other are more useful in combat. None of them are Hollywood heroes, I tried to keep things realistic.

Note that equipment will be provided for you - you will get standard equipment of a Finnish soldier at the time.

Main Features
1. Fighting, survival, glory and despair.
2. Sisu - a Finnish state of mind - mix of guts, tenacity, daring, fortitude and willpower. It is a collective spirit, one of strong sense of duty, quick thinking, iron will and love for your country.
3. Snow and frost - sort of a given. A LOT of it. You need to be careful and really manage your exposure - try to hide in a shelter every now and then, there are many ways in which you can lower your frost exposure. You are well equiped and your uniform will let you last a long time, but you are only a man, you can freeze out there too.
4. Hunting - you may need to hunt to survive.
5. Soviet soldiers - again, A LOT of them. You will need to avoid them if they are too strong, and seek detached, small units that are easy pray. It takes a certain animal cunning.
6. Soviet tanks - right now there is nothing you can really do about them, you need to hide quickly and try to evade them. Later on you will get Molotovs (which Finns actually invented) and anti-tank rifles (try to get one, Soviets have them and you may capture one, but even then, tanks are really dangerous, and Soviets have the largest mechanized force in the world).
7. Dynamic world - the world changes around you as the war progresses, and you can influence it. Soviets will tire over time and grow more afraid of Finnish tenacity, but that too will change over time - Soviets might receive reinforcements and they might lose entire units, and always remember that odds are against you. Also, Soviet units move on the map all the time - you can bump into them, get past them, ambush them, wait for them, avoid them. Kill many Soviets and they might send units specifically to hunt you down. Not everything is random - I'll replicate plausible orders that Soviet units around you will receive and they will follow them, although they will get confused and lost too. That is your chance to catch them scared and tired.
8. Medals and promotions - do really well and you will be properly awarded.
9. Quiet moments - enjoy coffee and doughnuts from your field club, if you can get to it. Use your rest well.
10. It is not all about numbers - numbers often matter, but your choices are what matters most. To know what your advantages and disadvantages are, to make correct assessments, to cooperate, to know when to fight and when to retreat, to always scout area around you properly - that's how you will survive this war. Tests, rules, and technical stuff - that's all for me to do. Just relax, play, and choose what to do wisely. I will calculate everything and leave you to roleplay your character as you wish. I think you can play without knowing GURPS at all - just pick up a pre-made character and you're all set. Leave the rest to me ;-)
11. Backup characters - I really recommend having one. Alternatively, you can use one of the available pre-made characters or I can create one for you.

And the last thing:
12. Player-centered game. I don't know what you want, you do. The game will change to suit how you want to play, just let me know. For example - if you'd like to command a unit over time, you might get a chance to when the platoon is divided. If you'd like to follow orders and feel like an ordinary soldier, I'll tailor it to your liking. I've GMed many times and I've tried it all - mixing tactics and roleplaying is what I like to do best in games like this. It is equally fun when you're all soldiers and when you are team leaders who co-operate on the battlefield and a mix is fun too - some players are squad leaders and others are their soldiers. It's all fun when you like it.

I plan to start the game on 26/11 9:00 PM CET. I plan to play on Fridays every week, same bat-hour, same bat-channel, unless you'd like to play more often.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=2264

Dr. Strangelove
November 19th, 2016, 14:40
Some additional rules:

1. Skills must match individual's profession before the war. You are conscripts, not regular soldiers. We're using 60 points per character.
2. You must speak Finnish, you can however speak Swedish too if you want, even as a native language. Those who spoke solely Swedish were not assigned to Finnish-speaking units at this point. You can speak Russian or other language too.
3. Being soldiers you should use Rifleman template from Gurps WW2 Corebook. Note that your skills should reflect your military training.

Short list of available pre-made characters:
1. Ernst Estlander - intellectual, geography teacher. He knows Russian, geography, can shoot, gamble, cycle and cook. He can also sing to cheer others and raise their spirits. If needed he can also
2. Toivo Halonen - good hunter, can shoot well and is a pretty good soldier. Short and agile. Fanatic anti-communist, with a strong sense of duty. Lacks social skills and is illiterate. He somewhat dislikes people who come from towns. He comes from a small village of hunters.
3. Eljas Haavisto - mechanic, can drive a car and repair one, as well as a broken gun. He paid some attention during his military training. He is secretly communist, although Trotskyist and thus hates Stalin and his henchmen. He can shoot well and will be quite useful during battle, however he doesn't feel very comfortable in the forest which can be quite a disadvantage if he is lost there. He should be assisted by someone who knows the way.
4. Taino Erkko - a factory worker. Quite strong, not very agile. He doesn't speak much, prefers to get the job done right away. He can shoot decently and is a good at brawling and intimidating. He has a strong sense of own independance and must be kept in line or else he might show cavalierness on the battlefield.
5. Aarne Hiltunen - a thief and addicted to tobacco. He can move quite stealthily and camouflage well. He is deadly with knife, a bit less with a gun. A very good scout but compulsive gambler and liar. Has a good night and peripheral vision, but has a low pain threshold.

Note that whoever picks a character first will get it - hurry or your favorite pick may not be available soon.
Each character comes with their own character sheet which will be revealed later.