PDA

View Full Version : Some Suggestions

SikSavant
September 23rd, 2005, 19:15
Here are a few things I've stumbled into as I continue to explore this cool product. Everything here is IMHO, but would be great to see addressed in the next patch.

o Sheets should not be scrollable if their entire content is visible. Further, a sheet should not be scrollable well past the end of its content; it should stop at the ornamental end cap graphic as a visual cue that the sheet is at its end.

o Links that open new sheets to images, or other text sheets, display the new sheet on top of all others the first time only. If the newly opened sheet is covered (not closed) by another sheet, clicking the link again does not raise the new sheet to the topmost layer; the GM must find it manually.

Example: Open Story, click link 'cathedral - second floor', click link 'map of the upper floor, click in the story sheet to bring it on top of the map, click link 'map of the upper floor'. The map remains below the story sheet.

o Sheets that are resized with the Ctrl key, do not remember their new size once closed and reopened. Sheets should have a radial menu option to be restored to their default size, and in all other cases remember the GM's sizing choice.

o When dragging out the size of a grid for an image map, holding down the Shift key should cause the top-left of the grid to align with the top-left of the image regardless of where I have clicked to declare the grid sizing. This would obviate the need to precisely position a grid for maps that are already grid aligned (like Dundjinni maps). I can clarify if need be.

o Image sheets need an immediate means of returning to 100% zoom. Perhaps clicking on the tiny magnifying glass icon in the upper-right could do this.

o When panning an image sheet, the user is presented with a Hand Cursor, which infers a "push/pull" metaphor for navigation. Unfortunately, the user must perform the exact opposite action of that which is implied. I suggest reversing the Hand Cursor behavior (dragging downward should slide unviewed upper image area into view), or altering the Cursor to become a Four-Way Arrow Cursor.

o After having dragged a "personality" into the Combat Tracker sheet, a link should be generated on the combat sheet immediately to the left of the name field that links right back to the corresponding Personality sheet. This would enable the GM to quickly view details on a specific combat entity without having to track down each specific personality sheet. Because of other discussion threads, this may already be in the works, dunno.

o The "desktop" needs a shortcut means of closing all presently open sheets, as a means of "clearing the field" and allowing the GM/PC to re-open only what is desired/needed.

Thanx for listening!

kalmarjan
September 23rd, 2005, 20:31
o Sheets that are resized with the Ctrl key, do not remember their new size once closed and reopened. Sheets should have a radial menu option to be restored to their default size, and in all other cases remember the GM's sizing choice.

As far as I know, all tabs that are resized, NPC sheets, Monster sheets and item sheets remember their sizes when I use CTRL to resize. One thing I would like to see, is when you have a story book with 14 tabs... (Don't ask. :) ), is the program save your preferences, so when I log into FG the next time, I don't have to manually resize this everytime.

But in the game, if I minimize or close the sheets in question, they retain their size. Perhaps I misunderstood the question... been known to happen once in a while. :oops:

Cheers,

Sandeman

gurney9999
September 23rd, 2005, 20:39
Links that open new sheets to images, or other text sheets, display the new sheet on top of all others the first time only. If the newly opened sheet is covered (not closed) by another sheet, clicking the link again does not raise the new sheet to the topmost layer; the GM must find it manually.
Is this true for everyone? I was working with multiple images on the screen the other day and when I always clicked on a link to an image already open but beneath other images, it always popped up to the top layer. (I'm going from memory, so can someone test this)?

Schiz
September 23rd, 2005, 21:15
Links that open new sheets to images, or other text sheets, display the new sheet on top of all others the first time only. If the newly opened sheet is covered (not closed) by another sheet, clicking the link again does not raise the new sheet to the topmost layer; the GM must find it manually.
Is this true for everyone? I was working with multiple images on the screen the other day and when I always clicked on a link to an image already open but beneath other images, it always popped up to the top layer. (I'm going from memory, so can someone test this)?
tested and works fine.. so SikSavant has a bug or something...

SikSavant
September 24th, 2005, 12:12
Did anybody actually try the example steps I posted? For me, this is 100% reproducable with the included adventure, A Tale of Dinor.

RE: Ctrl-Resizing, if the sheet is *minimized*, it will restore to it's altered dimensions. If the sheet is *closed* it will (re)open to it's default dimensions. Sorry if I was unclear earlier.