PDA

View Full Version : Connecting two audio sources in teamspeak?

Gwydion
November 18th, 2016, 13:46
Hey, guys. Question. I now have syrinscape running beautifully through fantasy grounds and teamspeak. Had a great session last night using it! Now I'm getting ambitious. I like some of the tabletop audio background loops. See https://tabletopaudio.com/about.html

Tabletop audio just runs by going to their url and running the player directly from your browser.

Where I'm a little confused is how do I get the tabletop audio to run through my VAC? I've read Dulux-Oz tutorial many times and it seems like I just set an additional identity in teamspeak and set to output to the VAC with continuous transmission. I guess what I don't understand is how will it know that I want the sounds from the browser to play through teamspeak? I've never really thought about exactly how it all works. I set up a new identity in teamspeak, but I'm a little unclear how I tell my chrome browser to play its sound through the VAC.

Any help much appreciated. Definitely a nice to have an not completely necessary!

dulux-oz
November 18th, 2016, 14:07
OK, so you're gonna have to get an extra piece of software - a mixer. I use Voicemeter Banana because its free and has 5 input and 5 output channels.

So you set up your voice on 1 channel, Syrinscape on a 2nd, and your 3rd source on a third, then send each channel to an separated output channel, each one connected to either a different Teamspeak profile or even mix the two non-voice channels into the one output channel to one teamspeak profile.

The Voicemeter website (google it :) ) has some pretty goof doco on setting up this type of thing, so with that you should be able to work things out. You also might need a 2nd V-audio cable - you can get one (actually two) extra from the Voicemeter website.

Of course, others may have different solutions - it doesn't really matter, because it can be done (the solution above doesn't cost anything, which might be a plus).

Gwydion
November 18th, 2016, 14:15
OK, so you're gonna have to get an extra piece of software - a mixer. I use Voicemeter Banana because its free and has 5 input and 5 output channels.

So you set up your voice on 1 channel, Syrinscape on a 2nd, and your 3rd source on a third, then send each channel to an separated output channel, each one connected to either a different Teamspeak profile or even mix the two non-voice channels into the one output channel to one teamspeak profile.

The Voicemeter website (google it :) ) has some pretty goof doco on setting up this type of thing, so with that you should be able to work things out. You also might need a 2nd V-audio cable - you can get one (actually two) extra from the Voicemeter website.

Of course, others may have different solutions - it doesn't really matter, because it can be done (the solution above doesn't cost anything, which might be a plus).

Awesome. Glad I wasn't missing something TOO obvious! I actually think I already have the voicemeter banana downloaded just haven't had a need or known what else I would need it for. Now I do! Thanks as always for the quick reply!

Trenloe
November 18th, 2016, 16:52
Glad I wasn't missing something TOO obvious!
Actually, you might be... ;)

I don't use anything different than one TeamSpeak profile for music/SFX (plus the main one for voice). I use Syrinscape, browser based audio and local audio files (playing through media player) all at the same time. Just set your windows default audio to be the same VAC line you use for TeamSpeak capture before you start Syrinscape, your web browser and Windows medial player (or whatever audio files player you use).

Control the individual volume of each using the volume slider in each application.

Gwydion
November 18th, 2016, 17:15
Actually, you might be... ;)

I don't use anything different than one TeamSpeak profile for music/SFX (plus the main one for voice). I use Syrinscape, browser based audio and local audio files (playing through media player) all at the same time. Just set your windows default audio to be the same VAC line you use for TeamSpeak capture before you start Syrinscape, your web browser and Windows medial player (or whatever audio files player you use).

Control the individual volume of each using the volume slider in each application.

Hmmm. I definitely know the drill about Syrinscape and having it off before I switch my default audio to the VAC line. So, I think what you're saying is that if I have Syrinscape off and my browser closed, I can then switch my default audio to the VAC line. Then I boot up Syrinscape like normal and then I open my browser like normal. After the two are launched I can then switch my default audio back to my speakers. Now when I launch the second profile in teamspeak (which I typically only use for Syrinscape), it should now pipe any audio from Syrinscape AND my browser through that same channel.

If that is true I did miss something very easy and I need to test this out! Thanks, Trenloe!

Trenloe
November 18th, 2016, 17:31
So, I think what you're saying is that if I have Syrinscape off and my browser closed, I can then switch my default audio to the VAC line. Then I boot up Syrinscape like normal and then I open my browser like normal. After the two are launched I can then switch my default audio back to my speakers. Now when I launch the second profile in teamspeak (which I typically only use for Syrinscape), it should now pipe any audio from Syrinscape AND my browser through that same channel.
Exactly. I do this all the time.

Gwydion
November 18th, 2016, 17:34
Exactly. I do this all the time.

That's just TOO easy! Thanks so much. Very interested in trying this as I LOVE Syrinscape but I also really like the ambience of tabletop audio...

NotRussellCrowe
November 20th, 2016, 21:31
Good afternoon!

Hopefully you don't mind me involving myself in this discussion. I just setup VB-Cable to pipe in music from Google Play Music through my web browser. However, after getting it all setup and working when I switch my Default Device back to my "speakers" then the browser (Google Chrome) uses that as the audio source and muting or changing volumes on the second TS profile does not alter the audio. I seems to me that I have to leave VB Cable as my default source while playing. Is this expected behaviour or have I done something incorrect possibly?

My speakers are set as Default Communications Device. My Mic is set as Default Device and Default Communication Device.

Thanks!

Kelly

damned
November 20th, 2016, 21:56
Good afternoon!

Hopefully you don't mind me involving myself in this discussion. I just setup VB-Cable to pipe in music from Google Play Music through my web browser. However, after getting it all setup and working when I switch my Default Device back to my "speakers" then the browser (Google Chrome) uses that as the audio source and muting or changing volumes on the second TS profile does not alter the audio. I seems to me that I have to leave VB Cable as my default source while playing. Is this expected behaviour or have I done something incorrect possibly?

My speakers are set as Default Communications Device. My Mic is set as Default Device and Default Communication Device.

Thanks!

Kelly

Some apps dont change if you change this setting once they are running.... Your browser does update on the fly...

NotRussellCrowe
November 20th, 2016, 22:11
Some apps dont change if you change this setting once they are running.... Your browser does update on the fly...

I'm sure if it was any other situation I'd be happy about that too!

Thanks, damned!

Gwydion
November 21st, 2016, 13:24
Good afternoon!

Thanks!

Kelly

I'm still testing using both syrinscape and browser based background music. So, if you leave your playback as VB cable as the default source, does that effect anything else? Will it mess up any other sound for me? I'm going to try that next session so I can play around with tabletop audio as some background music.

NotRussellCrowe
November 21st, 2016, 13:30
I'm still testing using both syrinscape and browser based background music. So, if you leave your playback as VB cable as the default source, does that effect anything else? Will it mess up any other sound for me? I'm going to try that next session so I can play around with tabletop audio as some background music.

Good morning, Gwydion.

I believe that if you leave VB Cable as your default then anything you open up while in game will be broadcast to your party. So if you take some Skype phone call they will hear or play a YouTube video on break then everyone will hear it.

I tested with MS Edge and it still switched over. I'll give IE11 a try, maybe Firefox too. I don't think it's a big deal for myself but would be nice to just work the way I want. :)

Gwydion
November 21st, 2016, 13:36
Good morning, Gwydion.

I believe that if you leave VB Cable as your default then anything you open up while in game will be broadcast to your party. So if you take some Skype phone call they will hear or play a YouTube video on break then everyone will hear it.

I tested with MS Edge and it still switched over. I'll give IE11 a try, maybe Firefox too. I don't think it's a big deal for myself but would be nice to just work the way I want. :)

Ok. That makes a lot of sense. The biggest concern/question for me is that I stream on twitch. So, when I'm playing I have the following open:

OBS Studio
Teamspeak
Deepbot (installed locally)
revlovbot (chrome)
Fantasy Grounds
Syrinscape
Realmworks (no sound)
tabletop audio (chrome) - I'm going to try this based on the feedback in this forum.

The only thing I'm not sure of is if I leave the playback on VB cable, will it change anything the stream hears? Right now they can hear my syrinscape and my voice even without push to talk. Anyway, everything is working great for me right now but I do really like the background sounds of tabletop audio combined with the one-shots I love in syrinscape. I'll try it with my thursday night group next week unless we can reschedule to a day this week other than Thanksgiving!
The only thing I'm not sure of is that when I

NotRussellCrowe
November 21st, 2016, 13:39
Ok. That makes a lot of sense. The biggest concern/question for me is that I stream on twitch. So, when I'm playing I have the following open:

OBS Studio
Teamspeak
Deepbot (installed locally)
revlovbot (chrome)
Fantasy Grounds
Syrinscape
Realmworks (no sound)
tabletop audio (chrome) - I'm going to try this based on the feedback in this forum.

The only thing I'm not sure of is if I leave the playback on VB cable, will it change anything the stream hears? Right now they can hear my syrinscape and my voice even without push to talk. Anyway, everything is working great for me right now but I do really like the background sounds of tabletop audio combined with the one-shots I love in syrinscape. I'll try it with my thursday night group next week unless we can reschedule to a day this week other than Thanksgiving!
The only thing I'm not sure of is that when I

Please post back how it works for you. I haven't looked into tabletop audio or Syrinscape yet but may if my players don't just mute the background music stream :)

Gwydion
November 21st, 2016, 13:47
Please post back how it works for you. I haven't looked into tabletop audio or Syrinscape yet but may if my players don't just mute the background music stream :)

Will do. I can vouch for Syrinscape personally. I have it set up to where I pay for the subscription monthly. My players don't have to pay for anything as I pipe it down Teamspeak. I think Dulux-Oz has the extension dialed in from what I can tell now. What I love is once I set up chatsounds, I don't have to remember during the session or click on anything. I just decide I want "acid splash" sound to play when a player casts it (and there are some tricks on how best to set up the chat trigger) and it plays automatically. I've gotten really good feedback from the players on it. I try not to have a sound for everything, just enough so they feel immersed.

I also set up a few sounds I can trigger during encounters. For example, yesterday the party encounters zombies and a mummy. I had a sound one-shot set up and when we started the encounter and a couple times during the encounter I triggered a one-shot of the zombies growling and the mummy moaning. They loved it. I put it up on youtube and twitch if you have any interest in seeing what it looks like. The session was yesterday and it was for Unknown Whom.

NotRussellCrowe
November 21st, 2016, 13:50
Will do. I can vouch for Syrinscape personally. I have it set up to where I pay for the subscription monthly. My players don't have to pay for anything as I pipe it down Teamspeak. I think Dulux-Oz has the extension dialed in from what I can tell now. What I love is once I set up chatsounds, I don't have to remember during the session or click on anything. I just decide I want "acid splash" sound to play when a player casts it (and there are some tricks on how best to set up the chat trigger) and it plays automatically. I've gotten really good feedback from the players on it. I try not to have a sound for everything, just enough so they feel immersed.

I also set up a few sounds I can trigger during encounters. For example, yesterday the party encounters zombies and a mummy. I had a sound one-shot set up and when we started the encounter and a couple times during the encounter I triggered a one-shot of the zombies growling and the mummy moaning. They loved it. I put it up on youtube and twitch if you have any interest in seeing what it looks like. The session was yesterday and it was for Unknown Whom.

I just checked out tabletop audio, what a great site! Haven't done much with Syrinscape, not even the free trial so lots to look into yet. I like this idea of keying sounds to events in FG but that might be a future task, I think right now I'll start with some music and slowly build up from there. Though a howl or screech from tabletop audio thrown in wouldn't be the worst thing in the world :)

Thanks and happy gaming!

Kelly