PDA

View Full Version : GREETINGS! Newcomer with a suggestion and a question

Tigon
November 17th, 2016, 23:22
Greetings adventurers!!

So i do believe ive made the decision to go with Fantasy Grounds for my VTT needs and it may not be for the reason one would think.

I had done some extensive research on various VTT products and was really initially inclined to go with Roll20 mostly because of the Android/iOS app they have since my primary use for a VTT will be running an in person game with friends at my house. I'm a successful semi-pro DJ as well as a Service Engineer in the Xbox Live Network Operations Center so I'm a busy guy and really need software that is going to make planning, prepping and running a campaign less time consuming and labor intensive than it has been in the past when I attempted to run games. I also liked that all that was needed to use it was a web browser, and was very fond of their 'jukebox' feature, until I learned it was nerfed by the Soundcloud APIs. The big hesitation for me was the fact that they announced their license agreement with WOTC back in July but still don't have the PHB & DMG available. So I made a post on their forums saying Id been weighing their product against yours (FG) and asked their community to sell me on why I should use their product over yours and why they didnt have license content up yet. Not only did I not get a response, but they deleted my post stating I violated their TOS. When I looked at the TOS they linked to, I couldnt find a section that I violated. It appears as though if you mention their competition on their forums, they delete the post. This to me was a huge red flag. If they are SO afraid of you that they wont even let people mention your product name on their forums, you must be the better solution, hands down. But, beyond that, I just really dont appreciate being censored and treated like that, and Ive already been treated very awesomely by the folks here at FG and that means more to me than virtually anything else.

So since then i've done even more in depth reserching of Fantasy Grounds and ive found even more reasons why this AWESOME software is the right choice for me. Ive watched 5 or 6 episodes of Dulux Ox's Tutorial series which, while insanely helpful and thourough, they're quite dull, slow, and a bit monotone. I understand the need to be so, not everyone can be as computer savvy as others of us and Dulux Ox does a FANTASTIC job covering all of the basics for new users. But for someone who works on massive amounts of servers across the world, I dont need the step by step of "Double click on In the window, right click. Select New. Then Select Folder. Type Fantasy_Ground_Data. Double click on the new folder. Right Click. Select New then Select Folder. Type "Characters". Right Click, select new. Then Select Folder. Type "Rulesets". etc. Again, i understand why its needed, and i did learn a lot from it, i just wish there were suscinct options for more computer centric users that was like (Create 2 folders in this directory called "Characters" and "Rulesets". Really, im kinda splitting hairs here though.

I do have 1 suggestion and 1 question.

Suggestion:
You should really have a whole forum/board/section that is dedicated to new commers. An introduce yourself thread would be cool, as well as pinned posts to new player resources much like Moon Wizard's reply to this 'New-Lost-and-Afraid' thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34904-New-Lost-and-Afraid I mean, this must be my 10th visit or so to the forums here and this is the first I heard mention of the Sample Campaign, UserManual or Wiki. It could also be a valuable place for finding common obstacles in the initial learning curve that could make initial introduction to the software easier to assimilate.

Question:
If I am using FG for a local in person game, can I set it up to run on local area network only? I really like the feature of being able to put something out in say, Dwarven, only the players who's characters speak that language could read it; players able to whisper the GM/each other for... reasons; and a few other features that would need each player-client connected to the gm-host, however, Id like to avoid giving the players full internet access to things like Facebook, etc.

What would be really cool, would be to have the map on a TV or a projector (been looking at tons of solutions for making my own table, havnet decided which direction to go yet) but then to have each player with something like a tablet or small laptop or perhaps even a custom built raspberry pi 3 touchscreen "Player terminal", but id hope to limit functionality on the terminal to just like the chat window/dice and player sheets/reference docs. Id want all the maps, movement etc to be on the main screen. Not sure if this functionality is possible, but I'm down to tackle the task of seeing if i can make it work.

Anyway

TL;DR: Roll20 lost me due to them censoring my post and being kinda rude. And after doing more research into FG i've found so much more that has me excited to dig into this software. | Would love to see a Newcommers Board for people to introduce themselves/have a resource for n00b stuff. | Can I use FG on a Local Area Network with no Internet Access for my players? | Have some really pretty ambitious projects to try out with this, stay tuned.

Cheers,
Scott/Tigon

NotRussellCrowe
November 17th, 2016, 23:58
Question:
If I am using FG for a local in person game, can I set it up to run on local area network only? I really like the feature of being able to put something out in say, Dwarven, only the players who's characters speak that language could read it; players able to whisper the GM/each other for... reasons; and a few other features that would need each player-client connected to the gm-host, however, Id like to avoid giving the players full internet access to things like Facebook, etc.

What would be really cool, would be to have the map on a TV or a projector (been looking at tons of solutions for making my own table, havnet decided which direction to go yet) but then to have each player with something like a tablet or small laptop or perhaps even a custom built raspberry pi 3 touchscreen "Player terminal", but id hope to limit functionality on the terminal to just like the chat window/dice and player sheets/reference docs. Id want all the maps, movement etc to be on the main screen. Not sure if this functionality is possible, but I'm down to tackle the task of seeing if i can make it work.

Cheers,
Scott/Tigon

Hi, Scott, and welcome to Fantasy Grounds!

You certainly can all connect via local network and block internet access but there may be issues around validating licenses. I believe if everyone has a standard license you'd have no problem but if you have an ultimate and everyone has demo that may be troublesome. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable about licensing can offer up some info here.

As for running on a projector or TV you can certainly do that, even with the standard license. You are allowed one demo connection against the standard license and could use that as your player view and only show them what you want them to see on the map using the mask feature. Same with sharing images and such.

One of our members, Trenloe, wrote a great extension to facilitate using a TV as a battle map but I cannot find the extension, hopefully when Trenloe sees this he can provide the link.

As for using FG in general there is a user manual that was just updated for the 3.2 release. I don't have a link because I haven't read it (I know, RTFM, no excuses) and there are a few different tutorials and such on creating extensions as well as lots of extensions already created that you may find useful.

Hopefully you find the information you need and decide to stick with Fantasy Grounds. Don't forget that there are systems beyond 5e that are supported either officially by Smite Works or by various community members. We have such a wonderful community here that will help you out not with just rules or using the software but getting connected and figuring out router issues (though in your case it doesn't sound like that will be necessary :) ). The community is truly one of the reasons I decided to go with Fantasy Grounds.

Happy gaming!

Kelly

Edit: Found the extension!
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33834-Map-resize-to-TV-resolution-for-Face-To-Face-games

Edit 2: found the user manual (need better Google-Fu, err, I mean Bing-Fu)
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FantasyGroundsUserManual.pdf

JohnD
November 18th, 2016, 00:13
Welcome. You made the right choice.

damned
November 18th, 2016, 00:18
Hola Tigon ;)

Three main license types -

Ultimate - can be a player or a GM, if GM then can support licensed or unlicensed players BUT unlicensed players need to validate a license check against FGs servers on connecting to the campaign. Theres no way around this at the moment. Once connected you no longer need the internet.
Full - can be a player or a GM and can work on or offline. If GM then players also need a Full or Ultimate License
Free - can be a player with an Ultimate GM or can play or GM a Demo game

Finding all the info available here is often challenging. Any suggestions people put forward are certainly looked at.
The Demo campaign is definitely worth looking at - its not much of a campaign but its a good intro to using the software.
The User Guide is very long but useful.

There is a decent learning curve (which lasts about 13 years).

Dulux is very detail oriented :)

LordEntrails
November 18th, 2016, 00:31
Welcome Scott. Glad to have you. If (and when) you still have questions, just ask. Everyone is pretty great here and do a great job helping each other out.

dulux-oz
November 18th, 2016, 00:52
Dulux is very detail oriented :)

He also knows from bitter experience NOT to assume basic knowledge and explicitly state the "obvious" - otherwise, people miss the "obvious" :p

Hi Tigon, and Welcome! to the Community,

As others have said, you've made the right choice! Yes, everything you want to do can/has been done by at least one member of the Community - just do a search and/or ask some of the long-time "experts" here on the Forums - basically, anyone who is an Immortal is someone to listen too, but you'll probably end up listening to Trenloe, damned and Zacc more than anyone else; because they tend to answer more questions than anyone else :p

The boys at Smite Works are very active here on the Forums so your suggestions will get their attention - they love getting suggestions and often act on the best ones.

Personally, I know the Tutorial Vids can be a bit "drawn out" for people like us (IT-geeks/people who work in the industry) but we're a small percentage of the population, and the Vids have more impact covering the basics for everybody, even if you and I can get bored having to sit through the basic stuff. :)

But if you're ready for FG-advanced, then check out the various Extensions (Plug-Ins) available - popular ones at the moment (Shameless(TM) Self-Plug) are the DOE: Sound Extension (which enables and automates sound from inside FG) and the DOE: Locations, DOE: Weather and DOE: Organisations Extensions (which provide more detailed reference records for their own respective areas), plus the dozens of others by various Community Devs - available from the Wiki and from the relevant Forums here.

And keep on asking questions - we're a friendly lot here and love answering questions :)

Cheers

MarianDz
November 18th, 2016, 08:41
Welcome Tigon :)

Zacchaeus
November 18th, 2016, 10:56
Hi, Tigon and welcome to the community.

Whatever ruleset you are interested in you'll find a list of sticky threads at the top of each forum which will also take you to a number of different resources which will aid your learning and experience.

If you want a contrasting video style then take a look at ddavison's ones (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nurEMR4JJeU) - complete opposite to our Aussie friend :)