PDA

View Full Version : Adding New Maps

corum Rask
November 17th, 2016, 21:19
Is there a way to import new maps to FG and if so what format do they need to be in?

Zacchaeus
November 17th, 2016, 21:29
Yes, you can add maps into the images and maps folder. Click on images and maps (the button may say something different depending on the ruleset) and then click on the 'folder' icon on the top. This will open up a window which you can then drop images into.

Once you have images in there you can then export them if you want to use those in another campaign using the export function (type /export into chat to bring up the export dialog and fill in the form - make sure you click images).

Oh, and the general advice is use .jpg files and keep the size of the image below 1Mb for optimal load times.

Trenloe
November 17th, 2016, 21:30
More info on maps/images here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Images#Image_and_Map_List

LordEntrails
November 17th, 2016, 21:31
Pretty much any graphical format, gif, png, jpg all work.
When you are in your campaign, simply open the images/map button (name depends upon what ruleset you are using) and then open the folder from the top of the list. That will open up a windows explorer, cut and past or drag your map into that, then close that folder. Click in your map list and the window will update.

Trenloe
November 17th, 2016, 21:35
We recommend that you use JPG image format and optimise your maps/images as much as possible.

Use JPG format with quality levels 50-75 (or lower if the image looks OK). Experiment with the quality setting to get a small file size with acceptable quality - see the next bullet.
Try to keep file sizes below 1MB, even lower if possible - a large map can be 1MB, a small map/character image should be a lot smaller. Use JPG format and use a medium quality level (50-75).
Do not use huge map resolutions - if you're loading maps that are 5000x5000 pixels then you should consider reducing their resolution, or breaking them down into smaller images. A good guideline is 50 pixels per 5 foot square (some people use up to 100 pixels).

Myrdin Potter
November 17th, 2016, 22:42
I find that if I just need a map for one encounter, dropping one into the folder is fine. I have been slowly collecting and making maps for different terrain types for outdoor, random encounters. Those I find better to put into a "map" campaign and make a module for them. Then I can open and close the module when needed and my players get a wider variety of maps and not the same standard ones that come with FG.