PDA

View Full Version : Definitive Update on Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition

Vanethian
November 17th, 2016, 20:42
Hello, since we are near the release of Call of Cthulhu 7th edition for Fantasy Grounds, I had the idea to open a new thread about the imminent ruleset.

What about using this new thread to tell us in advance all news about this? It should be very near, since I presume, SmiteWorks will not lose the opportunity to sell Call of Cthulhu 7th to the impressive audience of customers during the Christmas period.

So, will it be a Christmas gift for all of us? (I mean a special release with a Christmas discount?) or it will be released in few weeks?

Please Damned and Ianmward if you have anything more to say, let's use this thread. And of course, give us news :)

hawkwind
November 23rd, 2016, 12:56
it will hapen when the Stars are right

Vanethian
November 23rd, 2016, 14:18
And it's a... prime time, maybe the stars were riiiight...
...I had a... premonition, it's gonna be my turn toniiiight :)

Vanethian
November 29th, 2016, 06:20
Ok, I had confirmation that the 7th will be released in December... means probably just 2 weeks more of waiting. I think all of you can get a champagne bottle and celebrate the moment! Also, begin to save money to get the release and all the compatible modules (or the new modules that will be released).

I think the best way to let Smiteworks know of our dedication is a huge order when CoC 7th will be released. So be prepared :)

Sjelsyk
November 30th, 2016, 20:15
I hope that information is correct. Really looking forward to the 7E, and I feel a lot of the 7E features will be nice to implement into the currently running MoN game. Both the core ruleset and the Investigator's Handbook would be a welcome addition to FG. :)

damned
November 30th, 2016, 23:43
The Investigators Handbook is still in development but wont be too far behind. The bulk of the complex coding is done in the Ruleset which is very close now....

Vanethian
December 1st, 2016, 01:40
Well, the ruleset with the Keeper Rulebook is enough to start playing. At the moment I've got 2 weekly sessions, D&D and Savage Worlds. Adding Call of Cthulhu 7th means we are playing the best of the best. We can't ask more. No need for more games. But who knows the future?

damned
December 1st, 2016, 01:46
You do not need the Investigators Guide to play Call of Cthulhu 7e.
There is a wealth of additional information in the Investigators Guide but all the core stuff is there in the main book for you to play.

spite
December 1st, 2016, 03:30
When this is released, will we need things like modules to run premade adventures, or is there adventure generator-like aspects to the game that allow you to make stories easily?
I've only ever played CoC once when I was like 11, and haven't touched it since. Despite having the 6e stuff on FG aswell heh

damned
December 1st, 2016, 04:02
You can create your own stories as with any RPG.
It does include 2 pre-made stories/adventures.
There are quite a few compatible adventures in the store also.

Sjelsyk
December 1st, 2016, 05:01
I know you don't need the Investigators Handbook, but it's a very nice book for the investigators :) But I'll be fine with the core ruleset to start with. Just looking forward to the release :)

damned
December 1st, 2016, 06:02
I know you don't need the Investigators Handbook, but it's a very nice book for the investigators :) But I'll be fine with the core ruleset to start with. Just looking forward to the release :)

Yeah I was responding to a couple of different posters there.
The first release will be the Core Rulebook (which does also cover Character Creation), the FG Ruleset, Drag and Drop Occupations/Weapons/Spells, all the ugly things that hide in the shadows and two adventures.
The Investigators Handbook will follow a little later and yes its optional and yes Ive heard several people rave about how much they love that volume.

Sjelsyk
December 1st, 2016, 18:03
Sounds good, it's not crucial with the Investigators Handbook (We've done fine in 6E without it in FG), but it's definitely one that will be bought asap after it gets released on FG :)

But most important is the core ruleset, and it pleases me to know that it's not that far off any more. Thanks to all of you guys involved in converting the books to a FG ruleset.

dberkompas
December 1st, 2016, 22:24
Rats, because it's the Investigators guide that has the plethora of Occupations.

damned
December 1st, 2016, 22:37
Rats, because it's the Investigators guide that has the plethora of Occupations.

Tis true... :)
It wont be too far away...

Magnimost
December 3rd, 2016, 14:49
When this is released, will we need things like modules to run premade adventures, or is there adventure generator-like aspects to the game that allow you to make stories easily?
I've only ever played CoC once when I was like 11, and haven't touched it since. Despite having the 6e stuff on FG aswell heh

I run pre-made adventures as well as ones made by me. For example, we recently finished The Curse of Nineveh (https://shop.cubicle7store.com/The-Curse-of-Nineveh-PDF) campaign which is just a PDF file. Now we started with Achtung! Cthulhu (https://www.modiphius.com/achtung-cthulhu.html), which is again PDFs only. You can buy all of them as dead tree books if you want, though.

You have to enter the NPCs and take screenshots of images and maps yourself, but it's not any harder than doing it on pen and paper - I'd say it's easier as soon as you get the hang of the admittedly obtuse UI of FG.

borusa32
December 4th, 2016, 09:54
Wouldn't it be wonderful to Have HOTOE as an official campaign module?

Vanethian
December 4th, 2016, 10:01
Horror on the Orient Express? I've never played it, but I know it's impressive.

ianmward
December 5th, 2016, 04:50
Wouldn't it be wonderful to Have HOTOE as an official campaign module?

It's in the pipeline...

ianmward
December 5th, 2016, 04:53

I just finished putting them all in! The Investigator's Handbook is well under way...

Vanethian
December 5th, 2016, 09:59
nice, seems that things are moving fast after solving the ruleset issue (the big stuff). Now the question is, ruleset will appear this week or the next one? :D

damned
December 6th, 2016, 22:02
I believe its very close Vanethian.... :)

Trenloe
December 6th, 2016, 22:35
Just say tomorrow. You know Vanethian won't settle for a vague answer... ;)

Vanethian
December 6th, 2016, 23:04
really?... :confused: really?? :) really???????? :D

I'll be ready! haha

thanks!

Vanethian
December 7th, 2016, 16:42
Ok you made me stay all day checking my phone, the Fantasy Grounds store page... nothing... no CoC... it was a joke... :(

Trenloe
December 7th, 2016, 16:53
it was a joke... :(
Just like you constantly asking for a release date. That's a joke also, right?

The "developers" do this in their spare time, they are not professional FG developers who spend all of their time on this. They cannot give you a firm date for a release, because real life (their day job, etc.) can take over and cause delays. It will be ready when it is ready (this has been said to you many times).

Sorry if you took my post as serious. It was a joke based on you *always* insisting on a release schedule.

Please be more patient. As a FG developer myself, it is *incredibly* annoying to be constantly pestered to give a specific date for a release. They won't forget about this, they want to get it out quickly too, so please give them the time to make sure it's correct, gets reviewed by SmiteWorks, etc., etc.. It won't come out any faster if you (or others) constantly ask for a date - that probably won't be met anyway, and you just waste your own time (case in point here) and get frustrated.

We all want to see the CoC 7th editions ruleset, just be patient like the rest of us! Thanks.

Vanethian
December 7th, 2016, 17:15
Part time developers? Tell me it's another joke :D I work in the games industry as well and many games have been released with my work inside but it's my profession.

Anyway I am in my studio working and I receive tons of emails of fans asking about this or that game but I respect their hype since it's part of the game. We create the hype, we need it for the machine to move forward or the entire entertainment business would stop.

I will be patient but keep the hype high :D

Trenloe
December 7th, 2016, 17:21
Part time developers? Tell me it's another joke
No, this is not a joke.

The two main developers for the CoC 7th edition ruleset do not work for SmiteWorks, they have their own full-time jobs that have nothing to do with Fantasy Grounds. They do all of their (many) Fantasy Grounds development projects in their spare time.

Have patience, relax, stop pestering the part-time, no-joke, CoC developers.

Vanethian
December 7th, 2016, 17:27
Aaaaaahhhh for CoC. Ok. Now things are more clear. Well since it's this way then you don't need to be pestered but I congratulate for your efforts. I thought SmiteWorks was working on CoC.

No need to say anything else. Anyway One word for Damian: you are the best :D

Vanethian
December 7th, 2016, 20:51
Ah, you know I've got a 1200 members community and I'm supporting Fantasy Grounds in Italy (and I don't work for SmiteWorks)... many of my members after reading this thread said: "he said they are not professionals and that they don't work for SmiteWorks, be happy!!! CoC 7th will be released for free!!"

It was a very interesting opinion so I'm posting it here...

Ok maybe not so funny, and I didn't laugh reading it. just this, I don't want to create flames...

Moon Wizard
December 7th, 2016, 22:23
Vanethian,

Just to clarify, because there seems to be some confusion. For most DLC available for FG, SmiteWorks uses community developers who work on developing and supporting the DLC products. We have many DLC products which are being developed at any one time, and those developers have a variety of schedules and availability. That's why you rarely see a date announced by SmiteWorks for delivery of a specific DLC, because oftentimes, it's being worked on by a community developer as a part time project. CoC 7E is one of those projects, and will be sold through the FG store and Steam.

There are no plans to announce a firm release date, though we will be making an announcement when the DLC is ready.

Regards,
JPG

damned
December 7th, 2016, 22:47
I think some of the subtleties of language get lost in translation.
The product is very close now... but it will only be live when its live.

Be afraid... be very afraid!

Skellan
December 8th, 2016, 17:32
Is it out yet? When's the release date? Are we nearly there yet?

Ok, only joking (before you murder me with tentacles)

This is a massive book and the devs must have ploughed hours and hours of work into it. I'd rather it just released when it is ready rather than burn you all out.

Roakana
December 8th, 2016, 17:42
i am surprised that the publishers wouldnt hire someone to do these ports. However i dont know the licensing deals and all the complexities that might ensue.

Talyn
December 8th, 2016, 19:43
Publishers only know dead trees and, at best, PDFs. SmiteWorks itself is a small company and they focus mostly on supporting the existing engine while at the same time working hard on getting the Unity engine ready. They do put out some content--a lot of the Pathfinder adventures were made by one of the SmiteWorks guys, for example. Most of the rest of the content available, however, is made by freelancers under contract such as Damned and Trenloe who commented above, and myself, among others and we do it in our spare time on our days off.

Trenloe
December 8th, 2016, 20:18
i am surprised that the publishers wouldnt hire someone to do these ports. However i dont know the licensing deals and all the complexities that might ensue.
None of us can make a living developing rulesets - it's all done in our spare time as a labour of love for the games we want to play. If a publisher hired someone to do a ruleset and paid a decent hourly rate to make it worth someone's while to do that as a "job", then the cost to the publisher would be very high. Rulesets take hundreds of hours of work. No publisher is going to pay anywhere near minimum hourly rates to produce a ruleset for one of their systems. Hence why it's usually a small percentage royalty of sales go to the developers. Which, for all but the rare very popular systems (i.e. 5E WotC products), doesn't equate to a full time job income.

The model is pretty standard in the RPG industry (low rates/royalties paid to writers/developers). Remember that we're in the RPG industry here, not the big-bucks software development industry.

Roakana
December 8th, 2016, 21:39
Hence why i deferred on understanding. i guess it is better to to spend money on higher profile marketing than do alot of work converting a ruleset that your fans might do as a passion project :P.

I am in software development... it still has some of those similarities. That is why we like to provide tools so there is user created content :P.

Skellan
December 22nd, 2016, 18:57
Its now in the store :)

YAKO SOMEDAKY
December 23rd, 2016, 09:46
I have the call of cthulhu, I even translated it, but it is 6E, will I be entitled to an upgrade or will I have to acquire the new ruleset to access 7E?

Skellan
December 23rd, 2016, 10:19
A lot of work went into creating the 7E ruleset. It has lots of extra stuff over 6E.

damned
December 23rd, 2016, 10:53
I have the call of cthulhu, I even translated it, but it is 6E, will I be entitled to an upgrade or will I have to acquire the new ruleset to access 7E?

Hey yako2020 it is a new product so it is a separate purchase. You dont need to switch to 7e you can happily play on 6e.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
December 23rd, 2016, 11:40
Damned unfortunately I am unemployed and much of what the Fantasy Grounds has to offer me can not be acquired at the moment, but I already know that when I can and I hope it is soon, I will do the translation of this ruleset into Brazilian Portuguese.
I know I can lead my adventures with the 6th Edition, but here in Brazil players only value the new ... I like to invest in old systems, I think more for nostalgia, but also to get out of the whirlwind DnD 5, where I look has adventure for him and players, not that this is not good, is great ... but it breaks the diversity and possibilities.

dberkompas
December 23rd, 2016, 14:56
You'll need to buy a new license for the 7E ruleset. It's not just an update, but a complete overhaul to make it work like other ruleset, like drag/drop for creating characters and a lot of other niceties.

Dave