PDA

View Full Version : Giving out "playing cards" and players being able to play them

Myrdin Potter
November 17th, 2016, 17:59
This Kickstarter : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1861515217/storypath-cards-narrative-accessory-for-any-tablet

is slowly being delivered. Essentially, these are plot triggers that allow the players to work with the DM to actively shift the role playing part of the game. They are in the form of cards.

I can create a story entry for every card with a linked image and share with specific players, possibly create a table and randomly distribute them, but I wonder if there is a more elegant way built into the program to do this? Otherwise I will be looking at tables, story entries and items to see if I see a way to do it well.

Trenloe
November 17th, 2016, 18:05
There isn't any card functionality built into Fantasy Grounds.

The Savage Worlds ruleset has some for the various card based mechanics and the adventure cards, but this is very specific to that ruleset.

The best you can do is make story/image entries and use the basic card tables extension to simulate random card dealing: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23099-Basic-Card-Tables-Extensions This just uses tables to randomly select cards (removing ones already dealt so you don't get them again). There isn't any functionality to hold cards dealt in a hand or similar - you'd have to use player notes (for each player's hand) or story entries for that, drag/drop the dealt card link to a notes/story entry to keep track of which cards are in a hand or face up on the table.

Myrdin Potter
November 17th, 2016, 18:09
Ok, story entries and linked images it will be. In this case there is not really so much of a function of random dealing the cards or any card game rules, each card is just a text plot prompt and entirely in the control of the DM.

I guess I will need to go over to the feature request site and ask for basic card functionality. Maybe, eventually, the rest of us can play Texas Holdem inside FG while we wait for the last player to connect. :-)

Trenloe
November 17th, 2016, 18:15
In this case there is not really so much of a function of random dealing the cards or any card game rules, each card is just a text plot prompt and entirely in the control of the DM.
But you are randomly selecting one (or more) cards at once? And you don't want cards recently selected (even if just selecting 2-3 at once) to be in the deck when you select the next card? i.e. you are removing cards from the base deck and they won't appear again until they are shuffled back into the base deck.

If that is the case, then the basic card deck extension will work fine for you.

Myrdin Potter
November 17th, 2016, 18:20
I will look at it, but the special nature of this deck is that you do not choose randomly from the entire deck but from sections of the deck.

There is a theme section (section 1) and then escalating plot points with two climax sections and a total of 7 sections with higher numbers being more significant plot points.

So I will look at the card function but there may actually be 7 decks for each of 5 main decks.

Thanks, another feature for me to dig into.

Trenloe
November 17th, 2016, 18:21
So I will look at the card function but there may actually be 7 decks for each of 5 main decks.
That's fine, you can have as many decks as you want.

Myrdin Potter
November 17th, 2016, 19:47
I looked at who wrote the extension and, remembering how many times I have bugged that person, I am a little scared to open it up now.

LordEntrails
November 17th, 2016, 21:46
I looked at who wrote the extension and, remembering how many times I have bugged that person, I am a little scared to open it up now.
He's scary isn't he? If you're like me,you wonder what he dressed up like for Halloween!