PDA

View Full Version : GM Connection not resolving

theorigin
November 16th, 2016, 20:05
I'm having an issue hosting Fantasy Grounds from a new ISP/Location, when I try to test the connection it's failing after a minute or two of trying.
I've hosted it before I moved, (about a month ago) with nearly the same equipment.

I have EPB for internet, an ASUS router, connecting with a windows 10 laptop. Here is a list of things I've tried so far with no success

-Set up static IP for laptop (192.168.1.2) and set up a port forwarding rule for 1802 (TCP/UDP/Both) within my router
-Added exclusions for the Fantasy Ground folder/ incoming port 1802 across firewalls Windows defender, windows firewall, malwarebytes)
-Turned off all firewalls (Windows defender, windows firewall, malwarebytes)
-Bypassed router, connected directly to my ISP
-Bypassed ISP by connecting with a hotspot with my mobile phone
-Installed VPN (Hotspot Shield) [Confirmed connecting with a new IP]
-Installed Fantasy Grounds (Demo) on a new computer via steam
-Installed Fantasy Grounds (Demo) on a (different) new computer via web browser

I've verified that each of the networks I connected to were considered private, Im at a loss here, it seems like a firewall issue but I don't see any other firewall that could be causing this. I feel the answer is more simple, something I'm missing, any ideas?

Trenloe
November 16th, 2016, 20:30
How did you connect directly to your ISP? What IP address were you assigned when you connected directly to the ISP?

theorigin
November 16th, 2016, 20:32
How did you connect directly to your ISP? What IP address were you assigned when you connected directly to the ISP?

EPB is a fiber optics company so I can connected directly to their ethernet connection with my laptop.

theorigin
November 16th, 2016, 20:40
Or did you mean my internal IP scheme, it was 100.68.xx.xx something along those lines.

Trenloe
November 16th, 2016, 20:53

EPB is a fiber optics company so I can connected directly to their ethernet connection with my laptop.
OK, so it looks like they have given you an Internet IP address and they're not IP pooling. Which is good.

1) Try running another instance of FG on your computer and Join Game with a server address of locahost
2) If #1 works, do you have another computer you can use to test? If so, try connecting over your local network, use the GM local IP (192.168.1.2??) to connect.

If #2 works, then there isn't anything internal blocking your communication (i.e. the GM computer is allowing connections through on post 1802) and I'd recommend calling your ISP to see if they block port 1802 coming in to you - tell them you're using peer-to-peer gaming, not a gaming server (most ISPs don't like their clients running "servers").

If #2 fails, then it is some block on your local computer, not the ISP.

theorigin
November 16th, 2016, 20:59
OK, so it looks like they have given you an Internet IP address and they're not IP pooling. Which is good.

1) Try running another instance of FG on your computer and Join Game with a server address of locahost
2) If #1 works, do you have another computer you can use to test? If so, try connecting over your local network, use the GM local IP (192.168.1.2??) to connect.

If #2 works, then there isn't anything internal blocking your communication (i.e. the GM computer is allowing connections through on post 1802) and I'd recommend calling your ISP to see if they block port 1802 coming in to you - tell them you're using peer-to-peer gaming, not a gaming server (most ISPs don't like their clients running "servers").

If #2 fails, then it is some block on your local computer, not the ISP.

Yea I could join via local host, but I just figured it out, due to that IP, I thought it was odd my internal IP was a 100.xxx.xxx.xxx shceme while connected, so I called EPB (for the second time) and spoke to them telling the agent I got this time I was having issues hosting a server, he said it was likely due to how my IP was configured. He checked and sure enough their gateway was using a NAT configuration which he then switched over to a normal IP configuration, when I reconnected I see that I can get in fine now.

Thank you for all the help though!

damned
November 16th, 2016, 21:39
Yea I could join via local host, but I just figured it out, due to that IP, I thought it was odd my internal IP was a 100.xxx.xxx.xxx shceme while connected, so I called EPB (for the second time) and spoke to them telling the agent I got this time I was having issues hosting a server, he said it was likely due to how my IP was configured. He checked and sure enough their gateway was using a NAT configuration which he then switched over to a normal IP configuration, when I reconnected I see that I can get in fine now.

Thank you for all the help though!

You are lucky. More and more ISPs are moving to shared NAT configurations and most wont move you back to a direct/individual IP.