PDA

View Full Version : The Bandit's Cave (Legendary Games)

Varsuuk
November 16th, 2016, 05:36
i've had this for some time on FG. Recently, I also bought the PDF of the 5 games (BEFORE. the 50% off sale, so if thinking about it, check out their sale on their page and tell em the sap sent ya ;) )

planning to run it this Saturday and I cannot for the life of me grok/get my head around the Spider Cave encounter. Reading the description and seeing the map, i cannot figure out what is being described as i see 3 paths (one being the whole) and other aspects don't seem to mesh...for me?

can anyone here or in mail if it's spoiler worries rephrase that encounter layout and/or describe what comes in where on the supplied map, i'm lost (figuratively and literally)

Thanks in advance!
Dan

Tibius
November 16th, 2016, 06:36
Hey Varsuuk, I have this adventure also and have added a few of my own maps.. the giant spider encounter is ambiguous to me also . The narrative talks of a "narrow path" that is the only way to get to the cave yet it also says quote "They use the spider's escape tunnel at the other end of its lair and quickly head down the trail toward their cave." The map shows a path in.. then a webbed tunnel where the spider resides, and a narrow path that continues on .. so which is it ?

You can also look inside the "DM" description narrative that you show to the party .. one part there says "A web-shrouded tunnel seems to be the only exit from the clearing,.... ".

So I believe it is the webbed tunnel they have to use. The map is just poorly done, but you can have the party continue on down the NE path then get lost and have to backtrack to the webbed tunnel eventually .

.. think of it .. now they have to break out the torches for lighting.. there may be some small swarms of spiders along the way .. and I made a flame trap for anyone getting too close to the spider webbed tunnel set the webbing on fire .. or if fighting erupts and they drop a torch ... * flame on johnny torch !*

Zacchaeus
November 16th, 2016, 11:00
The PCs enter from the bottom of the map and exit the top right. The spider lives in the cave at the top left. The PCs can either fight the spider or distract it. The paragraphs above and below the map link pretty much explains exactly what's needed.

Varsuuk
November 16th, 2016, 17:06
Gotcha, I was just about to post that Jason over at LG responded very quickly to an email question and explained what I thought to be the MOUTH of the spider tunnel (the dark hole looking thing on upper left) is his "nest" of sorts.

1. The PCs come from the bottom of the map
2. The spider is said to be "hiding just inside the mouth of the webbed tunnel." You could put it right where I marked the square, but it also could be hiding the cul-de-sac to the left. Really, the only important point is that it's close enough to move up and attack any surprised characters and hide so they don't see it when they approach the tunnel.

Inline image 2

3. The dark circle to the upper left is supposed to be the spider's resting place, where its treasure can be found.
4. The narrow tunnel and pathway to the right is the way to the Bandit Cave.

The "tunnel mouth" is then the passage just above the orange/red marked area.

I had originally thought t e tunnel mouth to be t e hole looking thing.

Much thanks to all who replied. :)