PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5E - Curse of Strahd - Saturday Evenings EST

Dkyrn
November 16th, 2016, 02:37
FG License: Ultimate (Anyone, including individuals with the demo-version only are welcome)
Game System: D&D 5E

Time Zone: EST (North American Eastern) (GMT -5)
Day of week and time: Saturday Evenings (7pm-8pm start. TBD)
If new game, planned start date: TBD - Most likely Saturday November 26, 2016
Planned Frequency: Weekly
Term: Until the Campaign is complete

Text or Voice: Voice required.
Voice software used: Most likely Discord. Ventrillo possibly.

Roleplay & Combat mix: 50/50 at least, ideally. This will always be somewhat determined by the players. Curse of Strahd offers some good RP opportunities and is best suited to players who are looking to do more then just hack 'n' slash. Players should be willing to develop a good character concept and portray it accordingly.
Number of Players in game & needed: 5-6
Character starting level & equipment: Characters will start at 1st level with the standard array of equipment as determined by class/background.
Character restrictions: No homebrew. Races/Classes/Background must come from the rulebooks.

A little bit about myself, I have been playing on Fantasy Grounds for about a year and a half now and have both played in games and DMed them.

Players interested in joining this game can feel free to post below or send me a private message. If you could just give me a little bit about your own background with Fantasy Grounds/RPGs and a brief overview of the type of character you want to play and brief blurb around the concept. New players, to either RPGs or Fantasy Grounds are welcome. We will get together on the sever to generate characters before the actual start date of the campaign.

Thanks

Link to Gamecalendar page: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=2259

oomohno
November 17th, 2016, 18:41
I would like to join this game if you still have room. I have a couple of campaigns worth of experience with Fantasy Grounds itself, so I can function in the software. My experience with RPGs dates back to 2e. I have played modules in 2e, 3e, Pathfinder, 4e, and 5e. So, I have a long history of playing D&D, but it's been off and on. I'm relatively new to 5e, but no matter the system what I'm going to bring to the table is collaboration. I love tying my characters into the world and the arcs of other players. I find group roleplay to be the most fun aspect of these games.

I have discord and can use that.

Anyway, on to my character. I have been wanting to make a crossbow-wielding, former peasant. And I mean full sized crossbows (I have an obsession with using crossbows in games). Over time he has acquired enough experience in the field to ascend to the abilities of a fighter or a ranger (I would prefer the ranger but I can adapt). He gets his skills from having been a huntsman for a lord, and is a bit of a local legend for both teaching peasants how to defend themselves, and defending them from the wilds. No reliable accounts exist for what exactly happened to alienate him from his lord, but we know that my character, Tom, decided to leave his life and become a beggar. A relatively well armed beggar, but a beggar nonetheless. So, a peasant huntsman who is a skilled hunter, tracker, and crossbowman who, for unknown reasons, has turned to begging and transience.

justenrules
November 17th, 2016, 21:30
I would like to join this campaign. I've played a bit on fantasy grounds, so I think I have a good handle on it. So far I've played through two 5e campaigns, one in person one on fantasy grounds.

My idea for a character is a bard, possibly a kobold if it is allowed, with the haunted one background. He was removed from his tribe due to being born under a dark star, an ill omen amongst his tribe. Either due to insanity or some kind of powerful magic, he and he alone can constantly see the star in the night sky, and whenever he looks upon it he can hear a haunting tune. By replicating this tune, he is able to perform feats of barricade magic.

Dkyrn
November 18th, 2016, 05:27
Hey All,

Just a couple of quick notes about little things that have come up...

Just a quick head's up, if you signed up on the GameCalendar entry but have not posted either here or sent me an private message about your concept and experience I am not currently considering you for the game. If you do want a spot, please make sure you reach out . Currently there are three spots reserved. The party so far is made up of the following:
-Half-Elf Ranger
-Halfling Warlock
-Pending (The spot has been spoken for but the final race/class combo is still to be determined).

For those who are looking to come up with a background or broaden their concept, the game will begin in the Forgotten Realms, along the Sword Coast near the town of Daggerford. After a series of raids on caravans, the local government has put out a reward to bring the bandits to justice. Whether you are locals who have banded together to help out your fellow residents, or happen to be passing through is entirely up to you. I would caution you about going into too much detail only because outside of this introduction, none of the rest of the campaign will take place along the Sword Coast or on Faerun at all. I would however encourage you to feel free to toss out ideas and look for ways to pre-establish ties between your characters though failing that you are certainly free to assume that you all just assembled for sheer mercenary reasons and are still basically strangers to one another.

I will insure the server is up this Saturday, November 19th around 7:30pm EST for those who want to make up their characters. I also make sure there are a couple of other times over the next week when it is available. Ideally we can have all the slots filled and the characters ready to go for Saturday, November 26th and we can jump right into things. If I have spoken to you and confirmed that you have a spot, please feel free to sign up on the Game Calendar entry. I'll make sure the server details are posted there.

Xydonus
November 18th, 2016, 14:58
I'm keen on joining. It will be a midnight game for me but that is fine.

I've been a player and a GM on FG for what will soon be 3 years now. Majority of my experience is gming warhammer, and I currently have an active ongoing WFRP campaign, a star wars campaign and now just recently, a DnD 5e homebrew pokemon game. My knowledge on DnD is very sketchy at best as I'm still learning the system.

Character Concept - A human rogue/thief who was once a member of the bandits that were doing the raids on the caravans. Soon as he saw just how bloodthirsty those bandits were getting, and the fact that there were now bounties being posted up, my character tried to leave. Unfortunately he got caught trying to depart the group, and was left for dead. He's now recovered and has an inkling for revenge... And loot. Lots of loot. He's a rather selfish character who craves for shiny things, but he tries to avoid unnecessary killing if he can avoid. If not, he has no qualms about it.

Xydonus
November 19th, 2016, 00:41
Sadly I'm going to have to drop out - While initially I figured a midnight game would be ok, realization that the Curse of Strahd campaign might go on longer than it would be feasible for me to do a midnight slot.

djacob91
November 19th, 2016, 03:26
I would like to join. I have been playing DnD for a year now, most of it being on FG. I have a good grasp of the software and 5e. I am willing to play anything, but I had a thought for a fighter/tank character.

Jason grew up among the lower class of Waterdeep. Earning just enough to get by, his family was a target by those who found themselves poorer, but were looked down upon by those above them that didn't just ignore them. As such, Jason found himself as often as not, being the target of the criminal class while the watch seemed to care little. Seeing his life meaning little in Waterdeep, Jason left as soon as he was old enough to do so. He found little work that was any better than he had back in the city. Recently he found work with a caravan headed for Daggerford. They were attacked by bandits on the way, and his instincts earned back in the city paid off as he helped fend off the attack. Once they arrived at the town of Daggerford, he found that they would pay much more for such help there. Carrying an old suit of chainmail and sword, he signed up as a hired guard, still hoping to find something more meaningful than his old life.

khavi
November 19th, 2016, 11:10
If you still have room, I would love to play! ;) I'm new but getting the hang of FG.

I was thinking of maybe a Tiefling or Drow Bard? A "native" to Waterdeep (not that a traveling bard is really "native" to anywhere), she and her troupe were part of one of the caravans to be attacked and now she's out for some packback. (I've got more brewing, but that's all I'd want the party to know.)

Dhamon
November 19th, 2016, 16:55
If you are still need more i like to join i am new to D&d never played and i am willing to learn. i like to play a Paladin but i will go with what is need it. Just looking to have a fun time with new people.

oomohno
November 19th, 2016, 17:18
Just wanted to provide a few details to establish my character in the world.

Why are you in Daggerford?:

"Well, I tapped out the last town. A caravan master let me tag along with the promise that I don't beg from anyone in their group. It was almost a nice trip, and then the bandits came. The screaming and violence sent me in my shell, and I was just about helpless when a couple of them came for my meager wealth. My life was saved by one of the guards, a skilled warrior who called himself Jason. Since then I've just been doing what I do best."

Just putting forward a bond, djacob91. I can change this if it's not in line with your character. Either way, as they were part of the same caravan, Jason would probably have heard mention that Tom is a skilled hunter and tracker.

Your character sees:

A fairly short man dressed in dirty, worn leather. There are obvious, inelegant patches pocking his armor where the leather must have been damaged. The armor itself even seems to consist of different leathers components combined into a full armor set, as some pieces look much more worn and weathered than others. His hair is a dark, dingy grey with slivers of black slicing in and out of the strands. Unsurprisingly, he sports a grey and black beard reaching down to his chest, affixed to a gaunt face creased and wrinkled as old parchment. You can see that he is burdened with the trappings of a traveller. A large pack clings to his back, a bandolier stretches across his chest, a rather long sword sits in its sheath on his side, and he carries a mighty crossbow.

What he tells you if you ask him where he is from, what he does, and why he's on the road:

"I come from a a tribe called Tree Hunters. You see, for many years my tribe travelled the plains and hunted the forests which surround the Long Finger. Those forests were teeming with life; lots of tasty meat. It wasn't until I was almost an adult that things changed.

There was a minor lord whose meager holdings included a village we frequented for trade. Now, I didn't know why this was, but one day that lord decided we weren't allowed to leave on our own. See, he decided some of us were to go hunt for him in Southmoor, and said that we were just peasants and didn't know what was best for us. So, we, and a mess of other "peasants", founded a village near Southmoor. Now, what we found was that by hunting the lord meant killing mostly inedible creatures. I suppose he was truly afraid of them, because he had the huntsman out for weeks sometimes. Nothing new for me, but them who came from towns hated it.

I never minded being the lord's huntsman. While I was supposed to be doing this debt to life thing, they only ever wanted me to hunt and kill. Many of my tribe escaped, easily, but a few of us stayed behind for the sake of the other villagers. Like it or not, there were people in that village who had no means of protection. They relied solely on their lord's fighters (of which there were few), or the militia. And the militia did not mean much if people kept leaving it. So, I stayed for a while.

Life was difficult, but stable. Suppose it's only natural that a dangerous place like Southmoor was not keen to let us brush so close. Before long, it seemed to me that the monsters were swapping stories about where to hunt a juicy human. People were disappearing more often. Things came to a head when a group of large stags descended upon the village from the skies. They came to devour the village, I reckon, but they were attacking each other as viciously as the villagers. When the villagers were mostly dead or had fled, the stags continued their vicious battle with each other. It looked as if the whole time they were trying to deprive each other of the kills.

After the attack all of us, living and wounded, packed up and headed for Secomber. From there I headed west, after hearing legends of huge tribes in that direction. I stick closer to other people now. Never will I forget the horror that befell my village. Even today, I hear their screams in my nightmares."

Dkyrn
November 19th, 2016, 20:19
Hey All,

The server will be up and available starting around 7:30pm EST tonight. The server alias is now posted on the Game Calendar. Please feel free to drop by and make up your character. Anyone who is going to play, please make sure that your character is completed and approved before we start next Saturday. If you can't make it tonight, not to worry. I will be able to put the game up several more times over the upcoming week.

Please make sure that you have downloaded Discord and created a UserID. I will send out invites when you log into the game.

Looking forward to getting started and hope to see you all tonight and over the course of the next week.

Justicesar
November 19th, 2016, 21:36
I would like to give your group a go if there is still a spot available.

I've been playing D&D in since 1987, I'm mid 40's now. Editions we played were 2nd and 3rd edition. Most of my playing years were in grade school/high school time. I continued to play just a few times a year when close friends were in town for various holidays.

Hence about that time I got into Dungeons and Dragon Online. This filled a gaming void and I still have an active account today but play far less than I used to.

All this time I still played D&D with my friends once or twice a year. I never really got into 4th edition....I got the books, but it just seem to bleh. I borrowed my friends 5th edition and was really happy to see the direction the game was going thus we flipped our characters to 5th and played our 1st game this past Christmas. The game just flowed more like Old School....it was a breath of fresh air. But then they went home and most groups at various stores already had stuff going on which is why I looked into FG.

I was so impressed I got Ultimate package, PHB, Monster Manual and Sword Coast. I have watched countless tutorials as one day I hope to connect with my old friends on a more regular basis. But for now I would just like to play and learn the ropes.

I'm considering a rogue of some type unless that roll has been filled. I'll work on a background if accepted as I just spotted this group and have not had much time to give it some thought.

Anyway thanks for the consideration.

irish_carbomb
November 21st, 2016, 15:17
Is there still room available in this group. I would be very interested in joining. If so, I will post my bio and character.

Thanks

Jimbo
November 21st, 2016, 23:08
I'd like to Join your party if you still have room for an Elven Monk. I have some experience but I'm still learning. I am an enthusiastic player however and a fine addition to any party.

Dkyrn
November 22nd, 2016, 01:42
Hey All,

Just a quick reminder to those who did not make it Saturday night to get your characters created, please make sure that you reach out to me in the next day or two so we can arrange a time for you to do so. I'd like all the characters generated and ready to go so we can jump into the adventure come the 26th.

JadedBailey
November 22nd, 2016, 16:42
It looks like your game is full but if you need a replacement in the future, please let me know. I am always looking for a steady gaming group that allows for character growth with ample roleplay opportunities. If you would like me to create a standby character, I provide that for you any time.

MoCo Man
November 27th, 2016, 00:14
If you have an opening tonight I would be very happy to get "Marko" on target

MoCo Man
November 27th, 2016, 00:39
Hello,

I am interested in joining in your campaign.
I have a great deal of DnD experience and am somewhat (still learning new things) using FG.

I was sort of pushed into doing the GM thing earlier than I wanted and really need a good group to just enjoy the adventure.

MoCo Man (Jim from San Diego)

razorrandy
November 28th, 2016, 03:53
am I too late to join?

waldrop32
December 2nd, 2016, 20:48
Is it too late to get into this game? I am new to Fantasy Ground. I have played D&D 4 times with different groups and they are so inconsistent. I am looking to play on a regular basis. I will probably need to meet with you ahead of time to make my Char.
Chris

Dkyrn
December 6th, 2016, 00:47
Hi All,

The game is now two sessions in and we are nearing completion of the introductory chapter with the party just having reached the 3rd level. A couple of players have had to leave the group and as such there are currently two open spots available for those interested in joining. The party is currently made up of a Paladin, Cleric, Bard, Ranger and Rogue. 1 of the spots is reserved for an arcane class of some sort (Wizard, Warlock or Sorcerer) and the other is more flexible. If you are interested, please post here or Private Message me with a basic concept (race, class, and a few details on how you envision your character). We are due to play again this coming Saturday, December 10 and 7:30pm EST and I am hoping to have the new additions rolled up and approved before that time.

Thanks

irish_carbomb
December 6th, 2016, 01:25
I have a Half-Elf Drow Warlock, Charlatan named Tallonon Bloodborn already rolled and ready to go.. He can start at 1 or I can bump him to 3 if you prefer. I have never played this adventure so I would love the opportunity.

Outcast by his race, his master killed and his twin sister missing, Tallonon lies on verge of dying in a wet alleyway as a Beautiful woman appears offering to save him, and grant him power to find his family, if only he does her bidding.

waldrop32
December 6th, 2016, 02:23
I have a char. that is set at lvl 1 right now. Name is Edaxir The Undertaker, Necromancer, High Moon Elf. He is Neutral/Evil He is always deep in thought, tortured by dark, bloodthirsty thoughts. I am finishing up exams this week, but I would be available to work on my char on Thursday or Friday if you would like to make sure it is set up correct. Just let me know what time, Eastern Time Zone.

Chris

Grosnounou
December 9th, 2016, 19:25
Are you still looking for some players?

Silvma
December 11th, 2016, 02:14
I am interested in joining, already made two character I can import :). Cleric Elf / Dragonborn Sorcerer

Dkyrn
February 17th, 2017, 01:54
Hey, we have recently had someone drop from our group due to a changing schedule and we are looking for a replacement. Fair warning, at his point the party members have reached level 7 and we are definitely over half-way through the campaign. Game time is still Saturday Evenings, 7:30pm North American Eastern. The group does quite a bit of RP so anyone interested should take this into consideration. There is probably more interaction with NPCs, planning, etc then hack 'n' slash at this point. In particular we would be looking for a cleric to join, or someone else willing to at least help out a little on the healing side of things. If you are interested please send me a private message or post in this thread with your character concept. Thanks.