PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian Stone's Endurance Question

ll00ll00ll00ll
November 16th, 2016, 01:42
I have a player that is trying to figure out how to use the Barbarian's Stone's Endurance feature. I know that it is possible to just roll a d12 + Con, then manually reduce damage, but isn't the point of using the computer to have it slavishly deal with these menial tasks?

If I set a Heal Effect on an action (1d12+3:[SELF]) it works, but there is the potential to heal more than the actual damage taken. For instance, if the PC is down to 3HP with a MAX 15, and takes 2 damage from an attack, then applies the 1d12+CON heal effect, it's possible that he could roll a 10+CON, then heal himself back to full. The intention of the Stone's Endurance is to "shrug off" damage, not to heal yourself back to max.

Any thoughts on how to achieve this with a super fancy Action Effect?

damned
November 16th, 2016, 02:07
Overall response to question:
When reduced to logical equations RPGs are full of rules, exceptions to rules and exceptions to the exceptions to the rules. Programming edge cases isnt just about programming the edge case itslef - every type of damage roll then needs to look at this edge case, that edge case and some other edge case and then some of those have combinations where it does something different. The point of diminishing returns isnt just drawing near - its way behind in the rear view mirror. The code to support new edge cases gets significantly more convoluted each time.

Potential solution.
Player types /die 1d12+3 Stone Endurance in chat and drags that to a Hot Key before pressing enter. This will save it in the Hot Key. When an enemy hits her and this comes into play she clicks that Hot Key and the roll is made to chat. You, the GM, can [ctrl]+drag this rolls output to the Modifier tool and then click the damage roll. It will handle the damage output correctly and record the use of Stone Endurance in the result.

ll00ll00ll00ll
November 16th, 2016, 03:01
I'm beginning to think that damned is actually a collective. How do you have the time / energy to answer all of these questions... with panache?!

Thanks to you and everyone else for all of the forum guidance, you've all made this very enjoyable to learn.

damned
November 16th, 2016, 03:15
I'm beginning to think that damned is actually a collective. How do you have the time / energy to answer all of these questions... with panache?!

Thanks to you and everyone else for all of the forum guidance, you've all made this very enjoyable to learn.

Hahaha - my first thought was a "collective of...." but I shant go there.
I come here often for the same reason - I learn lots of stuff too.

Often where you can find an Effect to do something fully automated you will find a fairly simple way to use Modifiers to achieve a pretty good outcome.