PDA

View Full Version : New Free 5E Module - Z1- Zombie Curse by Frank Schmidt

Gwydion
November 15th, 2016, 13:49
Good morning, everyone! I'm excited to be able to post this. I've been working with Frank Schmidt, author of the Adventures in Filbar series. Frank started out creating modules for his group and then started selling them. He has many adventures in the Adventures in Filbar series available. Some of them, such as Zombie Curse, are free! The reason for the post is that Frank gave me permission to convert Zombie Curse (an AD&D adventure for level 1-2 adventurers) to 5E for fantasy grounds. I'm happy to say I am finished!

Feel free to use this adventure in any of your campaigns. Also, PLEASE let me know if you find errors or issues. I have not had a chance to playtest and I'm concerned I've screwed up some of the monster conversion stats. Change those as much as you want and let me know if you think I should change any. All monsters are from the SRD or I created their stats from what Frank created (ie. Zombie Wolf).

Frank does a lot of one on one (DM and one player) adventures, so if you all like this adventure, please let me know. I see a real potential for maybe converting some of his one on one adventures for fg, but I'd like to know if the feedback is good on this one before I take that step. Let me know!

About the adventure... So, if you want to read a third-party review about the adventure (for AD&D), you can find it here:

https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/15/15811.phtml

Few quick points on the adventure. 1 - There are a LOT of zombies. If you don't like that, you might not want to run this one! 2 - There are three maps/locations, but only one is suitable for combat and isn't the highest quality. As you all know, there are many fg maps you can find in the community to supplement the ones included in the adventure. Keep in mind, the module is free! :) 3 - I think the plot and detail is really good for a free adventure and I believe would cover a good 3 sessions of 4 hrs each (although I'm just speculating).

I'm going to start looking at some of his other free products to see if there are others I think might be cool to convert. If you all like this one, maybe I'll post some options and take a poll to see which one you want me to convert next if Frank would be so kind as to allow me to convert another.

Enjoy!

Zacchaeus
November 15th, 2016, 14:08
Well done.

Gwydion
November 15th, 2016, 18:27
Already correcting a few minor things as follows:

At top level link of (F1 - Zombie Curse) now has all links for the adventure (true table of contents)
In room 5.02 I had forgotten to drop the monster on the map - fixed
Couple typos

The file in the first post has been updated to correct these issues.

Nylanfs
November 15th, 2016, 18:31
This is why you should have a small group of playtesters to catch things like this before public release. :)

Gwydion
November 15th, 2016, 18:43
This is why you should have a small group of playtesters to catch things like this before public release. :)

You're right of course.

LordEntrails
November 15th, 2016, 19:04
I get an invalid attachment when I try to get the updated module.

@Nylafs, yes, but it's often hard to get someone with a critical eye. I've mostly been lucky finding such volunteers for my modules, but can understand when someone can't.

I was actually hoping to be able to review this for the OP but haven't (yet) had time :)

Trenloe
November 15th, 2016, 19:07
I get an invalid attachment when I try to get the updated module.
Works fine for me. Try right-click and save as to save the file locally.

LordEntrails
November 15th, 2016, 19:10
Works fine for me. Try right-click and save as to save the file locally.
ApparentlyI'vealreadystarteddrinkingthismorning. Works fine now, but I swear...

Gwydion
November 15th, 2016, 19:16
Glad it worked! Thought maybe I screwed something up there. I do understand and agree that best practice is to playtest. I made a decision (I'll let the forum members ultimately decide if it was the right one), to upload now as my plate is full right now and I knew I couldn't get a group together to playtest for a while. So, given it was a free module, I'm hoping it is in really good shape absent a few minor issues that don't affect the playability. If that doesn't end up being the case next time I will not upload until I've had an opportunity to truly playtest even if it will delay the upload as I certainly don't want to waste anyone's time.

LordEntrails
November 16th, 2016, 00:21
I sent you a PM with the detailed review. No reason I see not to upload it and share. As you say, its a free for fun module, and it's great that the author was willing to share and that you did the conversion. Thanks :)

Gwydion
November 16th, 2016, 00:25
I sent you a PM with the detailed review. No reason I see not to upload it and share. As you say, its a free for fun module, and it's great that the author was willing to share and that you did the conversion. Thanks :)

Reading your comments now. I very much appreciate you taking the time to review it and I will make the corrections and re-upload as soon as I can. Thanks again!

Gwydion
November 16th, 2016, 02:45
Updated file in first post for Lord Entrails comments.

Gwydion
November 16th, 2016, 14:45
One other thought. Zacchaeus, would you mind putting this in the 5E modules stickied thread so people can find it later it they have the interest?

Gwydion
November 17th, 2016, 00:32
Ok, so one of the things that bothers me is the lack of battle maps for Zombie Curse. So, I scoured all the free map modules I have downloaded from suKEET and Zacchaeus and found a number of maps that might fill in well. I created an excel file and uploaded to dropbox to crosswalk the encounter number from the module to the map I think could work. I also included a link to the forum thread where you can find and download the maps. There are a couple encounters I left blank, but I'm still looking for possible battle maps for those as well.

I did not include any maps for Christo's Dungeon as there is already a map in the module. However, when I have time, I might try to redo that one.

Hope you find it helpful! The next time I update the module I'll plan to reference these maps within the module as well to let people know where they can find them.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wteigaco2t4rhm9/maps%20possibilities.xlsx?dl=0

Zacchaeus
November 17th, 2016, 00:59
I'll sticky once I get onto a proper computer. You can include any of my maps in the module itself (rather than just a reference) as long as you include any acknowledgements that are in the original. If there aren't any you can just include it. Including the maps will allow you to set up encounters etc.

Gwydion
November 17th, 2016, 01:06
I'll sticky once I get onto a proper computer. You can include any of my maps in the module itself (rather than just a reference) as long as you include any acknowledgements that are in the original. If there aren't any you can just include it. Including the maps will allow you to set up encounters etc.

Ok. Will definitely do that with the next update I make to the module. Thanks, Zacchaeus! Love your maps.

rob2e
November 17th, 2016, 08:32
Excellent! ThanX Gwydion!

Zacchaeus
November 17th, 2016, 09:16
Stickied.

Gwydion
November 17th, 2016, 13:33
Stickied.

Awesome, thanks! I'll work on incorporating the maps within the module later and making sure I properly attribute. Might take a while but it should be playable now I think.

Gwydion
November 23rd, 2016, 19:57
Ok. I hope this is the last update for some time. I added maps for all encounters and placed all the encounters on the maps now. Some of the maps are generic houses, but they all work pretty well I think. I also created a player map for the final dungeon. It looks different than the DM version as the DM version is the original with #'s for the rooms. I created the player version. Its basic, but again works I think!

I also included attribution for all the maps. Thanks Zacchaeus, sukEEt and Torgaard!

I hope everyone enjoys!

Gwydion
August 28th, 2017, 13:43
I updated the first post in this thread with an updated module. Thanks to Lzystooner for finding a couple of link issues and a few other cleanup items.

doredras
February 9th, 2018, 19:33
Thanks for this! I recently ran Zombie Curse and The Crypt of Kendall Furfoot as part of an ongoing campaign, and your work was really handy.

I made some maps to support both modules, and I thought I'd pay it forward and upload them here for anyone's use.

In my game, Mont du Plat was renamed 'Rushing Falls', hence the slightly different names. I made some modification to the layouts of things, but in general I think these should work as written. Hopefully someone gets some use out of them.

Thanks again!

doredras
February 9th, 2018, 19:34
Woops, hit the attachment limit - here are a few more.

LordEntrails
February 9th, 2018, 22:57
Thanks for sharing your maps :)

Gwydion
February 9th, 2018, 23:53
Awesome! So glad it was helpful! Thanks for the maps. I will definitely check them out.

Squeak
November 16th, 2019, 13:00
Thanks for both converting the adventure and the extra maps :)

Gwydion
November 16th, 2019, 13:13
Thanks for both converting the adventure and the extra maps :)

Yes! Just glad to hear these are still getting use. Thanks for posting!