PDA

View Full Version : Identified/ not Identfied

Tibius
November 13th, 2016, 22:23
Hi, I am using rule set 5e : I have a question about identified/ not identified.. Im not sure but I think the old FG before the update did not show to the PC whether the item was identified or not identified. What I mean is the little green or red icon in the item dialog was not shown to the pc only the GM seen that .. I could be wrong as Im new to FG but I thought only the GM saw that ..and I thought whether it was identified or not identified the dialog looked exactly the same .. so as not to "Tip off" the pc that there is something amiss about the object..

Am I wrong ?

Nickademus
November 14th, 2016, 00:06
I remember always seeing it as a player.

One thing I do as a GM is to make several other types of items un-ID'd so they don't know which ones are magical. I put the gp value in the name of gems and jewelry (to be seen in an inventory list) using the ID functionality as an appraisal system. I give plot items verbose descriptions that can be unlocked with appropriate skill checks.

Trenloe
November 14th, 2016, 00:41
I'm pretty sure it was there before. Even if it isn't, you don't see things like weight or value, for weapon/armour you don't see details, until it's identified, so sharp eyed player could work it out anyway.

If you truly want to hide what an item can do then you'll need to create a dummy entry for the item, showing what you want people to see even when identified, and have another version you don't share until they fully know it's abilities.

Tibius
November 14th, 2016, 05:32
Thanks guys for the replies .. gives me a few different options then . Either turn the ID option off and make a duplicate item of an object that can be identified as something special .. or make everything unidentified and if its nothing special make the identified entry the same.. Thanks again for the help..