PDA

View Full Version : Poor performance for clients after activating data modules (library)

criticalfumble
November 13th, 2016, 21:04
Hi - my search-fu may be terrible, but I did not see anything about this. Sorry if it's been asked before. When players connect to my server, and go into Library>Data Module Activation to drag books open, the performance of FG on their machines gets pretty awful for a few minutes. Other applications perform fine for them during this time. I've confirmed this when for myself by connecting to my server computer from a different computer on my home network. When testing on the home network, neither the client or server endpoints seem to be overly taxed, CPU, memory or network-wise, and the router they are connecting through seems similarly OK.

It's just a few MB of data being cached when they access something like the 5e PHB. I can keep having them connect early so that it doesn't impact our session, but is there a better way?

Thanks!

criticalfumble
November 13th, 2016, 21:08
Inevitably, as soon as I posted, I ran across this. Will try some of the suggestions: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27505-Players-Downloading-Files-When-Joining-Campaign&highlight=data+module+activation

Trenloe
November 13th, 2016, 21:24
Welcome to the forums criticalfumble. :)

Most of the data will be a one-time transfer when a player connects. The data will be cached locally on the player computer, so as long as they don't clear their cache or use a different computer to connect then next time they join there should be less load on the instances of FG.

criticalfumble
November 13th, 2016, 21:28
Thanks for the reply. Some of them are experiencing a few errors that can be "resolved" by clearing cache, and I've just asked them to retain logs for troubleshooting. I also noted there is a post 3.2 thread that has some suggestions I will look at later tonight.

Anyway, by clearing the cache they are trading one problem for another. It'll stabilize once we can get past all the cache dumping they're doing.

Thanks again.

damned
November 14th, 2016, 01:18
Hi criticalfumble how many (and what names) modules are you sharing?
In most cases you should be sharing something liek a Players Handbook only, or that and one other.