PDA

View Full Version : having Problemms With Labyrinth Lord Rule Set

Jay_NOLA
November 13th, 2016, 19:59
I'm a new Fantasy Grounds user and I'm running into a couple of problems with the Labyrinth Lord rule set.
They are:

1.) I can't add a portrait image to a character. (I also noticed this problem with some other rule sets too.)
2.) I'm getting text cut off with some of the monsters in the reference module or if I do the entry manually.
Example: In the module I was working on it has a ghoul the it says in the Monster entry in the Main tab it gives the text "2 turn as" for Hit Dice but cuts off the rest of the text. Expanding the size of the box doesn't help.
3.) I can't activate some of the products available when I click on modules.
Example: The free Pulp Photo Tokens show but can't be activated. Also, some of the activation icons are covering up text for other modules. (This problem is also occurring in other rule sets like the OSRIC one.)

Any thing I can do to fix these problems.

Thanks.

JohnD
November 13th, 2016, 20:49
As this is a non-supported ruleset you're probably stuck with what you have unless you can program your own fixes.

Trenloe
November 13th, 2016, 21:19
Welcome to the forums Jaw_NOLA. :)

I haven't looked at the ruleset so can't comment on 2) or 3). 1) is older ruleset functionality, only players could add portraits to PCs. If you want to add them as a GM then "Join Game" with a second instance of FG on the same computer with a server address of localhost take control of the PC and add a portrait. Then remember to clear ownership of the PC after.

Jay_NOLA
November 14th, 2016, 20:09
Thanks for the replies.
that answered alot of questions

I am wondering if it would be easier to just try and reprogram the set or just use the core rules to run a game. All the rules in LL are open source and are in word format so cutting and pasting text won't be an issue.

Trenloe
November 14th, 2016, 20:20
I am wondering if it would be easier to just try and reprogram the set or just use the core rules to run a game.
CoreRPG has a lot of good functionality that the old LL ruleset doesn't have - tables, encounters, party sheet, etc.. Programming the existing LL ruleset might take you a few hours to get address the issues you've found, but it will always be a static ruleset.

This discussion might interest you: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34524-Interest-Check-for-Old-School-D-amp-D-ruleset Vodokar plans on building an old-school ruleset on top of the Castles and Crusades ruleset.

Jay_NOLA
November 16th, 2016, 23:19
Thanks,
a few questions:

1.) is the Castles and Crusaders rule set something I ought to look at getting to help in updating the LL to Core. I don't play Castles and Crusaders so I'm not sure if I ought to spend any money to look at it or if a better rule set exists that ought to look at.

2.) LL and the AEC and Original Edition Characters have Word files of all the text. So is there any easy way to port over things like spell and monster stats from them or is that going to be manual entry of each monster.

3.) Is there a PDF or downloadable offline version of the Ruleset Reference Guide or Reference Guide.

4.) Can you set up an option for Characters and Personalities to have different types of stat sheets. LL & AEC character have different character sheets and AEC characters are slightly different. Same thing with NPCs as you have monsters and NPC characters that use different stat sheets.

Trenloe
November 16th, 2016, 23:27
1) I was suggesting that an option would be to take C&C as a basis and then modify that for LL. You'll get much more FG functionality that way, but it might be more work than trying to get the current LL working. I would not recommend trying to update the current LL ruleset to Core - that would be a huge task. You're much better taking something that is close to LL and already on CoreRPG and modifying that - hence my suggestion of C&C.

2) Manual entry. There is not a parser for LL or C&C.

3) There isn't an offline version of the ruleset refernce guide, but you could easily create on yourself - do a web search for "download web pages" and see what options come up that you can use to download the development resources for use offline.

4) You can setup different NPC sheets, but this all requires writing of XML definitions and LUA code. See the 3.5E ruleset as an example - the NPC sheet can be set to Creature, Trap/Haunt or Vehicle based off the radio button at the bottom of the sheet.

Trenloe
November 16th, 2016, 23:31
Actually, C&C already has two options at the bottom of the NPC sheet: Character or Monster.

Trenloe
November 16th, 2016, 23:39
And this gives you an idea of vodokar's progress to build AD&D on top of Castles and Crusades: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34976-AD-amp-D-Ruleset&p=301520&viewfull=1#post301520 He's added in sections for the AD&D saving throws. These could be re-named for the LL saving throws.