PDA

View Full Version : Issues with ISP and/or FG

TinCanKing
November 13th, 2016, 18:38
I've been having issues connecting to the alias server and updating ever since moving and switching to a new ISP. Is there a way to rectify this? I called my ISP (WOW!) and they said that everything on their end looks fine, so are trying to pinpoint it on FG. My internet works fine with literally everything except for FG, and FG has worked fine on every network I've connected to other than my own. Not quite sure how to proceed, but it would be great if I could get this resolved.

Myrdin Potter
November 13th, 2016, 19:25
You are the second person to use Wow! that has had issues in the past month. When they told you that everything was ok, did they understand that you have a server that clients are trying to connect to? Did you ask them if they are pooling IP numbers so you are not really assigned your own IP number?

I assume you are trying to DM and cannot get a connection working?

Is Wow! Cable modem or some other form of connection? If you have a combination of a cable or dsl modem and a router, you may have an issue with the port being forwarded from the modem to the router.

Can your players connect to you if they use your IP and you do not use the alias server?

At worst, you should be able to use one of the VPN solutions.

Trenloe
November 13th, 2016, 19:34
I've been having issues connecting to the alias server and updating ...
A few people have had issues with the v3.2.0 update where their local security/AV application(s) have blocked the FG updater (and/or main application) from accessing the network. Check your security and AV applications to see if they've blocked UpdaterEngine.exe and/or FantasyGrounds.exe - even if you've checked this before, check again when connected to your new network.

Additionally, what is your new network showing as in Windows Network and Sharing Center? Is it Public or Private?