PDA

View Full Version : Fog of War LOS functionality

adonndel
November 11th, 2016, 17:58
About 5 months ago a user named Smelton showed a demo of an extension that he was developing to auto expose LOS squares as PC tokens moved. It was pretty crude but it was a huge win for LOS.
Moon seemed very interested in how it worked and I was hopeful that he was hoping to put that into FG.
I also saw the demo in FGU that showed the the LOS auto expose functionality which really got me excited!

It appears that Smelton has been inactive for 4 months and I am pretty sure we are a long way out from FGU.

This feature is present in almost all the major competitors of FG and I have seen requests for this functionality for years.

So my question is, if Smelton never comes back to finish his extension, are there any plans to incorporate some sort of LOS functionality in FG? I have considered running Maptools, Mote or Roll20 side by side with FG but this is a HUGE amount of extra work that I really don't want to do.

Trenloe
November 11th, 2016, 18:03
There is little gain in developing this type of functionality before the Unity release of Fantasy Grounds - it would be double coding on the different platforms. So, unless Smelton comes back with something I doubt if you'll see this implemented in the current version of Fantasy Grounds. I know it's been mentioned a few times by the developers as being seriously considered for inclusion in the Unity build - but maybe not at initial Unity release, as the goal of that release is to provide full backwards compatibility with existing rulesets, modules, etc..