PDA

View Full Version : 5E NPC Caster Spells Broken

LordEntrails
November 11th, 2016, 16:56
Custom NPC's with spells don't work correctly.
5E, v3.2

I'm guessing it something wrong with this NPC, but I can't figure out what I've done wrong. I've deleted his spells and had them re-added automatically etc.
Here's screen shots of his sheet with the spellcasting trait and of the CT and chat log with both him and a regular acolyte doing the same thing.

What should I change? or check?

Trenloe
November 11th, 2016, 17:13
There's no DC for the save.

Trenloe
November 11th, 2016, 17:17
Are you following the process here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34017-Save-not-working&p=289071&viewfull=1#post289071

i.e. editing the NPC in the campaign data list and not editing the NPc once it's in the combat tracker?

Zacchaeus
November 11th, 2016, 18:08
Yes, this is working for me so I can only think that it's as Trenloe says and the editing isn't being done in the Campaign or something similar to that.

Assuming of course that this is in a new campaign and no extensions are loaded?

LordEntrails
November 11th, 2016, 19:50
It's not seeing the DC I agree, but the spellcasting trait has the DC in it. Is my wording incorrect?

Yes I'm editing it in the NPC list, and have re-added to the CT. Have tried exporting as a module and tried in a new campaign, no extensions and I get the same thing.

This is for a published module. The development campaign was started in 3.1 and it appears all NPC casters are having the same issue.

I've gone into the campaign list, removed all the spells and modified the spellcasting trait to remove my custom spell. Re-added to CT (and it parses the spells and adds them as actions.

I'm thinking I don't have the wording of the spell casting trait correct, but I don't see any error in it.

LordEntrails
November 11th, 2016, 19:55
So I just verified, my other custom spellcaster does not have this problem. His spell casting trait seems to be formatted the same;

Trenloe
November 11th, 2016, 19:57
Works fine for me: "The acolyte is a 3rd-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 13, +4 to hit with spell attacks). The acolyte has the following spells prepared:
Cantrips (at will): resistance, sacred flame, thaumatology"

What spell module do you have open to match the spells with? I used the 5E SRD.

Trenloe
November 11th, 2016, 19:59
And check that the spell itself has parsed correctly in the NPC - it should have already inserted the save DC in the spell description within the NPC, even before you add it to the CT.

LordEntrails
November 11th, 2016, 20:01
Ok, It was something in the spell casting trait but I have no idea what. I copied the text from the working caster, changed the ability to Wisdom and changed the spell list and it all works now.

I swear I don't see anything different, but its fixed now. Thanks :)

LordEntrails
November 11th, 2016, 20:02
Yea, I was using the 5E SRD. Maybe there was some hidden character in the xml that wasn't shown?