PDA

View Full Version : Price on Volos Guide to Monsters

Hermundure
November 10th, 2016, 14:41
Question answered :-P

vodokar
November 10th, 2016, 14:56
The official retail price as set by Wizards of the Coast is $49.99. That is what Smitworks is required to charge. They are not allowed to match Amazon or whatever online source you are quoting. Also, the release date for the physical book is listed as Nov 15 on the Dungeons and Dragons WotC website, so we actually got it early. Whatever online source your quoting likely doesn't even have them in stock yet, even if they say they do.

Hermundure
November 10th, 2016, 15:07
Ah I see. If WotC sets the price for FG then its understandable.
Yes I was taking a look at amazon here, concerning the availability I havent checked as this is not really important to me.

Dont get me wrong, I am sure some people will buy it at this price, I was just wondering if there might be a mistake.

vodokar
November 10th, 2016, 15:18
Having said that, however, I do believe that the book is elligible for the complete your set discount, which is 20% off, I think.

Hermundure
November 10th, 2016, 15:23
Oh, ok. Thank you for this tip, I didnt knew this discount.
I pretty much have everything 5E and some generic modules bought here so I guess it should work out!

(I probably should not get it as I only played 3 games or so this year but I love fantasy art) :-)

7H3LaughingMan
November 10th, 2016, 15:23
I think the only reason why places such as Amazon can sell it for less is because they are a colossal retailer and have enough power to negotiate with WotC. It's a pretty big thing to not have your product on Amazon since that is generally the first place people look to purchase stuff online. But the downside of buying a physical book is that it's a physical book.

LordEntrails
November 10th, 2016, 16:15
Amazon also is willing to except tiny markups/profits. They have the stated goal of becoming the goto place and they are willing to do so at enormous costs to themselves, so that they can become the giant and then drive prices where they want. If that will work, who knows, but they have said as much.

Also, in the past, publishers like WotC normally do not allow their traditional channels (and FG is actually a preferred channel) to discount a product until 8 weeks after initial release. So, if that is still true, other than the complete bundle 25% discount, the FG version of Volo's won't be on sale for at least another month, at the earliest.