PDA

View Full Version : Cavern map with a gruesome twist.

ahodges
November 10th, 2016, 12:05
Just finished creating this map for my campaign and thought some of you may enjoy using it. I did it originally to simply explore some new style/technique in my cartography. I also wanted to use a new grid texture I purchased from game tiles warehouse in the context of a cave to see how versatile the texture would be. I will post 2 different resolutions as I know some folks like using the higher res maps...like me!

3200x4000 version - 1.24mb

5440x6800 version 3.45mb

Enjoy:)

Zacchaeus
November 10th, 2016, 13:49
Nice Map!

NotRussellCrowe
November 10th, 2016, 13:53
That's amazing, well done!!

Trenloe
November 10th, 2016, 16:02
Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

JohnD
November 10th, 2016, 16:06
Very nice.

LordEntrails
November 10th, 2016, 18:56
Definitely thanks for sharing. Would you be ok if I made a short little one shot adventure using this and put it up here on the community?

I find it inspiring :)

Maybe you could give me some ideas about what you were thinking as you added the various parts...

ahodges
November 10th, 2016, 21:18
Definitely thanks for sharing. Would you be ok if I made a short little one shot adventure using this and put it up here on the community?

I find it inspiring :)

Maybe you could give me some ideas about what you were thinking as you added the various parts...

Sure! Please feel free to use the map in your adventure. I can provide you with some unique tokens and some custom character art/portraits as well. Just let me know what you might need and what you have in mind for the adventure. I'll PM you with what I was thinking when I made the map and how I plan to use it in my campaign. I must admit it's a bit of a rush job due to our gaming schedule so it does not have a ton of detail and finesse. But, sometimes that can be a good thing as it forces me to use more token based stuff in real time which is pretty fun too.

leozelig
November 10th, 2016, 23:04
Awesome map - what do you use to make your maps?

ahodges
November 10th, 2016, 23:50
It kind of depends on the type of map I am trying to make. In this case, I used Dundjinni to simply lay the base tiles then I exported. From that point I used Photoshop for walls, lighting and all the rest. I use CC3 for overland maps and to get a specific style using sheets and so on. I can do incredibly fast maps using Photoshop layer filters but often I get slowed down by messing around with new techniques...hehe. You could do some really nice stuff just using Dundjinni as well. It is just a little more tedious as the tool has some serious limitations. But any map tool out there can yield some very usable and fun results if you want it bad enough.

Thegroo
November 11th, 2016, 00:55
Thanks for sharing

ahodges
November 11th, 2016, 01:23
I decided to do a version of this with no grid as well. Also, compressed them a little more for performance during the game. They lost a little detail but not much and the gain in download speed is probably worth it.

3200x4000 version - 1.2mb

5440x6800 version - 3.4mb

seycyrus
November 11th, 2016, 01:30
Very nice! Thanks a bunch for the no-grid version!

ahodges
November 11th, 2016, 01:48
Very nice! Thanks a bunch for the no-grid version!

Your welcome. I know many folks prefer to use those in FG since it creates the grid.

Also, I did an update to the original post which now has versions of the map with smaller file size (and a few touch ups too).

Sorry for not getting that stuff right the first time but I'll get it down now that I figured out the file size limitations of the forum.

Trenloe
November 11th, 2016, 02:01
Fantastic! Thanks for removing the grid and reducing the size. Now, for one final request if you don't mind? Any chance of a single square somewhere (in a corner perhaps, but not the bottom right) that can be used as a guide to draw the FG grid to your original intended scale? Here's an example: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23773-Some-Random-Maps&p=206540&viewfull=1#post206540 See the little square in the top right corner?

ahodges
November 11th, 2016, 03:55
Fantastic! Thanks for removing the grid and reducing the size. Now, for one final request if you don't mind? Any chance of a single square somewhere (in a corner perhaps, but not the bottom right) that can be used as a guide to draw the FG grid to your original intended scale? Here's an example: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23773-Some-Random-Maps&p=206540&viewfull=1#post206540 See the little square in the top right corner?

No problem. I am also doing a version that does not have the blood and gore or the spell effects and altar, that way it can be used for a wider range of purposes.

Trenloe
November 11th, 2016, 04:12
No problem. I am also doing a version that does not have the blood and gore or the spell effects and altar, that way it can be used for a wider range of purposes.
Fantastic! :)

ahodges
November 11th, 2016, 13:31
I edited the original posts with the grid and gridless maps so that the new versions are attached. I managed to get the original grid versions even a little smaller and fixed a few flaws. I also added the 5ft square to the gridless versions for ease in setting the grid in FG. I did complete the more generic version but I'll post a new thread with that one and another new map that can be used with this one.

mhorgunn
January 7th, 2017, 11:52
I'm working on a cavern map. This is great inspiration. Something to really study. I like the floor texture. Thanks so much for sharing.

Gwydion
January 7th, 2017, 15:09
Awesome map. Thanks so much for sharing.