PDA

View Full Version : Toughness & Armor: How to make the Combat Tracker work?

Jogi
November 9th, 2016, 20:40
Hello everyone! I hope Im not posting this in the wrong forum (or asking a question that has been asked already). I was having some troubles figuring out how to make the combat tracker work properly. Consider this:

I have two NPC's in the tracker (a zergling and a marine); the marine has Toughness 12 and Armor 6 (negates 6 AP), and the Zerg attacks him. It hits (with no raises) and the damage rolled is 13. At this point, the combat tracker ignores the armor (even though the zergling has no AP) and gives the marine the Shaken status. If I add 1 AP to the zergling's attack, it will then count the marine's Toughness as 11 (again, disregarding the armor value).

Does anyone know any way around this? Is it a simple matter of selecting the right options?

Thank you for any answers!

Ikael
November 9th, 2016, 22:09
Toughness should represent total value, which includes armor. Armor value is there to tell how much of the final toughness comes from armor. This is important because armor can pierced through with AP but AP cannot go beyond armor.

In your sample case the character has base toughness of 6 and armor 6 so the final toughness is 12 and it can be reduced to 6 (when armor is pierced through completely) with AP

Jogi
November 10th, 2016, 03:03
Toughness should represent total value, which includes armor. Armor value is there to tell how much of the final toughness comes from armor. This is important because armor can pierced through with AP but AP cannot go beyond armor.

In your sample case the character has base toughness of 6 and armor 6 so the final toughness is 12 and it can be reduced to 6 (when armor is pierced through completely) with AP

Thank you so much for your reply! And sorry for my newbness, it should've been obvious from the start. Although, I do have one further question: when designing an NPC, how I get his Toughness (or Armor) to negate AP from an enemy attack which has AP?

Ikael
November 10th, 2016, 05:41
You cannot define this directly to armor because these situations are case-by-case specific such Kevlar armor reduces bullet AP by x but not, say lightsaber's AP. The only way to do this is that the one making roll must manually setup AP adjustment for the roll. Next to modifierstack you can see three small fields with icons, one is used to adjust armor, another to setup damage multiplier and the third to adjust AP (I don't recall the order). You can use the third field to adjust/negate AP by setting up negative value

Jogi
November 10th, 2016, 21:26
You cannot define this directly to armor because these situations are case-by-case specific such Kevlar armor reduces bullet AP by x but not, say lightsaber's AP. The only way to do this is that the one making roll must manually setup AP adjustment for the roll. Next to modifierstack you can see three small fields with icons, one is used to adjust armor, another to setup damage multiplier and the third to adjust AP (I don't recall the order). You can use the third field to adjust/negate AP by setting up negative value

I see! Thanks again for the answers! Lastly - If I may - I don't understand why can't I create Edges/Hindrances or even Items (properly at least). In the case of the Edges/Hindrances, the radial menu doesn't show the "Create Item" option, and in the case of Items, only Cost and Weight are listed as item properties (which makes it impossible for me to create weapons, for example). Am I correct to assume this can only be done via addons?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for so many questions!

Ikael
November 10th, 2016, 21:31
I see! Thanks again for the answers! Lastly - If I may - I don't understand why can't I create Edges/Hindrances or even Items (properly at least). In the case of the Edges/Hindrances, the radial menu doesn't show the "Create Item" option, and in the case of Items, only Cost and Weight are listed as item properties (which makes it impossible for me to create weapons, for example). Am I correct to assume this can only be done via addons?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for so many questions!

You can create Weapons and Armors by selecting right add-button after you enabled edit-mode in Items window. The default + button creates mundane item, next to it there are buttons are create weapons and armors. You cannot use right click -> Create Item menu to create these entries.

Regarding Edges and Hindrances, you cannot create new ones because such feature is not supported by the ruleset, however you could get SW Enhanced Library extension and create edges, hindrances and gears (plus much more) with it and export it as re-usable module

Jogi
November 10th, 2016, 21:36
You can create Weapons and Armors by selecting right add-button after you enabled edit-mode in Items window. The default + button creates mundane item, next to it there are buttons are create weapons and armors. You cannot use right click -> Create Item menu to create these entries.

Regarding Edges and Hindrances, you cannot create new ones because such feature is not supported by the ruleset, however you could get SW Enhanced Library extension and create edges, hindrances and gears (plus much more) with it and export it as re-usable module

Oh my god, I feel like such a newb haha! I just installed the SW Enhanced Library and will tweak with it! Thanks for all the answers!

Dr0W
November 10th, 2016, 22:20
Hey, Jogi! Welcome and feel free to ask us whatever questions you may have, we all learned from someone else at some point.

Keep savage!