PDA

View Full Version : Non-Stop locking up

ransolot
November 8th, 2016, 00:55
Ok, is it just me or is anyone else having a problem of Fantasy Grounds locking up all the time since 3.2 update hit? It's driving me crazy

Trenloe
November 8th, 2016, 00:58
More info please! What ruleset? When does it lockup? How many modules do you have open?

A couple of people have mentioned it, one reason was found (small campaign list size for the 5E wizards theme), the rest we haven't really got any firm information regarding the problem.

Moon Wizard
November 8th, 2016, 01:17
I confirmed that the problem was limited to opening the category dropdown when the category list window was too short while using the 5E Wizards theme. I also pushed an update already to address the issue directly in the theme.

Have you updated in the last few days? There were a couple hot fixes in the first day and a half after the initial launch.

If not, can you provide more info?

Regards,
JPG

ransolot
November 8th, 2016, 15:56
It's happened on anything I've tried to open. I was successful in running one game of Savage Worlds so far but it took a few attempts to get it to open and a few attempts of people logging in. Yesterday I kept trying to open up Savage Worlds and kept locking up and never got in

Trenloe
November 8th, 2016, 15:59
1) Take a look at the memory use for FantasyGrounds.exe in Windows task manager when you start FG - what does it get to when it is locked up?
2) Immediately after FG lcoks up, please post the contents of console.log from the FG App Data directory.

Moon Wizard
November 8th, 2016, 17:52
A few more questions:

* Does this happen with any campaign?
* Does this happen with a new campaign?
* Does this only happen with SW campaigns?
* Are you running any extensions?

If it's limited to existing campaign(s), can you send a copy of an affected campaign folder (in a ZIP file) to [email protected]?
If extensions, can you try disabling?

Thanks,
JPG

ransolot
November 8th, 2016, 18:42
Yes any campaign
I haven't tried a new campaign yet, I'll try that when I return home later this week
Happened on Savage Worlds and 5e
For SW, only extensions were ETU and Adventure Cards

ransolot
November 12th, 2016, 02:32
Ok, so I got home on my main PC and it started to do it again but it's not nearly as bad. What I've narrowed it down to is anytime I click on any window outside of FG (could be a folder, desktop or anything), it starts to lock up. I've tried it a few times today and that's the same case in any ruleset. But, this time it at least stops giving me the circle (windows thinking) after a couple of mins of it being locked up.

damned
November 12th, 2016, 06:08
Windows or Mac+Wine or Linux+Wine?
Steam install or FGWebinstall?

ransolot
November 12th, 2016, 06:18
Windows FGWebinstall

damned
November 12th, 2016, 07:17
Please go into your Fantasy Grounds data folder and then rulesets and delete CoreRPG.pak and SavageWorlds.pak and then re-update.
Please try on a new blank campaign with no extension loaded.
Please try on your current campaign(s) with no extensions loaded.

Moon Wizard
November 12th, 2016, 07:35
Someone else was having similar problems, and it was actually a usb driver issue that slowed down all performance for apps on their machine. It's just that FG was affected more. Might be worth looking into.

JPG

Moon Wizard
November 12th, 2016, 07:53
Also, make sure that you don't have a folder named "5E_Theme_Wizards" or a 5E_Theme_Wizards.ext file in your extensions subfolder of your FG data folder. (Click the folder icon on the launch screen of FG to open the FG data folder.)

Thanks,
JPG

ransolot
November 13th, 2016, 01:26
Ok, I don't have those folders in the extensions folder and I deleted the CoreRPG and Savage Worlds from the rulesets. I then started a new campaign with no extensions and same thing. I opened up my tokens box, clicked GM and when it takes it to the folders, it locks up and stops responding and it force closes it out.

damned
November 13th, 2016, 01:37
How many modules do you have open?
How many tokens do you have in your token folder?
What is the RAM usage of FG before and after locking up?

Trenloe
November 13th, 2016, 01:49
Ok, I don't have those folders in the extensions folder and I deleted the CoreRPG and Savage Worlds from the rulesets. I then started a new campaign with no extensions and same thing. I opened up my tokens box, clicked GM and when it takes it to the folders, it locks up and stops responding and it force closes it out.
This, with what you mentioned before about occurring when you click outside of FG, is beginning to sound like there are issues on your computer. Maybe an issue with the hard drive, or even memory (but I'm thinking hard drive). How much free disk space do you have? Use the windows tools (available when you right click on your hard drive and select properties) to check for errors and then optimize and defrag.

ransolot
November 13th, 2016, 01:54
I'll give the optimize a go and see if that helps. Thanks for the help through this guys

ransolot
November 13th, 2016, 02:42
Ok, optimization was fine on my hard drive. Same thing happened again where I clicked outside of FG and it just locked up. I checked my performance page on my task manager when it did this and FG was using from 47%-55% CPU. There is no way that is normal

damned
November 13th, 2016, 02:53
HI ransolot you only ever answer/address half of the questions....

Trenloe
November 13th, 2016, 02:55
Ok, optimization was fine on my hard drive.
Did you do an error check as well? Or just the optimization?

Try checking your advanced graphics settings - it may have reset when the FantasyGrounds.exe file was updated with v3.2. Try setting for speed rather than quality, etc.. Experiment a bit to see if it make any difference.

Also look at the main performance tab in Task Manager - is it just CPU spiking or is the disk or other resources spiking as well?

ransolot
November 16th, 2016, 03:53
Ok.... So, what it finally came down to was one of the community packs in my set somewhere (Not Star Wars though, Trenloe!). I wiped everything out of my AppData folder and did a fresh update and everything works great. I went back and just added the stuff I "needed" in my folder and it all works great now. I wish I could be more specific about which ruleset or whatever it was, but I'm not gonna go one by one and see which one, lol. I thought I would just update you guys so we can put this to rest. Thanks again so much for the help!

Trenloe
November 16th, 2016, 05:16
Ok.... So, what it finally came down to was one of the community packs in my set somewhere (Not Star Wars though, Trenloe!). I wiped everything out of my AppData folder and did a fresh update and everything works great. I went back and just added the stuff I "needed" in my folder and it all works great now.
The only thing that makes sense is that you had a lot of tokens in the \tokens directory, or you had a some very large "token" files - they are the only "stuff" that FG will always load. Everything else (rulesets, modules, extensions) are only accessed when they are actually selected/used.

I've seen some strange issues when there are large "token" files (i.e. they aren't small token size files, they're larger images/maps).

ransolot
November 16th, 2016, 16:08
You know what, I wonder if that what it actually was then. Because I didn't put any custom tokens back in now that you mention it. Odd