PDA

View Full Version : DLR modules and noted problems

Topdecker
November 7th, 2016, 23:00
This is strictly from the perspective of my PCs and installations. Your milage may vary.

ALL SERIOUS ISSUES RESOLVED. Thanks! What remain are more about how to handle text and the ability to edit/lock it.

Deadlands Reloaded Modules status:

Blood Drive 1 through 3: Unlocked text apparently for all entries and no lock to seal it
Grim Prairie Trails : Unlocked text through-out - but the lock icon is there so it can be locked
South o the Border: Unlocked text for much of the adventure portion and no lock available
The Great Northwest: Unlocked text scattered randomly through out - no lock

I presume that 3.2 is responsible for a lot of this, but not locking entries prior to publication/release is a simple undone task. I am not sure how text can be unlocked - and have no lock available to seal it.

Anything bolded is not usuable

Tim

Trenloe
November 7th, 2016, 23:04
For the "opening it does nothing" entries: look in the individual section opened from the desktop icons down the right side and then select the relevant module from the "Group" drop down. For example: click on "Story" and then select "Devil's Night" from the group drop down - you will see all of the story entries for that module, a good place to start is "(Adventure Index)". The same is true for accessing data for the other modules, and the other sections: Personalities, Images, etc..

Topdecker
November 7th, 2016, 23:12
You are absolutely correct, Trenloe. I checked all of the modules that did not appear to check in, and they were listed in the story and accessible through it.

EDIT: Which makes me happy :)

Tim

Atrill
November 9th, 2016, 03:24
Anyway, "DLR The Flood" still have critical issue.
In Setting Rules no links opens and I can not read some setting mechanics!

damned
November 9th, 2016, 03:39
A DLR fix was pushed a few hours ago - try running the update again.

phantomwhale
November 9th, 2016, 03:56
Thanks for the reports - DLR extension was indeed patched a few hours ago, but those modules shouldn't have been having problems.

I know about some of the lock issues (a concept that didn't exist when they were created) and have been meaning to tidy them up, but the big 3.2 updates have been more pressing in the short-term.

Surprised to hear the Flood is in such a bad state - will certainly take a look into that this week.

Atrill
November 9th, 2016, 04:06
Thanks for your hard work!

Atrill
November 9th, 2016, 04:14
Oh! One more! In some adventures pics have transparency. Because of that its appear with bad looking black background and white pixels around characters. Blood Drive 1 have many for example. Please, delete transparency if you can.
This is not critical, sure, but my players will have more good feels.

phantomwhale
November 10th, 2016, 04:24
Although I am the author of the Savage Worlds ruleset and Deadlands extension, I don't get to convert all of the adventures, so there are some (such as Blood Drive) which were done by other third-party developers.

That said, Smiteworks have taken an awesome step of employing a full-time guy to quality control future products AS WELL as ensure existing products all meet a minimum standard. So I would email [email protected] with any modules you feel have had a sub-par job done on them, and they can review and queue up a future fix for them.

I know what sort of images you are talking about - sadly Pinnacle just give us the PDFs and it's up to us to extract images and work out how best to get them to display in Fantasy Grounds. My photoshop skills have gone from zero to... erm, I think I can kinda do this, over the course of doing this. I suspect others have had a similar experience. Nonetheless, Smiteworks are certainly striving to raise their bar with their existing catalog and product, so now is a great time to feedback what is up to scratch, I feel.

Topdecker
November 10th, 2016, 17:17
There are at least 4 images like this in Blood Drive 1:

https://rpg.works/files/bd_art.jpg

It is a series of ill-advised magic tool crop jobs. The art looks good except for the edited ones. Please correct me if this isn't what you are talking about, Atrill

Tim

Atrill
November 10th, 2016, 18:22
Yes, I talking exactly about this effect.

phantomwhale
November 11th, 2016, 03:29
Well, as I said, please do contact [email protected] with an email if you think Blood Drive should be fixed up.

I'm sure they'll either contact the original author, or even just fire up photoshop and do it themselves.

Ixion77
November 19th, 2016, 01:21
In DLR Player's Guide > Tables

Topdecker
November 19th, 2016, 01:42
In DLR Player's Guide > Tables

Confirmed. I am going to put this in the opening post.

Moon Wizard
November 23rd, 2016, 01:13
For the text locking, allowing edits is standard behavior for adventure modules within Fantasy Grounds, in order to allow GMs to modify adventures to suit their needs. (as opposed to reference/setting material which should be read-only). This module is set up as an adventure module, so edits are allowed. I'll review internally with our team, and see if it makes sense to change the default behavior for the core record types. Even if changed, some of the Savage Worlds record types may need to be updated by Phantomwhale independently to support locking.

For the image transparency issues, I'll pass these on to Doug, who can pass to the developer for the Blood Drive modules.

For the missing DLR tables, this issue was caused by me placing those tables in the wrong location during the massive SW module migration for v3.2. Since they are only textual tables, they shouldn't show up in the rollable tables list at all, only in the Library section.

For the Flood module, I've identified the issue.

I'll push a hot fix update for DLR player's guide and Flood modules shortly.

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
November 23rd, 2016, 01:38
Just pushed hot fix for Flood and DLR.

JPG

spite
November 23rd, 2016, 02:19
https://puu.sh/sroOX/667e818343.png

Both of those images show nothing when clicked on.

spite
November 23rd, 2016, 02:20
https://puu.sh/sroOX/667e818343.png

Both of those images show nothing when clicked on.

That phelps one worked before that hotfix aswell.

Moon Wizard
November 23rd, 2016, 02:34
I assume those are from Blood Drive 1, and they are working for me. Can you try Reverting those image records?

Thanks,
JPG

spite
November 23rd, 2016, 02:41
How do I do that? Just revert module changes?

damned
November 23rd, 2016, 02:52
Yes

spite
November 23rd, 2016, 02:58
Yup that fixed it.

Topdecker
November 23rd, 2016, 15:29
Just pushed hot fix for Flood and DLR.

JPG

Thanks for fixing it all up! I've modified the opening list accordingly.

Tim

Topdecker
December 2nd, 2016, 03:59
This is a minor bug... Savage Worlds Players Handbook, chapter 4, Allies section. The link to the table produces a scripting error. The table is accessible through the table listing, so it has a work around.

I mention it in this thread because I don't want to create another thread, especially for a minor issue.

EDIT: Also noticed that the description field for the FEAR table (the actual table) has a note in it about GUTS which may no longer be desired

Ixion77
December 2nd, 2016, 18:30
From DLR marshal's handbook: Map of the weird west missing in Images&Maps, as with any artwork (same thing for DLR player's guide).

Topdecker
December 2nd, 2016, 18:52
From DLR marshal's handbook: Map of the weird west missing in Images&Maps, as with any artwork (same thing for DLR player's guide).

It is all there, it just doesn't show up in the IMAGES category.

To find the map, in LIBRARY, click on the Marshal's handbook. In the search field, type map. It will come up. It only took me 15 minutes to find it - again. Enjoy the super-low res map. EDIT: The art is all stored under multiple entries entitled ARTWORK. Each one of these links lead to more links that are described as PICTURE 1, PICTURE 2, etc. I am not sure if any attempt was made to link the artwork to any particular topic.

These volumes could really benefit from a 3.2.x make-over for categorization and making them typical of other products in terms of organization.

Moon Wizard
December 2nd, 2016, 21:59
Yes, there's a whole discussion internally about whether and how it makes sense to "re-organize" a lot of the DLC that has already been released. Also, there's a question as to which images/maps should be in the master campaign list vs. those which should only be in the library data. (i.e. maps vs. handouts vs. covers/logos vs. general artwork, etc.). We're not sure whether it is feasible to go back and re-do all of the current content, but we'll see what makes sense from the perspective of the resources we have.

Regards,
JPG

Ixion77
December 2nd, 2016, 22:29
In Library:
Grim Praire Trails module not sorted under Deadlands Reloaded Category
Coffin Rock module, even if loaded, not displayed in Library

Moon Wizard
December 2nd, 2016, 22:35
Ixion77,

Unless a module was built specifically to have a section in the library, it will not be displayed there. Many adventure modules (especially prior to the last year or so) are built to simply to place the necessary records in the images/npcs/items lists in the campaign. This is part of the "organization" discussion that I mentioned in my previous post.

Regards,
JPG

Ixion77
December 2nd, 2016, 22:37
Yes, there's a whole discussion internally about whether and how it makes sense to "re-organize" a lot of the DLC that has already been released. Also, there's a question as to which images/maps should be in the master campaign list vs. those which should only be in the library data. (i.e. maps vs. handouts vs. covers/logos vs. general artwork, etc.). We're not sure whether it is feasible to go back and re-do all of the current content, but we'll see what makes sense from the perspective of the resources we have.

Regards,
JPG

Tnx Moon for the reply
My two cents: maybe do something like for The Great Northwest module?
Every artwork displayed in Images&Maps, named by pages number.
Here I can open and rename them at my leisure

dikdastard
February 14th, 2017, 18:45
Found this thread as I'm just making preparations to run The Flood but most of my DLR modules old and new, appear to have some major issues ( I completed the whole bundle in the sale this winter).

First noticed the issues when checking through encounters and finding the links for the critters are broken just taking me to a "new personality" blank sheet, the wild cards generally seem to be intact but are missing any weapons. I dont seem to be able to drag anything from the library on to them either so I can't even give the bad guys a stick to beat the players with- not good!!

A specific example nwhich might be helpful is first encounter in the Night of the Caretaker scenario, entitled "whately manor"- first link to supposedly a chinese ogre links to Mordecai Noss- one of Grimmes 13- maybe a tough break for the party but he has no gear or weapons or powers anyway, so maybe not! The martial artists and superior martial artists just link to blank personalities sheets as above.

I've found the function to "revert changes"- not sure if this is actually doing anything, I hadnt knowingly edited any of the modules directly anyway- do I just right click to get the menu then left click to select? When do the modules update- tried exiting to launcher and running updater but nothing changes regarding the broken stuff.
I also found the module checker function- this throws up stacks of errors mainly broken links on the savage tales but also the marshalls handbook, about the only thing that doesnt have errors is the DLR players guide but even there I get a green list of "suspicious links" whatever they are.

Have tried running 3.2 in live, test and dev modebut no change there either. Am going to try switching all extensions off next but after that am all out of ideas. Bit frustrating to have all these issues with an official DLR product. I was hoping to save on game prep time by splashing the cash and running a commercial scenario but it might be quicker to write my own stuff at this rate!

Hope someone can help. Is it just me, is anyone else running the Flood successfully in the current versions?

Cheers

dikdastard
February 14th, 2017, 19:02
reloaded with just deadlands extension running in 3.2 live version FG. Caretaker link takes me to a listing for the correct character but he has no weapons or huckster powers, just 10 power points with nothing to do with them. If I manually try to mend him eg give him a wood axe by drag and drop, his blank weapon entry loses its "type" symbol but nothing else happens. I can't add a weapon into his inventory tab either. Closing the entry and reopening it restores the blank weapon entry with just the melee symbol at the beginning. Unlocking the caretaker story entry to make it editable doesnt improve matters but there seems to be no way to make the character entry toggle read only/editable anywhere else.

Unloading the extensions has made no difference to the other broken links re the chinese ogre or martial artists as detailed above.

Is there some way I am missing to do a complete reset, or are these commercial products fundamentally broken in the current version??

Topdecker
February 14th, 2017, 20:29
I bought the entire DLR product line and have abandoned it because I continued to encounter issues and because I am trying to introduce players to Savage Worlds and I want a flawless presentation. I just did not have time. Also, as a new Savage Worlds GM, I did not want to deal with working around problems - stuff needed to work.

I had originally settled in on the BLOOD DRIVE series, but continued to have issues with the core DLR rules and tossed my work and grabbed another setting. I think that Smite is reviewing the DLR stuff (much of it is quite old now and as such could stand a revision) and they are trying to determine the best course of action. I believe that one of their goals is to make it all feel a bit more uniform - the approaches and feel of the output varies wildly.

Fixing that character.... Drag him over to NPCs and I suspect that you will be able to manipulate the copy.

Moon Wizard
February 15th, 2017, 01:25
Just updated the Flood GM module to fix many links. Some were not working from updates I previously made to the DLR Marshal's Guide to support v3.2.x that just needed to be updated, and I found a few others I fixed up while I was at it. Please let me know if there are any other errors you find.

Cheers,
JPG

Eru the One
February 28th, 2017, 08:57
I didn't see something on the forums for this, hopefully someone can point out what I'm missing. :)

NPC Humans (Rev. Grimme, Doc Holiday, Wyatt Earp, etc.) on the combat tracker do not use edges (Nerves of Steel, Level Headed, etc.) automatically, but Critters with those edges (Aztec Mummy) do. I didn't see much difference between the character sheets besides the humans having edges/hindrances broken out vs. special for critters. I tried humans from DLR Marshal's Handbook, The Flood, and 'Round the Mountain, all have this issue.

I'm only using the Adventure Deck & DLR extensions, created a new campaign to test and still have no luck.

Topdecker
February 28th, 2017, 17:42
Have you started a second instance of Fantasy Grounds (localhost as the host name) and connected to the active session with a player character? I ask because I am pretty sure that multiple features are inactive until PC's are in the combat tracker.

Eru the One
February 28th, 2017, 19:25
I did both with the same results and a new campaign as well. PCs/Critters edges worked like they are supposed to, but humans do not.

Moon Wizard
March 1st, 2017, 18:21
I've forwarded on to Ikael who has taken over the Savage Worlds development so he can take a look. Thanks for reporting.

Regards,
JPG

sirchibbi
March 5th, 2017, 04:19
Runtime Error: desktop: Unable to create window with invalid class (human : reference.humans.outlaw@DLR Marshal's Handbook)
When every I click on a link to a character out of DLR Marshals's Handbook i get the above error. Can't find any NPCS :(

Moon Wizard
March 5th, 2017, 04:39
Sirchibbi,

You need to make sure that you enable the Deadlands Reloaded extension on the launcher screen before you start your campaign, in order to access the Human record types.

Regards,
JPG

sirchibbi
March 5th, 2017, 06:44
Awesome Thank you Moon Wizard I didn't even notice the extension! Excited to try out this game.

Topdecker
March 11th, 2017, 22:26
This is all THE FLOOD materials and problems....

https://i.imgur.com/IseWBYG.png

A couple of things here.

First, it is "Strange Locales" and it was keyed in incorrectly twice. True, there may be strange locals at the Strange Locales, but then again maybe not.

Also note the IMAGES & MAPS side of things. The entries with the Pen & Paper icons are originals. The others, I added by dragging and dropping from the art assets. I've only gone through a bit of this, but it seems pretty clear that most of the maps are not classified as such. Dragging and dropping like this doesn't link back, by the way. (I stopped when I located 14 maps that were not in this list.)

Why should the maps be in the IMAGES & MAPS section? Well, I'd like to be able to build out / modify the encounters.

https://i.imgur.com/Fhum1Ga.png

How DO We Get There? Dunno, the links aren't populated and do not work.

Topdecker
March 12th, 2017, 23:20
Grim Prarie Trails...

https://i.imgur.com/jv30Gu5.png

The WHATELEY BLOOD edge results in nothing shown when the link is clicked for the shown NPC. That edge is in the DLR Player's Handbook

Topdecker
March 13th, 2017, 01:44
https://i.imgur.com/5G2Q2fM.png

I had never noticed the RANDOM button on the Encounters windows before and tried it out. It eventually produced an encounter with a GENERATE button, but clicking generate doesn't seem to do anything. Seems like a cool feature, though I am not 100% certain that another module or extension didn't add it... (and I apologize if this is the case)

Hendell
March 13th, 2017, 03:22
You need to setup the encounter first.
I tested this real quick and it does work and is very useful for the random encounters your party will run into.

Have a look.18220

Hendell
March 13th, 2017, 03:24
Drag and drop a critter or human into the lower box and it will prompt you to add a die type.
Do that as many times as you want and then you can generate the random encounter.

Topdecker
March 13th, 2017, 03:45
Ok, thank you Hendell, that clears all that up. I'll make a regional table and then link off the random encounter tables

Talyn
March 29th, 2017, 17:38
re: Humans and Critters. Wouldn't it have been simpler to just use Category for those instead of a whole new data path for humans?
Just sayin'...

Doswelk
March 30th, 2017, 10:09
It goes back to those mist shrouded days of SW 2.0 ruleset and FGII and the fact that Deadlands treats critters and people with different stats.

Knowing Ikea (and his sneak peeks at the new NPCs sheets) this will be resolved, but back in the day different fields needed different sheets.

WansumBeats
March 30th, 2017, 21:00
Hey wait what! Deadlands random encounters? Can I get some details on how to get this working?

Hendell
March 30th, 2017, 23:24
Have a look at the screenshot I posted above Wansum. It should get you started.

Topdecker
March 30th, 2017, 23:49
Hey wait what! Deadlands random encounters? Can I get some details on how to get this working?

The 'random encounter' is easier to conceptualize as a line item in a random encounter chart. I have done some of the regional tables... They are d20 tables.

https://i.imgur.com/5ysJXPu.png

The 'random encounters' populate this table:

https://i.imgur.com/mXHD6bi.png

I have it punching the result over to a story so it goes unseen (but has to be deleted):

https://i.imgur.com/lelkty9.png

Then clicking on the GENERATE BUTTON results in the actual encounter (something else that you will probably need to delete):

https://i.imgur.com/mziBqX0.png

Here is the finished encounter:

https://i.imgur.com/PR4pBXs.png

It would be nicer if we could skip all the output to story, click generate, etc, and just get it give me the encounter, but I guess nested tables are a problem. It is still quite handy. I have more than once wished for an output mode of WHISPER IN CHAT.

Hendell
March 31st, 2017, 02:19
I spent some time trying to get the encounter to populate instead of going to the story but had no luck with it either.
I tried deadlands and hellfrost.
This would be a handy feature if you could skip it going to story.

Topdecker
April 20th, 2017, 14:39
I ran the CLOCKWORK DEMOLER / PLAYING DIRTY adventure in Grim Prairie Trails and ran into the following problems:

https://i.imgur.com/UmV2Suv.jpg

Marshal Dan has a shotgun by the text, but his character sheet doesn't jive.

https://i.imgur.com/iVtuKmR.jpg

The Young Un's don't open correcty.

Talyn
April 20th, 2017, 14:44
re: Random Encounters -- if I have my way :p DLR will be remastered after the Hellfrost remaster project is finished, and the current implementation can be scrapped in favor of the new Random Encounter Generator from CoreRPG like you mentioned. It's on my list of things to crack the taskmaster whip about. :)

Remember guys, a lot of the classic SW DLC was done in like 2010, 2011... it's not going to have features that were just added to FG last year. :) But keep bringing things up, so improvements can be added to the list for the eventual remaster.

Doswelk
April 20th, 2017, 20:41
I ran the CLOCKWORK DEMOLER / PLAYING DIRTY adventure in Grim Prairie Trails and ran into the following problems:

https://i.imgur.com/UmV2Suv.jpg

Marshal Dan has a shotgun by the text, but his character sheet doesn't jive.

I agree but looking at the book the FG module is exactly right:

Marshal Dan: Use gunman stats... Armed with a Colt Peacemaker

Topdecker
April 20th, 2017, 21:14
I agree but looking at the book the FG module is exactly right:

Marshal Dan: Use gunman stats... Armed with a Colt Peacemaker

Yeah, PEG is at fault here.

Doswelk
April 21st, 2017, 09:43
When I get home (next week) I'll fix them, unless someone beats me to it.

I'll add the shotgun to the npc sheet (as it clearly should be there)