PDA

View Full Version : New user install failing

howlerman
November 7th, 2016, 16:01
I signed up for the Ultimate subscription today. I'm trying to install on a Windows 10 Pro 64-bit laptop. In anticipation of possible issues I turned off my virus scanner and my firewall. I downloaded the latest installer from your web site. When I run it, I get the UAC prompt as normal but them it fails silently. Is there a log or something I can look at to see what is happening? I'm a GM and I'm looking forward to setting up my campaign. Thanks.

Trenloe
November 7th, 2016, 17:22
Welcome to the FG forums!

My only guess is that there is still some security/AV application blocking the installer, even though you've turned it off. Check your AV/Security history to see if it is blocking the web installer or the subsequent UpdaterEngine.exe FG uses.

Moon Wizard
November 7th, 2016, 17:50
Also, check Windows Defender. I believe it will also run, even if you have separate security software.

Regards,
JPG

Nylanfs
November 7th, 2016, 19:02
If you turn off a 3rd party AV, Windows Defender automatically turns itself on silently AFAIK.

howlerman
November 8th, 2016, 04:43
If you turn off a 3rd party AV, Windows Defender automatically turns itself on silently AFAIK.

I've looked at the services running and my Trend Micro service is off and WD isn't running.

Myrdin Potter
November 8th, 2016, 12:11
I would try and download the install files again. If you have steam, try using the free client from there and then enter your license code.

Can you describe a little more clearly what is happening? The install seems to start, the windows screen changes resolution and give you the warning about installing software and you accept and then nothing happens? Is there a folder set up with the program or does it just stop?

I have had issues where after a virus scan, something gets quarantined.

You can also try right-clicking the install file and install as admin. Might be a permission issue.

damned
November 8th, 2016, 12:42
updaterengine.exe or fantasygroundsupdater.exe seem to get snafu'd a bit by various AV products immediately after an updated FG version has been released...

Trenloe
November 8th, 2016, 16:51
I've looked at the services running and my Trend Micro service is off and WD isn't running.
I'd still check to see if the files I've mentioned in post #2 above have been blocked/quarantined.

You could also try moving the fgwebinstall.exe file from the downloads directory to a temporary location on your hard drive (perhaps c:\temp create it if it doesn't exist already) and try running from there.

t6580
November 20th, 2016, 04:10
I attempted to do the same thing last night as well. On both my Windows 10 64bit, and Ubuntu 64bit. When attempting to download the files it states:

ERROR - GetPackageFiles: Network: HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden

damned
November 20th, 2016, 04:27
I attempted to do the same thing last night as well. On both my Windows 10 64bit, and Ubuntu 64bit. When attempting to download the files it states:

Either your connection is proving less reliable than it looks or you may be firewalled from the Update Server. Send an email to [email protected] with as much info as you can including your External/WAN/Public IP Address info.

Trenloe
November 20th, 2016, 22:41

Check that your security/Anti-Virus apps haven't blocked UpdaterEngine.exe from accessing the Internet. Mine did this with the recent v3.2.0 update and I had to manually allow UpdaterEngine.exe in my AV application.