PDA

View Full Version : MoreCore Ruleset

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

damned
March 7th, 2017, 08:43
Also I'm wondering if there might be an issue with /successes from the sheet. The syntax works fine as a base / command but it I add something like the following as an attack on a sheet:

[ATK] Awesome Sword (Fighting) (Finesse) /successes 6d10x7,

It properly highlights as if it recognizes that as a roll, but double-clicking does nothing and dragging it into the box just outputs the following:

[ATK] Awesome Sword (Fighting) (Finesse) /successes 6d10x (7)

The (7) at the end means it displays the number 7 as if it were the output of a roll.

I also tried making a quick NPC dropping that in the Combat Tracker and dragging the attack from either the sheet or the CT display for that character onto the NPC as if it were an attack, but neither method appears to do anything. Sam if I drop both characters on a map and drop the attack onto the NPC. No apparent effect.

I also just noticed that the Modifiers box has several small dots underneath it and that it put a +43 modifier into that box when I double-clicked the attack. Mousing over the dots it looks like they have been given the names of my attacks and damage entries, too.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Hi Zarlor - The Attacks field only accepts data in the format:
description dice
Example 1: Long Sword 1d20+1
Example 2: Long Sword [ATK] 1d20+2
Example 3: Long Sword [D] 2d4+2
It only accepts a basic dice string as the roll.
In many ways this field is redundant because there are so many other rolls that can do so much more EXCEPT that dice results rolled in Attacks can be dragged as Damage.
I would create the roll as a Roll...

Unfortunately there is a bug that sometimes crops up and kind of divorces the mods from the rolls. You may have to /reload when that happens although I think that it will sometimes clear with a standard /die 2d6 roll but i cant replicate consistently... damn squishy bugs...

damned
March 7th, 2017, 08:47
Damned,

When do you suspect your next update will be?

Jolly

Are you waiting on anything in particular?
Things I have queued...
Panel #3 flips for Abilities (#4 is Reference/Story, #5 is Notes, #6 is images).
Added Red D6 and looking as to whether to expand it and create a Fantasy Age roller.
There is a new /followon command which can tie a table (rollon) roll to another roll - eg /followon Damage rollon Location would mean that all /damage rolls will also automatically follow on with a roll on the Locations Table... :)

So Im not too sure when I will push as I would like there to be a few more goodies but I am running waaaaay short on time too...

zarlor
March 7th, 2017, 14:07
Hi Zarlor - The Attacks field only accepts data in the format:
description dice
Example 1: Long Sword 1d20+1
Example 2: Long Sword [ATK] 1d20+2
Example 3: Long Sword [D] 2d4+2
It only accepts a basic dice string as the roll.
In many ways this field is redundant because there are so many other rolls that can do so much more EXCEPT that dice results rolled in Attacks can be dragged as Damage.
I would create the roll as a Roll...

Unfortunately there is a bug that sometimes crops up and kind of divorces the mods from the rolls. You may have to /reload when that happens although I think that it will sometimes clear with a standard /die 2d6 roll but i cant replicate consistently... damn squishy bugs...

Ah, I gotcha. That's what I get for misreading the documents... or making an assumption from them, really. Thanks!

ShotGun Jolly
March 7th, 2017, 14:10
No, nothing in particular. Im just looking forwad to it. Always something exciting and new when you update it. :)

hawkwind
March 8th, 2017, 12:18
is there any way you can get the dice macros to count the number of even dice results as per the Ubiquity powered RPG's?

damned
March 8th, 2017, 12:29
No, nothing in particular. Im just looking forwad to it. Always something exciting and new when you update it. :)

ShotGun Jolly and zarlor - i have added:

/boon and /bane for Shadow of the Demon Lord
/coriolis for Coriolis RPG

I have not yet got the VtR roller working but will give it some more time later in the week.

zarlor
March 8th, 2017, 12:33

I have not yet got the VtR roller working but will give it some more time later in the week.

Very cool. I tried digging into the files to figure out some of that lua code on some of the rollers, but I have to admit that it was more than a little beyond me. :(

damned
March 8th, 2017, 12:45
is there any way you can get the dice macros to count the number of even dice results as per the Ubiquity powered RPG's?

You will need to be very precise in your description... I could interpret that in a dozen different (similar but different) ways and could waste an hour or three on each one...

hawkwind
March 8th, 2017, 13:20
in Ubiquity powered games get get to roll a pool of dice which can any size as long as the number of sides is even and you count the number of even rolls as your successes. I could do a number d2-1 rolls i suppose

zarlor
March 8th, 2017, 17:47
This isn't a particularly big deal, but looking through the desktop/scripts/morecore_trenloe_countsuccesses.lua file I noticed that he sets "rRoll.nMod = 0;" on line 38 which I THINK pulls in if there is a + number at the end of a string. I'm not sure I'm understanding lua scripting right, mind you, but I was wondering if line 70 "rRoll.nSuccessLevel = nSuccessLevel;" could be appropriately modified to something like "rRoll.nSuccessLevel = nSuccessLevel + rRoll.nmod;" to properly output any modifies as additional successes? For example something like /successes 3d10x7+1 would provide anywhere from 1 to 4 successes instead of just 0 to 3 as it would do now (or with, effectively, a +0 modifier). That might satisfy at least one instance I know of where that is used, although there are also instanced where -1 is used in something like Katanas & Trenchcoats (If you don't "keep it fresh" by doing the same action with at least one part of the dice pool being different you are supposed to reduce the result by a success.)

Trenloe
March 8th, 2017, 17:53
This isn't a particularly big deal, but looking through the desktop/scripts/morecore_trenloe_countsuccesses.lua file I noticed that he sets "rRoll.nMod = 0;" on line 38 which I THINK pulls in if there is a + number at the end of a string. I'm not sure I'm understanding lua scripting right, mind you, but I was wondering if line 70 "rRoll.nSuccessLevel = nSuccessLevel;" could be appropriately modified to something like "rRoll.nSuccessLevel = nSuccessLevel + rRoll.nmod;" to properly output any modifies as additional successes? For example something like /successes 3d10x7+1 would provide anywhere from 1 to 4 successes instead of just 0 to 3 as it would do now (or with, effectively, a +0 modifier). That might satisfy at least one instance I know of where that is used, although there are also instanced where -1 is used in something like Katanas & Trenchcoats (If you don't "keep it fresh" by doing the same action with at least one part of the dice pool being different you are supposed to reduce the result by a success.)
rRoll.nMod is a modifier to the total of the dice rolled. Hence why it is not appropriate to count successes and is set to 0 in the example extension just to be sure - but it's not actually used. The code does not look for anything after the success level - that part of the dice string is not parsed and so is ignored.

However, as you say, it is possible to strip a "modifier" from the dice string and use that in the specific action handler code to adjust the final number of successes. It's probably easier to use something other than nMod modifier (just change the name of the variable, because that's all it is) and code for it specifically, just to avoid confusion in the code - perhaps use something like nSuccessMod. This type of action would need to be coded as the current count successes does not parts any modifier.

This way, adding/removing numbers of successes can be done. It would have to be coded into a specific dice roll handler - perhaps using a similar string with a different action type, maybe /successesmod 3d10x7+1 or something like that.

[Edited since original post to add further thoughts...]

zarlor
March 8th, 2017, 19:24
Ok, thanks. Not completely sure I get how to do that. Apparently I need to figure out lua better, first, but the guidance you've provided should be helpful.

Trenloe
March 8th, 2017, 19:27
Ok, thanks. Not completely sure I get how to do that. Apparently I need to figure out lua better, first, but the guidance you've provided should be helpful.
Ask damned to do it. :)

damned
March 8th, 2017, 20:47

So much for fishing lessons!

Trenloe
March 8th, 2017, 20:49
So much for fishing lessons!
OK, if you want to be a teacher: ask damned to tell you how to do it! :)

ShotGun Jolly
March 8th, 2017, 22:31

Wicked! Thank you!

zarlor
March 9th, 2017, 01:21

Well, that /successes code has your name it so maybe I should ask you to do it! ;)

As for actually learning it... I'd have to wrap my head around lua coding. I may be a Unix geek, but outside of shell scripting and some old experience with C and BASIC programming I'm a bit out of my depth. Looking at this code I'm not even sure what's a command and what's a variable! It'd take me a while to get through it and I'll probably need to dive into https://www.lua.org/start.html to really get into it. Now where to find the time...

Ixion77
March 9th, 2017, 17:54
I have uploaded 1.38 now

I havent had time to update the doco - will do as soon as I can...

Some of the additions are new dice rollers for Pendragon /pendragon, Black Crusade /blackcrusade, Talislanta /talislanta, Traveller /trav, Symbaroum /symb, /trait, /ability, /mtrait, Harn /harn
There is also the Red Stunt Die for AGE games called by d1006, and the Traveller dice called with d66 and d666

Some enhancements to the /edie and /rnk dice to show portraits of rolling character and a /rnkd dice which does damage rolls instead or dice rolls.

No other substantial changes just now.

Testing the /symb roll from character sheet.
But looks like it won't work.
Create a dice string /symb
Console report: Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_custom_symb.lua"]:143: attempt to perform arithmetic on local 'save' (a nil value)

Also FG won't save the icon disaplyed on the right bar.
I choose to see all icons, but everytime I open again the campaign, the right bar reset do default setting.

Surely I'm doing something wrong. But what? :P

damned
March 9th, 2017, 22:17
Hi Ixion77

There is a typo in the dicehelp string - right now use /symb 1d20<# however in the next release it will use /symb 1d20x# so maybe just hold off...

Something changed in CoreRPG and I need to work out what to change to save the window selections again. It should also be fixed in the next release (post 3.3.0 release).

Imiri
March 11th, 2017, 07:12
The /symb bug is actually a feature ;-)
That is because you can also use it with /symb 1d20># - than it isn't a Symbaroum roll anymore but maybe usfull for other games where you have to roll over a certain threshold to have a success.

damned
March 11th, 2017, 07:43
The /symb bug is actually a feature ;-)
That is because you can also use it with /symb 1d20># - than it isn't a Symbaroum roll anymore but maybe usfull for other games where you have to roll over a certain threshold to have a success.

true - but /saving lets you do that already :)

Ixion77
March 11th, 2017, 08:48
Hi Ixion77

There is a typo in the dicehelp string - right now use /symb 1d20<# however in the next release it will use /symb 1d20x# so maybe just hold off...

Something changed in CoreRPG and I need to work out what to change to save the window selections again. It should also be fixed in the next release (post 3.3.0 release).

Also /symb looks like won't apply any modifiers?

damned
March 12th, 2017, 05:23
Also /symb looks like won't apply any modifiers?

Imiri - this looks correct - do you want to resubmit or I can fix.

ShotGun Jolly
March 12th, 2017, 11:37
Hey,

There are a couple of newer RPGs, and a few Miniatures games that use a d66 roller..

Roll 2d6, the first number is the "Tens" and the second number is the "Ones" So you read it like percentile.

D66, Rolls 2d6 gets a 4 and 3. Results in a 43.

So really it goes from
11-16
21-26
31-36
41-46
51-56
61-66

Can FG support a die roller like that? /d66?

damned
March 12th, 2017, 12:27
Hey,

There are a couple of newer RPGs, and a few Miniatures games that use a d66 roller..

Roll 2d6, the first number is the "Tens" and the second number is the "Ones" So you read it like percentile.

D66, Rolls 2d6 gets a 4 and 3. Results in a 43.

So really it goes from
11-16
21-26
31-36
41-46
51-56
61-66

Can FG support a die roller like that? /d66?

try /trav d66 and /trav d666

damned
March 12th, 2017, 15:05
try /trav d66 and /trav d666

grrrrr that was sooooo wrong....

use /die 1d60+1d6 and /die 1d600+1d60+1d6

the traveller syntax is /trav 2d6+X

Bidmaron
March 12th, 2017, 15:32
I don't see how that will work, damned. d60 will give 1-60, whereas what you really need is d6*10+d6.

damned
March 12th, 2017, 22:47
I don't see how that will work, damned. d60 will give 1-60, whereas what you really need is d6*10+d6.

You should try it....

Bidmaron
March 13th, 2017, 01:37
OK. I guess you custom-coded it. I don't use MoreCore (yet, anyway). Sorry. But you have done a very impressive job on your ruleset though.

damned
March 13th, 2017, 12:14
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18222&d=1489403659

damned
March 16th, 2017, 14:25
in Ubiquity powered games get get to roll a pool of dice which can any size as long as the number of sides is even and you count the number of even rolls as your successes. I could do a number d2-1 rolls i suppose

Does this work for you hawkwind?

/ubiquity #d#

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18261

hawkwind
March 16th, 2017, 18:20
perfect, the urge to run some Space 1889 ubiquity style is now strong

damned
March 17th, 2017, 00:11
perfect, the urge to run some Space 1889 ubiquity style is now strong

I just grabbed it on Bundle of Holding today.

Sibelius
March 21st, 2017, 03:05
Greetings.

I have finally been able to write the*code*for*two new L5R4E rolls. I attach two files:

common\scripts\morecore_rolls.lua
desktop\scripts\morecore_ikael_dicemechanics.lua

You can find two new dice slash*commands:

/rnkdk #k# [Description]
This roll is used to determine the damage of a katana, when the user has a Kenjutsu skill of 7 or more.
The dice mechanic is simple: 9s and 10s explode (instead of the usual 10s explosion). It is a damage roll.

/rnke #k# [Description]
This roll is very frequent in L5R 4th Edition, and it is used for rolling any skill with 'emphasis' (meaning specially experienced skills of*the character).
The dice mechanic goes as follows: before exploding 10s as usual, player can re-roll the ONES obtained, but only ONCE.

I hope it is useful for XenophageX and any other L5R fans. Damne*d will include the changes in next 1.39 MoreCore version, although you can install these files beforehand to start using the new rolls.

Let me know if you find any flaw or suggest any change by PM.

Sibelius

damned
March 21st, 2017, 14:57
Well done Sibellius - I will add these to MoreCore v1.39 which will come out after CoreRPG 3.3.0

steveonzakon
March 30th, 2017, 23:29
Just "finished" a module in MoreCore ruleset for "Wild West" PnP game system. I don't think I would have gotten this done without your flexible character sheet and adding the dice rollers. Thanks for providing this rule set to us!
I would like to modify the character sheet layout to make it feel more "Old West" (eg. get rid of spells area, etc.), but not sure what that would entail, and it could break my brain.

vodokar
March 30th, 2017, 23:48
Making an extension to overhaul the character sheet isn't too difficult of a task. It's still programming, don't get me wrong. But, it can be done. It just depends on how much time you are willing to put into the project.

steveonzakon
March 31st, 2017, 00:02
I don't mind tinkering around with stuff. Building the db.xml for my module was more tedious than technically challenging :)
I'd be more than happy to poke around under the hood, but the dev guides haven't enlightened me as to what I need to do. Maybe I need to have another look at the guides.

vodokar
March 31st, 2017, 00:25
The best way to learn is to start cracking open rulesets and inspecting the code and then asking questions. I would also, for the most part, call modifying a character sheet, more tedious than it is brain busting or technically challenging. Move this thing 1 pixel, /reload. Not where I want it. Move it 5 pixels, /reload. ad nausium.

damned
March 31st, 2017, 04:03
I don't mind tinkering around with stuff. Building the db.xml for my module was more tedious than technically challenging :)
I'd be more than happy to poke around under the hood, but the dev guides haven't enlightened me as to what I need to do. Maybe I need to have another look at the guides.

Hi steveonzakon I think you might find building a basic MoreCore theme easier than you think.
If you download one of the existing MoreCore Themes (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35056-MoreCore-Themes) (probably try the Symbaroum theme as it is the newest one) you should find it relatively easy to build.

Would you try emailing the copyright holder and sending them some screen shots and ask them if they would give you permission to share the FG module? You never know. Otherwise you can still likely export your Rolls and export those.

If you really get stuck with the theme I will build one (especially if you ask the publisher for sharing permission and/or share the rolls!).

damned
March 31st, 2017, 16:08
Look its not perfect... but this is a sample of what you can do building off the MoreCore Theme examples...
Now go email the publisher or rights holder!

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18394&d=1490972927

steveonzakon
April 1st, 2017, 04:26
Modifying the extension is coming along. Everything is the way I want except
1. Character sheet: I haven't touched this yet, so not asking for help... yet.

2. The side bar default icon set that shows up. I have added the manager_library_mc.lua file to the extension scripts folder and modified the following lines in an effort to stop the "Quests" icon from showing up for the GM, and turn on the "Tables" for players. No luck, so I modified the MoreCore.pak lua script as well. Still no change. Any help would be very... helpful :)

aDefaultSidebarState = {
["gm"] = "charsheet,note,image,table,story,npc,battle,item,t reasureparcel,cas,char_ability",
["play"] = "charsheet,note,image,story,item,cas,char_ability",table,
["create"] = "charsheet,cas,char_ability",
};

Also, the extension appears to have a file called extension.xml instead of the base.xml file that I found in the ruleset. I added the following line to extension.xml

<!-- Load Desktop -->
<script name="LibraryManager" file="scripts/manager_library_mc.lua" />
I assume that should work.

Thx in advance.

steveonzakon
April 1st, 2017, 05:10
Here are a couple of screenshots of the Wild West Extension I m working on.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18397&d=1491019479

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18398&d=1491019490

Big shout out to Dr_Venture. You may recognize many of the side bar icons from work he did several years ago.

damned
April 1st, 2017, 05:37
Good stuff steveonzakon
One thing to note with your background image - FG uses a nine slices system of scaling/resizing the background for different resolutions.
Probably the best way to use a large graphic like this is to define it as topleft and also define top and middle
extension.xml is correct for an extension and base.xml is correct for a ruleset.
You want to include \scripts\data_library.lua from CoreRPG in your extension (never overwrite/modify the base ruleset) and remove the Quests etc from this file.
You might also find you will run into trouble with the graphic at the top of the chat window - experiment with this code - add it in the \common\template_wildwest.xml file:

<windowclass name="chat" merge="join">
<sheetdata>
<chatwindow name="chat">
<bounds>20,130,-28,-65</bounds>

</chatwindow>
<scrollbar name="chatscroll">
<bounds>-30,140,18,-70</bounds>
<target>chat</target>
</scrollbar>

</sheetdata>
</windowclass>

steveonzakon
April 1st, 2017, 09:48
Once I found the xml file, it was actually a pretty easy tweak to remove the "Spells" frame and expand the "Attacks" frame. Here is the completed character sheet.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18399&stc=1&d=1491035943

One item of note, and I think it is probably a CoreRPG issue: If I put enough items in the Attacks frame that I invoke the scroll bar, I can't roll dice on the bottom item. Clicking auto scrolls me back to the top line without rolling dice.

steveonzakon
April 1st, 2017, 09:54
Good stuff steveonzakon
One thing to note with your background image - FG uses a nine slices system of scaling/resizing the background for different resolutions.
Probably the best way to use a large graphic like this is to define it as topleft and also define top and middle
extension.xml is correct for an extension and base.xml is correct for a ruleset.
You want to include \scripts\data_library.lua from CoreRPG in your extension (never overwrite/modify the base ruleset) and remove the Quests etc from this file.
You might also find you will run into trouble with the graphic at the top of the chat window - experiment with this code - add it in the \common\template_wildwest.xml file:

All the code corrections are now complete. Looks pretty sweet in my opinion.
Re: Chat box code, I am leaving the native code in place, as it allows me to manually size the frame from inside the client.
Now the hard part begins; designing the campaign and associated plots, characters, maps, etc.

Thanks for all your help.

damned
April 2nd, 2017, 02:25
Hi steveonzakon

The Chat Window code I posted is merge code so it leaves the rest of the chat window functionality unchanged. It sets the area in which the chat text will flow - eg so it wont flow over your message at the top of the chat window.

I think your rolls could likely do so much more. 90% of them are chat messages only.
What are the dice mechanics you need? In detail please.

Yes - the attacks issue is due to the way that the scroll and the mouse-over features interact with each other.

It looks like you may have changed something else with the charsheet graphic or definition to introduce the black section at the bottom of the frame?

vodokar
April 2nd, 2017, 03:20
Have we determined yet if this is something that can be shared? It looks really nice and likely could be of use to some people if it is able to be shared.

damned
April 2nd, 2017, 04:50
The game has been out of print for 30 years. Its hard finding contact info for anyone involved. Ive sent a message via a forum elsewhere to one person involved. Ive no idea if they will even get the message let alone reply...

vodokar
April 2nd, 2017, 05:12
Hmm, which one, Boot Hill? If so, good luck with that one. Not even sure who holds the rights to that one anymore.

steveonzakon
April 2nd, 2017, 06:16
The rules in use here is "Wild West" published by Fantasy Games Unlimited Inc. I might put some feelers out next week.

steveonzakon
April 2nd, 2017, 06:31
Hi steveonzakon

The Chat Window code I posted is merge code so it leaves the rest of the chat window functionality unchanged. It sets the area in which the chat text will flow - eg so it wont flow over your message at the top of the chat window.

I think your rolls could likely do so much more. 90% of them are chat messages only.
What are the dice mechanics you need? In detail please.

Yes - the attacks issue is due to the way that the scroll and the mouse-over features interact with each other.

It looks like you may have changed something else with the charsheet graphic or definition to introduce the black section at the bottom of the frame?

I see what you mean about the chat text scrolling over the background "letterhead. I'll take a look at it when I get a chance.
As far as rolls mechanics, the success/failure resolution is not automation friendly, and damage is done by body location rather than to a single overall health pool, so may be tricky to automate as well.
All rolls are designed to be simple d6 or d100 checks with modifiers, so thats pretty straight forward. Iv'e been pretty busy tweaking the UI and inputting the rules, and just threw stuff onto the character sheet to get a sense of what I can do with each area.
The charsheet background graphic I am using right now isn't properly sized for the sheet length. I'll fix that up next week sometime.
Cheers, and thanks for the feedback.

Maspalio
April 2nd, 2017, 16:57
Is it possible with the dice mechanics actually loaded in the MoreCoreRuleset to have this kind of rolls? : i roll 2D6. Result is die1 + die2 +/- X, where X is either a characteristics and/or a skill and/or an external factor (weather, darkness, etc). If a 12 is rolled on the two 6-sided dice, then 2D6 are re-rolled and added to the result, giving 12 + another 2D6 +/- X. If a 2 is rolled on the two 6-sided dice, then 2D6 are re-rolled and substracts to the result, giving us 2 - 2D6 +/- X.

damned
April 3rd, 2017, 00:43
Is it possible with the dice mechanics actually loaded in the MoreCoreRuleset to have this kind of rolls? : i roll 2D6. Result is die1 + die2 +/- X, where X is either a characteristics and/or a skill and/or an external factor (weather, darkness, etc). If a 12 is rolled on the two 6-sided dice, then 2D6 are re-rolled and added to the result, giving 12 + another 2D6 +/- X. If a 2 is rolled on the two 6-sided dice, then 2D6 are re-rolled and substracts to the result, giving us 2 - 2D6 +/- X.

No - there is no dice roller that only explodes when all dice are max.
You are welcome to write one and we can then include it in the next update.

If you do this use the ones in: \scripts as a template (these have more integration than the ones in \desktop\scripts)

Thane
April 10th, 2017, 16:16
Hey all!

Quick question. Would Morecore be better for a Castles and Crusades campaign or would using the older rules module for that system be the way to go. Morecore just seems to have so much to offer.

Thanks ahead of time,

Bernard

Trenloe
April 10th, 2017, 17:27
Quick question. Would Morecore be better for a Castles and Crusades campaign or would using the older rules module for that system be the way to go.
I not sure where you're getting the impression that the Castles and Crusades ruleset wouldn't be the way to go for playing a Castles and Crusades game. If by "older" you mean it's been around for a while, then yes. But it is layered on top of CoreRPG (which MoreCore is too), so any new features in CoreRPG are available in C&C. With C&C you also get all of the library data, C&C specific character, NPC and item sheets, etc., etc.. I really see no reason why you wouldn't use the C&C ruleset for playing C&C. At $10 it is well worth the purchase.

Morecore just seecrms to have so much to offer.
Any thing in particular you see that MoreCore would offer C&C games over the C&C ruleset?

Talyn
April 10th, 2017, 17:44
Not to mention that $10 gets you the ruleset, the Player's Handbook and Monsters & Treasure! That's a helluva bargain.

Edit: Both of which will be updated to the latest printings Soon™ by yours truly...

Thane
April 10th, 2017, 17:49
"I not sure where you're getting the impression"
Sound like my wife after Friday nights attempted bedding...

Quick question, quick answers. Thanks! Try to pace my spending and make sure I am getting the value I need, before I drop money.

Thane
April 10th, 2017, 17:50
Thanks Talyn! Now that is a salient reason I had not known (one of many things I don't know).

YAKO SOMEDAKY
April 10th, 2017, 18:43
This is just a theoretical and rhetorical questioning, but how would you direct CoreRPG stuff to MoreCore RPG?
Let's just say leave MoreCore official?
Has the FG team ever thought of switching to one another and making MoreCore "official"?

Trenloe
April 10th, 2017, 20:50
This is just a theoretical and rhetorical questioning, but how would you direct CoreRPG stuff to MoreCore RPG?
Has the FG team ever thought of switching to one another and making MoreCore "official"?
Remember that CoreRPG is the base that most commercial rulesets use as their base - 5E, 4E, 3.5E, Pathfinder, C&C, CoC, Numenera, etc.. So CoreRPG has to be there. MoreCore is a layered ruleset (just like those I've just mentioned), so uses CoreRPG stuff and needs to keep using CoreRPG stuff so that it keeps up to date with the base functionality.

Other than that, I'm not sure what you're asking?

Andraax
April 10th, 2017, 23:00
Other than that, I'm not sure what you're asking?

I read it as "MoreCore should be merged into CoreRPG."

Trenloe
April 10th, 2017, 23:27
I think there's a specific reason that CoreRPG is the level of functionality it is - i.e. if it gets too advanced then all of the "advanced" rulesets that layer on top of it have more complexity to keep compatible with the base CoreRPG. That's one of the reasons why CoreRPG doesn't have things like health/HP built in, to allow the layered ruleset to expand on top of CoreRPG rather than replace/change CoreRPG too much.

I think MoreCore is great - as a community ruleset. Adding in new community dice requirements on the fly and adapting to community needs. Trying to merge this as the "new" CoreRPG would put a lot of work on the FG developers - and would require all current rulesets that layer on top of CoreRPG to be tested extensively and probably modified. Then we'd see a "new" CoreRPG update cycle slow to that of the current update cycle. Much better to keep it as MoreCore community developed software... Unless damned wants to move it into the official realms, of course. ;)

damned
April 10th, 2017, 23:39
Hey all!

Quick question. Would Morecore be better for a Castles and Crusades campaign or would using the older rules module for that system be the way to go. Morecore just seems to have so much to offer.

Thanks ahead of time,

Bernard

Hi Bernard,

No I would not use MoreCore for running most game systems that have their own ruleset already. Maybe for some older community rulesets that are now buggy as they havent been maintained. Castles & crusades is a solid ruleset and provides a wealth of information and resources too. I use the Castles&Crusades ruleset and am very happy with it.

damned
April 10th, 2017, 23:44

Hi yako2020 - thanks :)
No - CoreRPG provides a big chunk of the functionality for all the CoreRPG rulesets. And I mean a big chunk. CoreRPG stops where it does because those next features overlap/conflict with the other rulesets built on top. If you layered 5e on top of MoreCore you would get some very strange results as they change many of the same things (but 5e changes many, many more).
MoreCore is also a community developed ruleset with me doing a fair chunk of the work and my coding is very much a trial by fire and nowhere near as smart or tight as something written by the Moon Wizard.
I do think that for game systems that dont have a ruleset MoreCore is going to give you way more features and functionality than CoreRPG but it doesnt replace the need for CoreRPG.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
April 11th, 2017, 00:11
I understood, as I said it was only theoretical and rhetorical ... it's that I always get excited about the good materials produced and always aim for things with them ...

Wookiee420
April 17th, 2017, 08:02
Hey Damned, how difficult would it be to do vehicle combat using MoreCore?

JohnD
April 17th, 2017, 08:19
Hey all!

Thanks ahead of time,

Bernard

Good grief the c&c ruleset is solid and more than up to the task of running a game!

dulux-oz
April 17th, 2017, 08:32
As a good as MoreCore may be (and it is), the C&C Ruleset is designed specifically for use with C&C, is as up-to-date as any SmiteWorks-supported Ruleset could be, and has had a long time to "mature".

MoreCore, on the other-hand, is designed for those RPGs that don't have a dedicated Ruleset, nor the personnel to maintain such a Ruleset.

(Personally, I'd use MoreCore under any circumstances except when I had a dedicated, supported, up-to-date specific Ruleset - or one of my own generic Core-based Rulesets like DORCore)

Can you play C&C with MoreCore - yes, of course you can. Would you - not when the C&C Ruleset exists.

Just my $0.02 worth :)

damned
April 17th, 2017, 10:16
Hey Damned, how difficult would it be to do vehicle combat using MoreCore?

MoreCore doesnt know anything about vehicles or about most things. Im sure you could run vehicle combat in MoreCore but the real question is what are the mechanics (in detail) for your combat example? If you explain the required mechanics (rolls) in detail then I can answer your question properly :)

Wookiee420
April 17th, 2017, 17:23
Thats makes sense, let me re read and get to the point i understand these vehicle rules back and forth and i will let you know...

Dman101
April 21st, 2017, 04:42
I am pretty new to FG and really, really new to MoreCore. Loving it so far! I am still having some trouble figuring out the dice rolling options for MoreCore. I know I can /edie to get exploding dice and /successes to have it count a roll above X# so how would I go about getting it to do both with a single expression?

damned
April 21st, 2017, 05:23
Welcome Dman101

Unfortunately the current FG engine does not have anywhere near the dice rolling macros of the other 2 big tabletops.
The additional rolls in MoreCore are manually coded (edie was largely coded by ikael and updated to fit into MoreCore for example) and can only do exactly what they were coded to do.
You cant chain rolls together like that with this implementation. We would have to write a new roller - maybe something like /edies #d#x# where the final # is the number to beat to count as a success

Its possible to do for sure - but it will mean you (or someone) diving in under the covers and checking out the LUA scripts that drive that roll...

If you do go down that route - dont make any changes today - as I have (coutesy of Sibelius) some /rnk variations that share that same script file to be uploaded with 1.39 real soon now.

damned
April 22nd, 2017, 18:35
Hi Dman101 how does this look?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18635

Dman101
April 23rd, 2017, 06:49
Very cool! That was just what I was looking for. I take it that isn't implemented yet? You said something about 1.39. I tried it when I saw your post and it didn't work.

I'm trying to put together an older 2nd/3rd Shadowrun game and was expecting to use a work around for that, so having that will simplify some of the dice heavy mechanics.

Thanks for the help!!!

damned
April 23rd, 2017, 07:07
1.39 is v.close
Im trying to punch out some rolls for Champions...

xazil
April 23rd, 2017, 15:37
Can I request a /harp for d100 that explode at 96+ and mention the explosion when returning the number?

damned
April 23rd, 2017, 15:50
Can I request a /harp for d100 that explode at 96+ and mention the explosion when returning the number?

Hey mate - I just spent the whole day doing the champions ones and I really need to get MoreCore 1.39 pushed because there are a bunch of other rolls (Legends of the 5 Rings, Coriolis, Shadow of the Demon Lord, Pendragon etc) that people are waiting on 1.39 for so it wont be in this next build...

Can you spell out - in far more detail - what the actual roll is and a good clear example and I will do it for 1.40...

xazil
April 23rd, 2017, 15:55
Harp is a Rolemaster lite that still d100 with upwards explosions for most rolls, but unlike most of the explosion mods its 96 and higher.

I was actually poking at the code when I saw your warning to hold off until the patch. I might do the work to make a small mod after 1.39 and toss it back to you afterwards to integrate if you like.

Andraax
April 23rd, 2017, 16:12
Here's the basic flow for high-open HARP rolls:

total = 0;
do {
last_roll = roll d100;
total += last_roll;
} while (last_roll >= 96);
return total;

damned
April 24th, 2017, 00:20
Hi xazil community members building their own rolls and pushing them back into MoreCore is definitely the preferred way for this to happen!
There are two different roll types - those in /scripts are better integrated with MoreCore than those in /desktop/scripts
They both work but there are more options available using the former and they work with things like the cool new /followon [rollname] rollon [tablename] feature whereas the others dont.

Thanks Andraax. is the target number variable or fixed? Does it accept modifiers?

xazil
April 24th, 2017, 00:40
No problems, as I said I had one in progress when I saw your message.

Modifier would be added after the While in Andraax's pseudocode, its the natural 96+ that triggers explosion(s).

Andraax
April 24th, 2017, 01:03
Also, that's a general dice mechanic. It can have a target or not, depending on what you're rolling it for.

damned
April 24th, 2017, 05:35
Ok so version 1.39 has been posted with a whole slew of new rolls.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34860-MoreCore-Ruleset&p=299288&viewfull=1#post299288

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18660

Valid Dice Strings are:

/bane #d# (roll #d# and add the highest value as a -mod to the modifier tool)
/boon #d# (roll #d# and add the highest value as a mod to the modifier tool)
/blackcrusade 1d100x# (hash is difficulty, results in degrees)
/conan 2d20x#y# (roll 2d20+skill+specialisation, each dice equal or under skill is a success, each dice under specialisation is an additioanl success, modifiers increase the number of dice

/champions # (use OCV for # to determine DCV success)
/ckill #d6 (roll #d6 for Body damage + 1d6 to determine additional body damage)
/cskill c# (roll equal or under 9+characteristic/5+skill on 3d6)
/cstun #d6 (roll #d6 for Stun and Body damage)

/die #d#+# (roll #dice and add #) r
/dsr 1d20+# (roll 1d20+modifiers - 15 or better is success, 11 or better is a near miss)
/edie #d# (roll #dice and explode)
/edies #d#x# (roll #dice and explode, count results above # as successes)
/harn 1d100x# (checks for success and criticals)
/heal #d#+# (need to ctrl-drag to apply negative damage)
/hitos # (roll 3d10, the middle number must equal or beat #)
/orderresult #d# (roll #d# and order results)
/pbta #d#+# (roll #dice and add #)
/pendragon 1d20 # (roll 1d20 equal or under target, equal target is Critical Success, 20 is Fumble)
/qin (Qin Yin/Yang dice)
/rolld #d#x# (roll #dice drop # lowest)
/rollover #d#x# (roll #dice and count #-, accepts extra dice from modifiers)
/rollunder #d#x# (roll #dice and count #-, accepts extra dice from modifiers)

/rnk #k# (roll #d10 explode and keep highest #)
/rnkd #k# (exploding dice doing damage)
/rnkdk #k# (exploding dice on 9 and 10 doing damage)
/rnke #k# (re-roll 1s once and then explode 10s)

/saving #d#+#<># (roll dice and equal or higher/lower for success)
/sfdice #d#s#f# (roll #dice, count #s[Success] and #f[Fail])
/successes #d#x# (roll #dice and count #+)
/symb 1d20x# (roll equal/under target)
/talislanta 1d20+# (roll 20+ Critical Success, 11-19 Full Success, 6-10 Partial Success, 1-5 Failure, 0 or less Mishap, accepts multiple modifiers)
/thac0 1d20+#x# (roll 1d20+mod, x# is characters THAC0 value)
/trav 2d6+# (Traveller roll 2d6+mod)
/woddice #s# (roll #d10, count dice above #, subtract 1s, use Modifier box for additional Difficulty modification)

/ability (description only)
/cleric (description only)
/mtrait (description only)
/spell (description only)
/trait (description only)

/mod # (adds entry to the Modifier box, accepts negatives)
/rollon [table name] <-c [column name]> <-d [NdN+N]> <-hide> (rolls on table)
/followon [rollname] rollon [tablename] (registers an event that will roll on the [tablename] any time that character does the [rollname] roll. /followon [rollname] without further arguments to unregister.)

xazil
April 24th, 2017, 05:44
Nice work Damned. :)

Can see use for several of these like /mod, /followon and /rollon.

damned
April 24th, 2017, 05:49
Lots of rolls accept /mod and /boon and /bane actually roll #dd6 and place the highest value into modifiers (so if you need dice examples for modifiers use these) and you need to be aware that /followon only works with those scripts in the /scripts format - the ones in /desktop/scripts dont follow the newer standard.
So there are lots of great rolls there already and lots of examples to work from in building new ones.

damned
April 24th, 2017, 15:28
Can any Champions players load this extension in a BRAND NEW MoreCore campaign and provide some feedback...

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18661&d=1493043999

alessandro
April 24th, 2017, 21:17
Is there a way to add a bonus or penalty die to a pbta roll/Dungeon World move?
If (and only if) a bonus die is "checked/selected" (advantage): roll 3d6, drop the lowest, add the Ability Score, return pbta result (Failure with hard choice, Success with Cost or Success).
If a penalty dice is "checked/selected" (disadvantage): roll 3d6, drop the highest, add the Ability Score, return pbta result.

damned
April 25th, 2017, 00:10
Is there a way to add a bonus or penalty die to a pbta roll/Dungeon World move?
If (and only if) a bonus die is "checked/selected" (advantage): roll 3d6, drop the lowest, add the Ability Score, return pbta result (Failure with hard choice, Success with Cost or Success).
If a penalty dice is "checked/selected" (disadvantage): roll 3d6, drop the highest, add the Ability Score, return pbta result.

No - not at this time.
Id probably look at /pbta and /hitos and look at rolling 3 dice and ordering them and keeping either the first two or the last two results.
Give it a go!
What game uses that?

ShotGun Jolly
April 25th, 2017, 08:25
Damned,

I haven't downloaded this yet, but the Coriolis roller, is it still there? I dont see it on the list.

Jolly.

damned
April 25th, 2017, 08:56
Damned,

I haven't downloaded this yet, but the Coriolis roller, is it still there? I dont see it on the list.

Jolly.

As soon as i saw you post on the thread I thought crap I cant remember adding a /coriolis roll in my screenshot but it is in there! I also didnt add it in the /dicehelp file!
So for anyone reading - its
/coriolis #d6
and it adds dice based on modifiers - eg a +2 modifier adds two dice.

alessandro
April 25th, 2017, 09:28
No - not at this time.
Id probably look at /pbta and /hitos and look at rolling 3 dice and ordering them and keeping either the first two or the last two results.
Give it a go!

Hi Damned, thank you for your suggestion.
I think the problem is the Bonus/Penalty die is applied only on special circumstances, so probably it would require a sort of "flag" to check/uncheck (a sort of D&D5e ADV and DIS near the modifier box, bottom left; or COC7e +1B/+1P). Currently beyond my programming skills :-)

What game uses that?
It's a House Rule we are using for Dungeon World. Barbarians of Lemuria has a similar mechanics (If you have a boon, you roll 3d6 instead of 2d6, and discard the lowest).

I discovered More Core only a few days ago (I was looking for a Dungeon World ruleset), but i think it's really great!!! Thank you very much for it!

damned
April 25th, 2017, 10:12
Hi alessandro here is a script that will allow you to create a second roll for each attribute - replace the one in the current ruleset. Ill include it in the next update.
/pbta 3d6+#
and it will keep the 2 highest die. you can even do 2d6+1d8+#
the dice will still roll and display the sum of all dice rollled (you could do many more dice) but the message will report the sum of the 2 highest+mods and the result.

I use MoreCore for Dungeon World and for another PbtA game City of Mist.

Wolfheart
April 27th, 2017, 15:43
Hello Damned and thanks for all the good work.

Two questions after putting the latest MoreCore.pak in the ruleset folder but not starting up FG just yet.

1) I have a few self-converted RPG rule systems for which I use CoreRPG (latest, vanilla) to open. No modifications to anything except background art. Will I face any torment opening this stuff with MoreCore as ruleset?

2) To be honest I haven't read it all thoroughly so I might be asking a dumb question. Does MoreCore support Star Wars D6's "wild die" mechanic in some way? (I know I can just roll a d6 separately, but since FG's dice can't have different colors *Unity gimme this gimme gimme* it's a bit of a hassle).

3) If I understand what I did read correctly, I can now use MoreCore/FG to simulate the following, am I right?
Roll 6d10 against Target Number 7. All rolls of 7 or higher count as successes.

Wolfheart
April 27th, 2017, 15:45
Oh noes, wait.. the stuff is already "trapped" in CoreRPG :(

Edit: But I can export all that stuff as a module and load it up in a new campaign using MoreCore?

vodokar
April 27th, 2017, 18:38
1) Export as a module.
2) Change the .mod to .zip and unzip the module. Use Notepad++ to edit the definition.xml file.
3) Change <ruleset>CoreRPG</ruleset> to read <ruleset>MoreCore</ruleset>.
4) Save that and you have now specified the module can be opened in MoreCore.

Characters can be imported directly without changing anything.

There should be little effect at all. MoreCore adds a new character sheet tab to the existing CoreRPG character sheet, so everything you had previously should be there intact.

Trenloe
April 27th, 2017, 18:44
1) Export as a module.
You only need step 1. MoreCore has <acceptfrom ruleset="CoreRPG" /> in the base.xml file, so it can read modules exported from CoreRPG without editing.

Andraax
April 27th, 2017, 18:46
1) Export as a module.
2) Change the .mod to .zip and unzip the module. Use Notepad++ to edit the definition.xml file.
3) Change <ruleset>CoreRPG</ruleset> to read <ruleset>MoreCore</ruleset>.
4) Save that and you have now specified the module can be opened in MoreCore.

You don't need to do all that. Since MoreCore is based on CoreRPG, you can open CoreRPG modules directly.

Wolfheart
April 27th, 2017, 20:48
Thanks!

xazil
April 27th, 2017, 20:52
Finally got around to poking at the code. I don't think this is really worthy of the title extension so I thought I'd throw it up here if anyone likes.

It adds /harp which is always a d100 that explodes on 96+ and notes that it exploded.

Feel free to use and if you run into any issues please get back to me.

vodokar
April 27th, 2017, 21:01
Aside from exporting modules, it seems to me that there was a way to convert your saved campaign directly to MoreCore. That one did entail editing a ruleset tag. That was probably what I was remembering.

Imiri
April 27th, 2017, 21:13

Two questions after putting the latest MoreCore.pak in the ruleset folder but not starting up FG just yet.

1) I have a few self-converted RPG rule systems for which I use CoreRPG (latest, vanilla) to open. No modifications to anything except background art. Will I face any torment opening this stuff with MoreCore as ruleset?

2) To be honest I haven't read it all thoroughly so I might be asking a dumb question. Does MoreCore support Star Wars D6's "wild die" mechanic in some way? (I know I can just roll a d6 separately, but since FG's dice can't have different colors *Unity gimme this gimme gimme* it's a bit of a hassle).

3) If I understand what I did read correctly, I can now use MoreCore/FG to simulate the following, am I right?

On your other questions:
There is a possibility to have different colored die (usually a red d6) - look for AGE Stunt Die.ext or Red d6.ext

Try /success 2d10x7 as an expression in Morecore.

damned
April 27th, 2017, 23:20
Finally got around to poking at the code. I don't think this is really worthy of the title extension so I thought I'd throw it up here if anyone likes.

It adds /harp which is always a d100 that explodes on 96+ and notes that it exploded.

Feel free to use and if you run into any issues please get back to me.

Thanks xazil can I have your permission to rework it into morecore for the next release?

damned
April 27th, 2017, 23:25
You don't need to do all that. Since MoreCore is based on CoreRPG, you can open CoreRPG modules directly.

You only need step 1. MoreCore has <acceptfrom ruleset="CoreRPG" /> in the base.xml file, so it can read modules exported from CoreRPG without editing.

Close Andraax!
Rulesets don't import modules for their base rulesets unless specified as mentioned by Trenloe. MoreCore does include the accept from statement.

I would do it differently though if it's a campaign that wolfheart is wanting to test... Make a copy of the campaign and add MC to the folder name. Go in and edit the ruleset tag in the new campaign folder. That way you can test and if ok you can continue to edit and update that campaign content. You will lose CoreRPG comparability once you use any MoreCore features though.

damned
April 27th, 2017, 23:28

1. Answered
2. You can use the d1006 dice too add a red dice to the pool. What is the actual mechanic? If you explain the mechanic in enough detail we can write a roller for it.
3. Yes. Use Imiri's answer.

xazil
April 28th, 2017, 08:32
Thanks xazil can I have your permission to rework it into morecore for the next release?

Of course, no problems at all. I tried to do it in the more up to date fashion, but I did strip out all the extra dice support since its function is explicitly for 1d100 and of course edie and edies fill in other games needs better.

victorsena13
April 30th, 2017, 00:32
is it possible to put two AC? and make if the roll surpass the highest value of the AC i will deal a % of the damage?

EX: I have one AC 14 and another is 16, i roll 16 so i will give X damage + Y% of X

damned
April 30th, 2017, 06:38
Welcome victorsena13
Where do people get all these different dice mechanics from...?
Theres no current roll for that but you could code a roll that does that.

However - MoreCore has no opposed rolls. As it is a generic ruleset it doesnt know how you will use different fields. To do what you want you would need to input the two AC in your dice string. I suspect that would be rather limiting trying to build out all the common AC combinations.

victorsena13
April 30th, 2017, 14:11
My system use this two features XD, its easy to code this?

Ninefingers
April 30th, 2017, 23:29
Could anyone point me in the direction of a Dungeon World ruleset for this? or FG in general?

damned
April 30th, 2017, 23:40
Hi Ninefingers

There is a Dungeon World ruleset in development but for now use MoreCore.
Create rolls with syntax /pbta #d#+# and you can also create modifiers using /mod +#.

You would setup attributes twice - Strength 14 /pbta 2d6+1 and Strength Mod /mod+1
You might hardcode Hack and Slash to use Strength - eg /pbta 2d6+1 so you can roll it as is or you might leave it as /pbta 2d6 and click Strength Mod and then Hack and Slash and it will add the modifier and then roll.
You can Stack modifiers, just keep clicking the appropriate /mod buttons and then the roll button.

Weapons would look like Snaga [forceful messy close] 1d10,

vodokar
April 30th, 2017, 23:41
Not sure if there is an actual MoreCore Theme, but you can certainly play Dungeon World with MoreCore, as that is one of Damned's favorite go-to systems. He ran Dungeon World on MoreCore at FG-Con and it went very smoothly.

Ninefingers
April 30th, 2017, 23:44
Hi Ninefingers

There is a Dungeon World ruleset in development but for now use MoreCore.
Create rolls with syntax /pbta #d#+# and you can also create modifiers using /mod +#.

You would setup attributes twice - Strength 14 /pbta 2d6+1 and Strength Mod /mod+1
You might hardcode Hack and Slash to use Strength - eg /pbta 2d6+1 so you can roll it as is or you might leave it as /pbta 2d6 and click Strength Mod and then Hack and Slash and it will add the modifier and then roll.
You can Stack modifiers, just keep clicking the appropriate /mod buttons and then the roll button.

Weapons would look like Snaga [forceful messy close] 1d10,

Thank you for responding. I'll attempt to figure this out!

damned
May 1st, 2017, 00:00
Here are a couple of sample screens for you...

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18769

and

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18461

kuthulu
May 2nd, 2017, 20:00
I just found out about Dungeon World. Thanks damned for putting in the work on this rule set. Hopefully my group likes DW as much as I do.

alfarobl
May 2nd, 2017, 22:04
Could 2d20 system combat dice be added on next update?

Damage on 2d20 system is always a xd6 roll where dice side 1 is One Success and 2 are Two Successes, then 3 and 4 are ignored, and 5 and 6 are Success + effect. Effect is just to activate some weapon properties.

damned
May 2nd, 2017, 23:44
Could 2d20 system combat dice be added on next update?

Damage on 2d20 system is always a xd6 roll where dice 1 is One Success and 2 are Two Successes, then 3 and 4 are ignored, and 5 and 6 are Success + effect. Effect is just to activate some weapon properties.

More detail please...

vodokar
May 2nd, 2017, 23:44
2d20 system rolls already exist in MoreCore, for Conan, anyways.

damned
May 2nd, 2017, 23:59
2d20 system rolls already exist in MoreCore, for Conan, anyways.

Its the damage die she/he is after. I know someone has posted a more detailed dice overview for the damage but if someone could post it again..

damned
May 3rd, 2017, 00:02
I just found out about Dungeon World. Thanks damned for putting in the work on this rule set. Hopefully my group likes DW as much as I do.

Hi kuthulhu it took me quite a while to understand DW (and Im still learning) but it is a lot of fun in my opinion and doesnt get bogged down with complicated maths/mechanics.

Talyn
May 3rd, 2017, 00:34
I keep trying to read DW and a couple other PbtA books and it's just not clicking. I suspect this might be one of those things I have to experience before I ever "get it."

damned
May 3rd, 2017, 03:01
I keep trying to read DW and a couple other PbtA books and it's just not clicking. I suspect this might be one of those things I have to experience before I ever "get it."

It might be. I pestered a lot of people with PbtA experience to try and understand things both before and after my first couple of sessions. And Im still learning :)

alfarobl
May 3rd, 2017, 07:23
More detail please...

From the quickstart guide:

"For example, Valka, an Aesir warrior, uses her axe to strike an attacking winter wolf. She is successful! Her axe deals 4 Combat Dice damage, so Valka’s player takes four d6s and rolls, getting 4, 1, 2, and 6. The result of 4 is ignored. The results of 1 and 2 are added together for a total of 3 damage. The result of the 6 is an Effect, which adds 1 to the total rolled, and also triggers the axe’s qualities. The axe has the Vicious 1 quality, which inflicts an extra +1 damage. Valka’s final damage total is 5."

Wolfheart
May 4th, 2017, 17:38
I'm sorry I need to be spoonfed but I don't have the time to become a doctor in this stuff (unfortunately, perhaps).
All right, so I am trying to get all my stuff together and so I am building one module using CoreRPG featuring all the rulebooks of my favorite game (it's not a two-hour job so to speak) and another with all my homebrew setting stuff (also using CoreRPG).
The idea is to then open a new campaign file and import those two modules.

Previously I had begun tinkering with a modification of an earlier iteration of CoreRPG but of course that bars me from later updates that improve the ruleset. So I've been bee-busy copying and pasting it all into vanilla CoreRPG..so as to be able to use my stuff throughout updates and revisions.

So do I understand correctly that the campaign file can be MoreCore, and I can import the two CoreRPG modules I made without further hassle (so I can make use of MoreCore's dice rolling alternatives)?

And what if/when the MoreCore campaign file gets filled up with new notes and stuff (setting), should I then make a new module out of it to keep the latest developments .. and if I do, will CoreRPG read correctly a module made from MoreCore?

(Hope I am making myself clear here..I find FG a bit well it's not the most intuitive piece of software I know...but part of my wolfheart is enamored none the less).

I'm asking cause the boys in my RL group want to meet up and play some more online. Oh which brings me to the third question (just in case) - they will also have to download and run MoreCore of course, right?

vodokar
May 4th, 2017, 18:01
The reason to move from CoreRPG to MoreCore is that MoreCore has support for custom dice rolls and other nice features intended as generic support for games which don't have a dedicated ruleset without having to program said dedicated ruleset or do any programming changes to CoreRPG. Once you have moved things over to MoreCore and have utilized the MoreCore features, you can't and won't want to go back. You would lose all the functionality you just gained.

Players can, but don't need to, download a copy of MoreCore in order to join your campaign. This is true of any campaign and any ruleset. When the players connect to the GM host, they download the ruleset that the GM host is running, regardless of what they may have locally installed. A player might not have a copy of the ruleset installed, because they don't have a standard license (min requirement to be able to have GM mode and capability of installing rulesets) or they might have a different copy (more or less up to date than the GM), but when they connect, they will download and run the version of the ruleset the GM is using.

Trenloe
May 4th, 2017, 18:04
So do I understand correctly that the campaign file can be MoreCore, and I can import the two CoreRPG modules I made without further hassle (so I can make use of MoreCore's dice rolling alternatives)?

And what if/when the MoreCore campaign file gets filled up with new notes and stuff (setting), should I then make a new module out of it to keep the latest developments .. and if I do, will CoreRPG read correctly a module made from MoreCore?

Oh which brings me to the third question (just in case) - they will also have to download and run MoreCore of course, right?
In order:
1) Yes.
2) No, not without manually editing your exported module. And then it will only be able to read generic CoreRPG data - not MoreCore specific data.
3) Nope. The players download everything (except portraits) from you - CoreRPG, MoreCore, modules, extensions, etc..

Wolfheart
May 4th, 2017, 18:43
Thanks for the clarification guys :)

xazil
May 5th, 2017, 01:43
This may be more an extension thing (or something that I have missed) but can I ask for a way to allow alternative die rolls to be triggered from the Attack tab on both characters and NPCs?

I know I could make a custom sheet that does a specific one, but with all the extra roll types available in MoreCore I would think it makes sense to be able to call them there as well as the abilities areas.

damned
May 5th, 2017, 07:41
This may be more an extension thing (or something that I have missed) but can I ask for a way to allow alternative die rolls to be triggered from the Attack tab on both characters and NPCs?

I know I could make a custom sheet that does a specific one, but with all the extra roll types available in MoreCore I would think it makes sense to be able to call them there as well as the abilities areas.

Hi xazil - I have debated this one for some time. My feeling is that the Attacks section is largely redundant now. Its there and it works but you get better options from Rolls. Rolls for NPCs already load to the CT so they have full functionality there. It is not a small job to do what you are suggesting and I really think the net benefit is marginal. So... I have to decline - sorry.

xazil
May 5th, 2017, 07:46
No problems at all Damned. :)

Anisplan
May 5th, 2017, 11:32
I just joined FG community and it's great to see my favorite RPG system ruleset (Dungeon World) already in development. I was thinking about creating something myself. :)
Any ETA of the DW Ruleset? :)

damned
May 5th, 2017, 12:59
we are finishing off some Call of Cthulhu stuff before getting back into it.
id love to give you a date... but these things take time...

and welcome - Anisplan.

Anisplan
May 5th, 2017, 14:21
Thank you for the answer and your warm welcome! :)

I was looking hard for some platform I can use to create/share my stories online with others (not just as PDFs, you know).
And FG seems to be nice at first glance. For now I am trying to put my first adventure into it.

damned
May 5th, 2017, 14:25
It is a great product and does have some very cool features.
There are plenty of people here to share ideas with and bounce things around.
I hope you enjoy yourself and stick around :)

Wookiee420
May 9th, 2017, 20:56
@damned I apologize if i am asking this twice, its a lot of pages to skim. once something is made in MoreCore, is it (for lack of better words) "legit to sell with permission?" i am wanting to do play settings from a certain company, and i feel like my skill level plus MoreCore would produce a better product than just a standard ruleset. of course i wouldnt try to sell it till all parties talk, but its only worth me getting the ball rolling to do that if MoreCore can do that. (if that makes sense)

vodokar
May 9th, 2017, 23:43
I can answer that, Wookiee420. Smiteworks current official policy is that they do not sell modules or materials in the fG store that are not for "official" rulesets. As MoreCore is a community ruleset and not an "official" ruleset, you would not be able to sell anything thru the FG store. That doesn't stop you from selling it elsewhere, such as RPG Now or Drive Thru RPG or thru the IP owners own website if you worked a deal with them.

Wookiee420
May 10th, 2017, 04:13
so that doesnt step on anyones toes and is ok? Smite is ok with people selling products for FG without them involved? thats really cool of them, thank you for the response!!

damned
May 10th, 2017, 04:17
You do need to pay SW a %.
I think if you do it thru DTRPG/RPGNOW/OBS they will take a cut for SW automajocally?

Wookiee420
May 10th, 2017, 04:21
well thats even better, i like magic :)

LordEntrails
May 12th, 2017, 13:19
Thank you for the answer and your warm welcome! :)

I was looking hard for some platform I can use to create/share my stories online with others (not just as PDFs, you know).
And FG seems to be nice at first glance. For now I am trying to put my first adventure into it.
I suggest you take a look at this (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33538-Adventure-Module-Creation-Best-Practices).

Anisplan
May 15th, 2017, 13:08
Sure! Thank you for sharing!

chadhill
May 15th, 2017, 17:46
The reason to move from CoreRPG to MoreCore is that MoreCore has support for custom dice rolls and other nice features intended as generic support for games which don't have a dedicated ruleset without having to program said dedicated ruleset or do any programming changes to CoreRPG. Once you have moved things over to MoreCore and have utilized the MoreCore features, you can't and won't want to go back. You would lose all the functionality you just gained.

Players can, but don't need to, download a copy of MoreCore in order to join your campaign. This is true of any campaign and any ruleset. When the players connect to the GM host, they download the ruleset that the GM host is running, regardless of what they may have locally installed. A player might not have a copy of the ruleset installed, because they don't have a standard license (min requirement to be able to have GM mode and capability of installing rulesets) or they might have a different copy (more or less up to date than the GM), but when they connect, they will download and run the version of the ruleset the GM is using.

I have done this with some VERY EXPANSIVE modules, from CoreRPG to MoreCore. It is VERY MUCH worth it to stay in MoreCore.

timdog88
May 17th, 2017, 03:35
So I was interested in trying out shadow of the demon lord on more core. Can someone explain exactly how I would use the boon and bane rolls? For instance, if I wanted to roll a d20+2 stealth check with 2 banes, how would I make that happen?

Martin153
May 18th, 2017, 20:41
I am hoping some kind soul can help me. I am trying to get a basic Traveller 2nd Ed sheet working.

Nearly everything is target number (+ or - bonus) and a Bane/Boon system has now been added to drop lowest highest... So I am looking for a dice string that rolls 3d6 (applies + or - modifier) then (drops or lowest or highest d6). Is this possible...? Sorry I am about as skilled with coding as a half orc with a headache.

Or has anyone created a character sheet in MoreCore for Traveller that would be willing to help me?

kevdog45
May 18th, 2017, 20:56
So if I were to say create my own little rpg system that I played with friends would MoreCore be flexible enough for me to play the system within it? For example, a gladiatorial combat RPG with highly detailed hit charts that describe what each hit does. Could I do something like that?

Andraax
May 18th, 2017, 21:14
So I am looking for a dice string that rolls 3d6 (applies + or - modifier) then (drops or lowest or highest d6). Is this possible...?

Drop lowest: /rolld 3d6x1

vodokar
May 18th, 2017, 21:42
So if I were to say create my own little rpg system that I played with friends would MoreCore be flexible enough for me to play the system within it? For example, a gladiatorial combat RPG with highly detailed hit charts that describe what each hit does. Could I do something like that?

Something like that is certainly possible. MoreCore is already an extremely flexible ruleset. It might not be possible without a little bit of custom programming though, depending on what you are trying to do. If you are very detailed on what you need, perhaps Damned might be able to work it in his schedule, but no promises there. He only has so much time to devote and so normally has to prioritize based on his assessment on how much something will get used.

vodokar
May 18th, 2017, 21:45
I am hoping some kind soul can help me. I am trying to get a basic Traveller 2nd Ed sheet working.

Nearly everything is target number (+ or - bonus) and a Bane/Boon system has now been added to drop lowest highest... So I am looking for a dice string that rolls 3d6 (applies + or - modifier) then (drops or lowest or highest d6). Is this possible...? Sorry I am about as skilled with coding as a half orc with a headache.

Or has anyone created a character sheet in MoreCore for Traveller that would be willing to help me?

I've have become quite familiar with working on MoreCore extensions recently. I also have an interest in Traveler 2nd ed. This might be something I could work on in the future. Right now, I am finishing up on the Champions MoreCore extension and some new changes for the AD&D ruleset. Then, I am going on vacation in June. Perhaps I can work on this late June or after.

Martin153
May 18th, 2017, 22:49
Hi Damned. Is this a traveller mod for morecore? Where can I find the code to power these rolls. They look great by the way...

Martin153
May 18th, 2017, 22:56
I would be happy to help with this....

Trenloe
May 18th, 2017, 23:24
As a reminder to everyone. MoreCore is designed to have as many types of rolls within it's ruleset as possible, and a character sheet where you can setup those rolls. It is not a case of damned providing "a mod for XYZ RPG system" and you're ready to go with everything setup. MoreCore is designed to give you the tools to create your own action rolls within a character sheet to allow you to do most of the rolling you might need. Different types of dice rolling are being added all the time - but it's not being modified specifically for a RPG system. That would be up to a community member to take it a step further - with an extension or a layered ruleset. Like what vodokar is doing with Champions, and what Shotgun Jolly did for Conan: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36019-Conan-Extension-V-3-1 (These are just two examples of community members developing on top of MoreCore for a specific ruleset).

Martin153
May 19th, 2017, 07:49
Whilst we appreciate the work Damned puts into the ruleset the problem for me is ..well this is page 41 of this thread. The answer I need may well be in here somewhere.. I think the organization of the thread could be better to avoid repeat questions....

Andraax
May 19th, 2017, 13:49
Whilst we appreciate the work Damned puts into the ruleset the problem for me is ..well this is page 41 of this thread. The answer I need may well be in here somewhere.. I think the organization of the thread could be better to avoid repeat questions....

Or you could use the search feature to find any actually relevant posts....

Martin153
May 19th, 2017, 14:12
Or you could use the search feature to find any actually relevant posts....

Thanks for this... That post may just push the thread to page 42. A quick search on Traveller gives me another 75 posts to look though...

On page 20 of this thread Damned has posted the result I am looking for. A fantastic piece of work. Unfortunately, it doesn't tell me how he did it.

Martin

OTG_Wraith
May 19th, 2017, 15:23
Thanks for this... That post may just push the thread to page 42. A quick search on Traveller gives me another 75 posts to look though...

On page 20 of this thread Damned has posted the result I am looking for. A fantastic piece of work. Unfortunately, it doesn't tell me how he did it.

Martin

The code is in the next post.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36231-Traveller-Dice-Help&p=316068&viewfull=1#post316068

Martin153
May 19th, 2017, 15:59
I am not overly bothered about the d66. it was how Damned achieved this...I cant see that anywhere!

OTG_Wraith
May 19th, 2017, 16:06
I am not overly bothered about the d66. it was how Damned achieved this...I cant see that anywhere!

Define "This".

Martin153
May 19th, 2017, 16:31
The roll mechanics to achieve the result in the .jpg

Navigation (2d6+1) = +1 for the skill. (How does the roller know it's Navigation +1)
[Education +1] +1 for the Characteristic (How does the roller know the Characteristic modifier)
[Success] Not sure where the example gets the target number from. (How does the roller know it know is a success)?

How easy is it to implement Boon/Bane to this?

Yes I could just run a game on the 'other' RPG interface that shall remain nameless as the intelligent character sheet has macro's built into it.

But I want to stay loyal to FG

Martin

Andraax
May 19th, 2017, 16:36

Kinda like this (target is always 8):

/mod 1 Education
/trav 2d6+1 Navigation

Trenloe
May 19th, 2017, 16:43
Up-to-date dice string info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34860-MoreCore-Ruleset&p=334355&viewfull=1#post334355

Andraax
May 19th, 2017, 16:43
Incidentally, the mechanics are described here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34860-MoreCore-Ruleset&p=316167&viewfull=1#post316167

Martin153
May 19th, 2017, 16:56
Ok thank guys. I am nearly there just one final question.

/mod 1 Education
/trav 2d6+1 Navigation

How do I nest these together.....I can see they work if entered separately ..

I am not sure what version of Traveller you are using but the target in Mongoose 2nd Ed can change..

vodokar
May 19th, 2017, 20:06
You don't nest them together. The way the script is currently designed, you have the primary skill that you use. It can take more than one mod from complimentary inputs, which are clicked on prior to making the roll. The mod step and the skill roll step are separate in order to give maximum flexibility. So, let's say that both Intellect and Education gave you a mod to the Navigation Skill. You click on one and then the other, then make your roll.

That is a completely separate thing from whether you use a Target Number of 8 or if the TN is variable. /mod is not changing the Target Number. /mod adds or subtracts from the number rolled. If you need a variable target number, I'm not sure if that is currently implemented for that specific traveller skill roll script. It can certainly be made to do so. I already told you I would put it on my list to work on. If you can't wait till I have the time to work on it, then you won't have much choice but to roll up your sleeves and do it for yourself. I'm not saying to do that, I'm just saying that there are only a few of us community developers and no matter how much we might want to help, there is only so much free time. However, if your patient, I can make it work like you need and likely go much further than that.

Andraax
May 19th, 2017, 20:50
I am not sure what version of Traveller you are using but the target in Mongoose 2nd Ed can change..

Classic Traveller and Mongoose Traveller v1 use this mechanic. And while I have yet to GM Mongoose V2, I'd like to know when. This is what my Mongoose Trav v2 book says (pg 56):

MAKING CHECKS
To make a check, the Traveller rolls 2D and includes any appropriate Dice Modifers (DM). If the total is 8 or more, the Traveller succeeds.

Edit: found a section with adjustments for task difficulty. This is simple to implement with modifiers:

/mod 6 Simple
/mod 4 Easy
/mod 2 Routine
/mod -2 Difficult
/mod -4 Very Difficult
/mod -6 Formidable

Andraax
May 19th, 2017, 21:22
Here's an example:

vodokar
May 19th, 2017, 21:52
That is a good suggestion as a work-around for right now. Ultimately, I will be able to make the adjustment in the script to make it actually mod the target number instead of modding the dice roll. But, until then, that would be the way to go. The Champions skill roll already does this. It uses the modifier stack to modify the target number vice altering the die roll.

Andraax
May 19th, 2017, 22:30
That is a good suggestion as a work-around for right now. Ultimately, I will be able to make the adjustment in the script to make it actually mod the target number instead of modding the dice roll. But, until then, that would be the way to go. The Champions skill roll already does this. It uses the modifier stack to modify the target number vice altering the die roll.

Extra code to achieve a result that is mathematically identical? I don't see the worth...

vodokar
May 19th, 2017, 23:36
If that were the only thing I were going to do, perhaps. I'm sure there are other things that I will likely do for the extension. At any rate, I don't need to be told how I should spend my own free time. These small things do matter. The games should play the way people expect the games to play, not a different way even if it is mathematically equivalent. Let's see how many D&D 5e people out there would be happy if instead of the 5e ruleset using d20 + # = TN, that it used d20 = TN - #. It's mathematically equivalent. But, it isn't the way the game is played. The player expects to see his bonuses added to his die roll. He doesn't expect to just roll a d20 and have his bonuses subtracted out from the target number in the background where he can't see what is happening. These tiny details matter. The feel of a game is tied to the fun experienced with it.

Andraax
May 20th, 2017, 00:13
I'm talking about computer time.

vodokar
May 20th, 2017, 00:24
I know. And the time it would take to run a couple of extra lines of code it would take to do the job right is so infinitesimally small that it can't be measured. What is being asked for is just a very minor tweak in the existing script. Now, adding code to customize the character sheet for traveller and add other things to support the game isn't as non-trivial, but will be worth it in the end, both my time and computer timewise. That's a matter of opinion, but I'm sure I'm not the only person that thinks it is worth it.

Andraax
May 20th, 2017, 00:58
I've got a little story. There was a guy who used to work at the company I'm working for now. He was rather well known for writing lots of code - *lots* of code. A small example cropped up a few months ago. Some of the code he wrote would occasionally fall over and generate errors, and I was asked to fix the problem (mostly because a couple other people couldn't even understand the code to start with). So, I'm looking at this 150 line recursive function that he had written, took me about 20 minutes to figure out what it was doing. It was mostly ok, but because of the complexity, there were multiple places where it could get lost and cause problems, and with daily print runs of 50,000-100,000 documents these errors would crop up every few days. Usually a rerun would work without problems, but that cost time (both processing and operator) and could jeopardize SLAs. I replaced his 150 line recursive function with a 6 line loop that was easy to read and has not failed once since it went in. Complexity in software for the sake of complexity is not a virtue.

Adding variable targets does not seem to "buy" anything. When making a roll, you will still need to select the target level, select modifier(s), and then make the roll. In my example, that's exactly what is being done - except that the target level is applied as a modifier, which you're "buying" with no extra code. Mathematically, there is no difference - you either succeed or not, and the "effect" number (your resulting level of success or failure) is identical in either case. Can you explain what difference there is between my example and your "do[ing] the job right"? I see "doing the job right" as "correctly determining if the player succeeds and correctly determining the 'effect' number" - what is wrong with that viewpoint?

Simplicity is the soul of efficiency. - Austin Freeman
One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code. - Ken Thompson
The key to performance is elegance, not battalions of special cases. - Jon Bentley and Doug McIlroy
Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but rather when there is nothing more to take away. - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

vodokar
May 20th, 2017, 02:23
These are games we are talking about, not a business program. Efficiency must take a backseat to pleasing the player. Players expect to see certain things in the way their games play, especially when you are talking about old classic games; or new editions to them that are simply slight polishing of the old system. You aren't wrong from a professional business coder standpoint, Andraax. In business, time is money. Time spent fixing code that is convoluted and doesn't work is money. Time just trying to read someone else's code is money. This is not my business. It is my hobby. I enjoy working on things. I enjoy seeing other people gain pleasure from them. That is what is important to me. I will spend my time trying to make things that I believe will please people in this community. If they don't work as intended or expected, I will fix them. If they don't please people, I will do my best to give what does. If using 10 lines of code gives them something tangible that 2 lines of code does not, then that is what I will do. In this case, the tangible part is the feel of the game itself; it may be mathematically equivalent to do it another way, but the feel of the game changes by doing so. That is something that simply can not be quantified. It is not up to you to decide what other people might want in their game experience; especially in this instance, where we are talking about a potential extension that can be turned on or off by the user. That is for them to decide.

Let's take this to the other extreme here. Everyone, you already have built in 3d dice. Just roll them and do the math yourself. There, we just saved a few lines of code in the name of efficiency. No need for specialized rolls. No need for specialized character sheets or specialized tools. A new decal for the game you want to play; sorry takes lines of code and resources. No need to decorate in any way either. That would be inefficient. Every rpg game in existence can be played by simply using core or morecore without wasting our time on customizing for anything. That would be inefficient. Better yet, just write everything down on real paper and use real dice. No need for any of this. All in the name of efficiency, you know. The developers efficiency; not the users. That's what's important, right?

Andraax
May 20th, 2017, 04:36
Please explain to me why "success, effect = X" or "failure, effect = X" - the desired end result - is somehow "better" when you adjust the target number rather the modifier if the answer is the same? I mean, you're talking about applying a difference to one side, while I'm applying the same difference to the other - we end up with the exact same result. Why does adding extra code make *your* result somehow "better" than mine?

If the rules say to count digits in a result, you would write a loop to count digits. I would use a base 10 log to get the number of digits in one operation. And you would say my result is wrong, because I didn't count the actual digits like the rules say? Even if we get the same result?

It's the *result* that is important, not the steps used to get it. If I can get the same result, using the same number of steps by the user, with less code - why is my solution "wrong"?

(And, BTW, that's exactly like how I get results in Traveller anyway. I apply the difficulty as a DR modifier - always have. It was stated that way in earlier rules, it's just been reworded by Mongoose for this latest version. The end result, however, remains the same.)

Andraax
May 20th, 2017, 05:13
And really, if you want to spend your time with working on code to use MoreCore with Mongoose Traveller, the big hits needed are support for 3 different wound tracks (Str, Dex, and End) and the ability to apply Banes and Boons to the roll. Next would be the ability to take the result of the /trav roll and drop it on the modifier box to add the calculated "effect" as a modifier to the next roll. Those are what is *really* missing. There is no good way to apply those right now.

Personally, I'm waiting for the official Mongoose ruleset. I'm sure it'll be out RSN. :-)
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27508-Traveller-(Mongoose-Publications-version)

vodokar
May 20th, 2017, 06:57
The difference is in what the user sees. It makes no difference how you do the calculation behind the scenes, but what they see reported in chat should mach what they were expecting to see. i.e. in the case of D&D, you expect to see d20 + # = TN. Anyone who has ever played D&D would instantly understand that reported data to them at a glance without having to think about it, because it matches what they are expecting. If you did it the other way (d20 = TN - #), whether the math comes out right or not, it presents a result to them in a form that doesn't match their expectation. What happened to my strength bonus? etc. Thus, their attention is drawn away from the important parts of the game to focus on the mechanics part of it. Look, we are never going to agree. It doesn't matter. If you think your way is better, then make the extension yourself. But, if I do it, I will do it the way it makes sense to me to do it, which is to try to match the way people would normally expect it to behave. When it comes to programming, I am sure I could learn a lot from you, but I've been playing games of all types for a very long time, and I have some sense for what people find fun and what they don't in these games. I simply try to alleviate some of the mathiness and tedium of the book keeping and such so they can have a better time of it. Part of that is in the presentation. The little things do matter. But, everyone has their own opinions on these things. You can never please all of the people all of the time.

Martin153
May 20th, 2017, 08:51
At the end of the day what is most important to my players is the story, setting and having fun. If we have no logic built into anything and just some d6's to roll we could still run the game and have a great time. Sometimes people get bogged down in how things are displayed on the screen and automation.

I think FG is far superior to all other table-top simulators, and I appreciate every second of time community developers put into trying to satisfy the whims of every system and every DM. I will be running a Traveller campaign using the MoreCore ruleset as it is.

I have added a roll for every skill that can be changed during creation and during play (/die 2d6+characteristic modifier+skill). It will take me a second to work out if it succeeded. I can ask the players to distribute damage in combat over the 3 characteristics. I can put together a character sheet for a spacecraft. I can add rollable tables. I can tell players the target number! I can click on modifier box and quickly add modifiers. A few seconds working out success/failure will make no difference to running the game. Automation is nice to have, but in no means essential.

I think we are spoiled by the likes 5e, SW, PF, Cthulhu etc

Andraax
May 20th, 2017, 12:08
The difference is in what the user sees. It makes no difference how you do the calculation behind the scenes, but what they see reported in chat should mach what they were expecting to see. i.e. in the case of D&D, you expect to see d20 + # = TN.

All the user sees is that it's a success or failure, and the degree of that success or failure (the "effect"). So, how is their expectation not being met? And in my example using existing code, the result clearly shows that they're getting +1 from the skill, +1 from their character's Education stat, and that it's a "routine" check. I don't see how their "expectations" are not being met, just because I checked a modified DR against a target of 8 instead of checking a DR against a modified target of 6.

In my example, the GM says something like "Give me a routine Navigation check using Education." The user clicks "Routine", then clicks "Education", then clicks "Navigation", and the result is correct. I don't see how it's somehow "incorrect" just because - behind the scenes - the target number was not adjusted, rather the DR was modified.

Zacchaeus
May 20th, 2017, 12:52
I think possibly you should both agree to disagree since the conversation isn't really going anywhere.

Wolfheart
May 20th, 2017, 13:34
These are games we are talking about, not a business program. Efficiency must take a backseat to pleasing the player. Players expect to see certain things in the way their games play, especially when you are talking about old classic games; or new editions to them that are simply slight polishing of the old system. You aren't wrong from a professional business coder standpoint, Andraax. In business, time is money. Time spent fixing code that is convoluted and doesn't work is money. Time just trying to read someone else's code is money. This is not my business. It is my hobby. I enjoy working on things. I enjoy seeing other people gain pleasure from them. That is what is important to me. I will spend my time trying to make things that I believe will please people in this community. If they don't work as intended or expected, I will fix them. If they don't please people, I will do my best to give what does. If using 10 lines of code gives them something tangible that 2 lines of code does not, then that is what I will do. In this case, the tangible part is the feel of the game itself; it may be mathematically equivalent to do it another way, but the feel of the game changes by doing so. That is something that simply can not be quantified. It is not up to you to decide what other people might want in their game experience; especially in this instance, where we are talking about a potential extension that can be turned on or off by the user. That is for them to decide.

Let's take this to the other extreme here. Everyone, you already have built in 3d dice. Just roll them and do the math yourself. There, we just saved a few lines of code in the name of efficiency. No need for specialized rolls. No need for specialized character sheets or specialized tools. A new decal for the game you want to play; sorry takes lines of code and resources. No need to decorate in any way either. That would be inefficient. Every rpg game in existence can be played by simply using core or morecore without wasting our time on customizing for anything. That would be inefficient. Better yet, just write everything down on real paper and use real dice. No need for any of this. All in the name of efficiency, you know. The developers efficiency; not the users. That's what's important, right?

Sure, but then they really need to do something about the way those dice "melt" off the table before I've counted them all (try being a Jedi in WEG's Star Wars for example).

Also, why can't we roll dice all over the tabletop. It's so weird that it is confined to a small area of the screen

Andraax
May 20th, 2017, 13:44
Also, why can't we roll dice all over the tabletop. It's so weird that it is confined to a small area of the screen

You can. I use this as a GM all the time - I can roll dice on the desktop and they don't show the "shadow" in the chat box to the players.

Wolfheart
May 20th, 2017, 13:53
You can. I use this as a GM all the time - I can roll dice on the desktop and they don't show the "shadow" in the chat box to the players.

Really? When I roll them elsewhere I get no results recorded or anything. Is there some setting I have to turn on?

Andraax
May 20th, 2017, 13:58
Really? When I roll them elsewhere I get no results recorded or anything. Is there some setting I have to turn on?

You get no results recorded. It's totally invisible to others. You just have to look at the numbers on the top of the dice.

vodokar
May 20th, 2017, 16:33
Sure, but then they really need to do something about the way those dice "melt" off the table before I've counted them all (try being a Jedi in WEG's Star Wars for example).

I wasn't being serious. That was hyperbole or satire or whatever they call it. Not an english major. At any rate. Andraax and I seem to always see things from opposite sides of the coin, for whatever reason. I was simply trying to argue that presentation and user interface and the subtleties of how a game makes you feel during play are equally important considerations as much as the internal logic and math of the programming. Not something we will ever agree upon. Probably I see things the way I do because I approach things from being a gamer who learned how to program rather than a professional programmer who games. I started gaming in 1973 with Avalon Hill War Games and then 1977 with D&D, so I have a different perspective. There are many ways to do things. Andraax isn't wrong. But, I still contend that the small things matter. I don't make decisions on what should or shouldn't be in a program based on efficiency. I decide that based on what I believe will make the user have an easier and better experience. That is because games are important to me and the gaming experience is important to me.

If I were making a car for someone and someone wanted it painted red, because that makes them feel good, I wouldn't argue that it already had black paint and it would be inefficient to paint it a different color and they don't really need it to be a different color because it is mathematically equivalent in protecting it from the environment. The color of it is an intangible quality of the car that has a tangible meaning to the person.

At any rate, that is all I have to say about the subject. It's accomplishing nothing arguing about it.

Andraax
May 20th, 2017, 16:54
If I were making a car for someone and someone wanted it painted red, because that makes them feel good, I wouldn't argue that it already had black paint and it would be inefficient to paint it a different color and they don't really need it to be a different color because it is mathematically equivalent in protecting it from the environment. The color of it is an intangible quality of the car that has a tangible meaning to the person.

Of course, since the target number is not even displayed, a more accurate comparison would be that you're saying the gears inside the transmission must be painted red, and I'm saying it doesn't matter that they're black, because you can't see them.

Trenloe
May 20th, 2017, 17:00
OK, guys. I think you've derailed this thread way too much already. Take it to another thread or just leave it please.

Michael Hopcroft
May 20th, 2017, 20:27
If I may make an observation that is hopefully on-topic but outside the flow of the thread, one of my great regrets is my inability to code. It means that while I may want to see a certain game done, I have to hope someone else is interested rather than going in and doing the job myself. Which I would love to be able to do.

I can't very well demand someone adapt a game they might hate. And I don't feel it appropriate to complain that certain game is missing when I don't have the coding chops to do something about it myself.

Arion
May 24th, 2017, 20:46
Okay, here is a question. I am playing around with the SotDL theme and it is superb. I have hotkeyed 1, 2 and 3 boons and banes and they apply to the modifier stack. But that does not clear after the next roll. I know what will happen when we play the game. A player will add a boon and make their roll. Next round they roll another boon, and it will add both to the next dice roll and so on.
I cannot find an option that will clear the stack after a roll.

and, just testing this with a local client, it does not allow boons and banes. I can roll them in the GM window, but not the client. Strange.

EDIT:
In the client i cannot roll boons and banes by typing in the chat window or dragging to a hotkey. But i can if i add them to the character sheet
In the GM window it does not clear the modifier stack, but it does in the client!

Andraax
May 24th, 2017, 23:22
In the GM window it does not clear the modifier stack, but it does in the client!

Until this bug is corrected, you can remove it by clicking the little button beneath the modifier.

Arion
May 26th, 2017, 09:27
Until this bug is corrected, you can remove it by clicking the little button beneath the modifier.

Yep. It is not too bad that way round as i will remember to clear it, but if it was the player stack not clearing, that would be an issue!

Andraax
May 26th, 2017, 14:43
Yep. It is not too bad that way round as i will remember to clear it, but if it was the player stack not clearing, that would be an issue!

Players can be trained.

Arion
May 31st, 2017, 09:34
Players can be trained.

I wish!!

chadhill
May 31st, 2017, 16:45
I just tried to add "Skill Checks" to my character sheet, but the " /rollunder #d#x#" command returns this error-- Script Error: [string"desktop/scripts/morecore_damned_rollunder.l..."]:68: attemp to compare number to nil --

Trenloe
May 31st, 2017, 16:59
I just tried to add "Skill Checks" to my character sheet, but the " /rollunder #d#x#" command returns this error-- Script Error: [string"desktop/scripts/morecore_damned_rollunder.l..."]:68: attemp to compare number to nil --
What was the chat command you used?

chadhill
May 31st, 2017, 18:56
What was the chat command you used?

/rollunder #d#x# I am using MoreCore Ruleset v.1.39

Trenloe
May 31st, 2017, 19:25
/rollunder #d#x#
You need to put actual numbers in that command. If you were, please provide the actual chat command you're using that gives the error.

chadhill
May 31st, 2017, 19:38
You need to put actual numbers in that command. If you were, please provide the actual chat command you're using that gives the error.

It gives that same error regardless of the numbers I put in, first I tried /rollunder 1d20x15, then /rollunder 2d6x3, then /rollunder 6d10x7, all gave the same error.

Trenloe
May 31st, 2017, 19:48
It gives that same error regardless of the numbers I put in, first I tried /rollunder 1d20x15, then /rollunder 2d6x3, then /rollunder 6d10x7, all gave the same error.
Yeah, looking at the code it hasn't been finished - there's modifier code in there that is incomplete and breaking the roll.

chadhill
May 31st, 2017, 20:33
Yeah, looking at the code it hasn't been finished - there's modifier code in there that is incomplete and breaking the roll.

What does that mean? Is that a relatively simple fix? or should I just scrap the skill checks?

vodokar
May 31st, 2017, 20:40
It is likely a simple fix, however, since Damned has been away for a couple of weeks, I suspect on vacation or somesuch, it will have to wait for him to get back. It would not be proper protocol or manners for anyone to go mucking into someone else's project code while they are away. Do not worry. MoreCore is Damned's baby. He will attend to it as soon as he can, I am sure.

chadhill
May 31st, 2017, 20:45
It is likely a simple fix, however, since Damned has been away for a couple of weeks, I suspect on vacation or somesuch, it will have to wait for him to get back. It would not be proper protocol or manners for anyone to go mucking into someone else's project code while they are away. Do not worry. MoreCore is Damned's baby. He will attend to it as soon as he can, I am sure.

Thanks, I couldn't if I wanted to, lol

vodokar
June 1st, 2017, 00:09
Right. I actually meant that I could probably fix it, because I have quite a bit of experience working in the MoreCore code, but, out of respect for Damned, I would not be doing so. There is an unspoken protocol of respect here between the community developers that we don't work on each others projects unless asked. So, that is the situation. It will most assuredly get fixed in the future, but for now, we will have to be patient.

chadhill
June 1st, 2017, 00:16
Right. I actually meant that I could probably fix it, because I have quite a bit of experience working in the MoreCore code, but, out of respect for Damned, I would not be doing so. There is an unspoken protocol of respect here between the community developers that we don't work on each others projects unless asked. So, that is the situation. It will most assuredly get fixed in the future, but for now, we will have to be patient.

No problem, I was just wondering if I should continue putting that string in my skills or switch it now before I get too far. Thank you for the info, and for the respect, ethical codes are few and far between!

Wookiee420
June 1st, 2017, 00:30
This is why i love this community, everyone is willing to not only help each other out, but also has respect and ethics

kuthulu
June 19th, 2017, 19:41
Has anyone done the base character sheets for Dungeon World using MoreCore? It looks like DW has an open license so it might be something we could post so DMs/Players could just import into a game.

vodokar
June 19th, 2017, 21:48
One of Damned's favorite games is Dungeon World. He has used MoreCore to run it several times. In fact, you might say that he laid out the existing MoreCore character sheet to easily accommodate the playstyle of Dungeon World and other PBTA games. If you need any guidance, I would recommend searching for his screenshots from last FGCon to give you a good idea on how to lay things out on the character sheet. Rolls are already available to support Dungeon World.

kuthulu
June 26th, 2017, 23:51
Vodokar, thx for the reply. I totally passed over the FGCON screenshots. Now that I looked at them I have the basic moves and abilities setup.

I'm guessing for ongoing bonuses or debilities we should be using effects? Does anyone have a screenshot of their effects setup for Dungeon World?

kuthulu
June 27th, 2017, 16:08
I am setting up some NPC's. I just want to make sure I am doing this right for Dungeon World. I'm not sure about SIZE and REACH. Below is an example for Ankheg. I have the full info on the notes tab.

I'd love to setup a bunch of the NPC's in a table to get some random encounters.

Trenloe
June 27th, 2017, 16:15
I am setting up some NPC's. I just want to make sure I am doing this right for Dungeon World. I'm not sure about SIZE and REACH.
Both refer to a number of squares on the map.

Size is used to auto size the token when added to the map from the CT (if auto size is enabled in the campaign options).
Reach is used to show the reach of the creature when you hover over the token on the map.

There's no further automation beyond that, and won't do anything at all if there is no grid on the map.

For example:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19573

kuthulu
June 27th, 2017, 16:30
I see what you mean Trenloe. So for a large creature with reach I set Size = 2 and Reach =2 and I get the results I expected. Thanks!

kuthulu
June 30th, 2017, 18:11
I am in the process of setting up a small module for a Dungeon World one-shot (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/137449/In-the-Hallways-of-Thime). I have all the STORY elements setup with a map along with a couple of random tables. I've setup some of the NPC's mentioned in the adventure but I'm not sure where the best place is to put the ATTACK/DMG ROLLS. If I put the ATTACK roll under the ROLLS section I can use /pbta dice roller to get the success message back. If I add it to the ATTACK section of the NPC form I don't. Is there any way to get the /pbta functionality when using the NPC ATTACKS field? I just want to be consistent with the NPC's I am loading since I am probably going to load a bunch of them.

In the image below I have the ATK and DMG rolls loaded in both the ATTACK field and the ROLL fields for testing. I'm just trying to determine a best practice.

edit: Also, is there a way to do a best of 2d6 roll for DW? b(2d6)? Example:
Apocalypse Dragon
Solitary, Huge, Magical, Divine
Bite (b[2d12]+9 damage, 4 piercing); 26 HP; 5 Armor

vodokar
June 30th, 2017, 18:35
Attacks field doesn't have functionality. Damned was asked about this before and he stated that it didn't make sense to put development time into giving it functionality since it would simply duplicate the functionality already present in the Rolls section. The intention for the attack field is to put notes information on special attacks and such, rather than having anything that is tied to a roll.

Not currently a "roll 2d6 two times and choose the best roll of the two" Roll, that I'm aware of, but sounds like one that could likely be added relatively simply.

The real issue is "where is Damned?" I'm beginning to get worried about him. Last time I heard from him was April 29 in an email. Seems to have dropped off the face of the earth. Really hope nothing happened to him, because he is a good friend.

kuthulu
June 30th, 2017, 20:32
Ok, I see what you're saying. So instead of an NPC sheet like this:
It should look like this:

And the Best of damage I will just annotate in the damage roll as Bite(b2) 1d12+9. So when I roll I will know to take the best of 1d12+9 rolled twice.

Thx for the input Vodokar!

vodokar
July 1st, 2017, 00:46
Precisely. Basically, the "Attack Field" was a holdover from CoreRPG that wasn't removed (it doesn't have any functionality there either, but serves as a framework for rulesets built upon CoreRPG that added functionality to it). In MoreCore, it can either be left blank, or be used to add extra information for attacks, like you did, whereas, the actual functionality that parses the roll and rolls the dice is all in the "Rolls" field. Damned did it that way in order to maintain consistency with how the character sheet works in MoreCore and also because the Rolls field has drag and drop functionality of Rolls from the Rolls Library.

kuthulu
July 1st, 2017, 01:18
Awesome. Hey thanks again for the clarification. I'm adding all the Dungeon World monsters and I wanted to get a standard.

Jay_NOLA
July 5th, 2017, 19:07
Was wondering if this could be added or done:

could this be added in a future version for dice rolling options:

1.) Nexus/Feng Shui dice rolling. These games use similar system as the Feng Shui RPG is derived of Nexus. The basic task resolution in these games uses a roll of 1d6-1d6 with a roll of 6 making the 1d6 rolled again and added to the result of the 6 rolled this will continue if a 6 is rolled again and again.. (exploding dice). If a 6 is rolled on both the positive and negative dice at the same time (double sizes) something unusual will happen with the action (Feng Shui adds this).

2.) Coin toss - for the Prince Valiant RPG. The system uses coins tosses for resolution. The number of coins tossed varries an succes/failure is derimed by having a certain number of heads resaults depending on the difficulty or against an opposing characters.

Baufrin
July 18th, 2017, 02:50
Was wondering if this could be added or done:
2.) Coin toss - for the Prince Valiant RPG. The system uses coins tosses for resolution. The number of coins tossed varries an succes/failure is derimed by having a certain number of heads resaults depending on the difficulty or against an opposing characters.

You could use a d2 as a coin flip 1 head 2 tails or visa-versa. On the fudge Die if you right click on it you will see a circle with a pentagon,square and triangle click on it. From there select your d2.

Wookiee420
July 25th, 2017, 06:24
hey, i was wondering if someone could help me with the character sheet, i am trying to make a Mutant Year Zero extension and for the life of me i cannot find where it calls the Combat section with Hit Points and all that so i can change the words and stuff i will attach a picture of the character sheet for an idea of what i am going for....side note: i recently did a relatively in depth extension for The Sixth Gun for Savage Worlds, so i do understand the basics, i just cannot figure this part out. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated

EDIT: I was looking at it all, and really the Character Sheet is the biggest part that is stumping me, if anyone could just help me with the entire sheet, I would be in your debt forever!! I will even save a seat in the campaign for you :)

LordEntrails
July 25th, 2017, 15:28
@Wookie420,

I've been doing something similar for a StarFrontiers character sheet. It's not as easy as I hoped it would be :) This thread is where I've been asking my questions; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?38783-Questions-on-Creating-Custom-Character-Sheet-(CoreRPG)

In general, the following files are the ones you are going to have to start messing with (note, this is in CoreRPG, I don't know what changes MoreCore has made);
- /campaign/record_char_main.xml, record_char.xml, record_skills.xml, record_char_notes.xml

Wookiee420
July 25th, 2017, 15:31
@LordEntrails, THANK YOU!!!! I will have a go at this when i get home from work today!
So i can make this work in Core or MoreCore, do you think it is easier in Core? Do you see any benefit using either one?

LordEntrails
July 25th, 2017, 15:34
@LordEntrails, THANK YOU!!!! I will have a go at this when i get home from work today!
So i can make this work in Core or MoreCore, do you think it is easier in Core? Do you see any benefit using either one?
I would do it in MoreCore.

I'm doing my project in Core RPG because it will hopefully be incorporated into another ruleset being developed by someone else that is based off of CoreRPG and not More Core (So I didn't want to introduce anything the ruleset developer would have to track down and correct).

Wookiee420
July 25th, 2017, 15:36
Makes sense! Thank you very much

Arion
July 26th, 2017, 12:40
I am working on a ruleset for Advanced Fighting Fantasy using MoreCore, and it is coming along very nicely. But there is one major drawback. In AFF, you can test for luck, by rolling 2D6 against the current value. But after you have done so, the current value goes down by 1. At the moment, the player has to modify the dice string i have set up (using saving throw roll) to reduce the roll under number. I am using one of the combat fields for luck, and wondered firstly if there was any way to code it so that you rolled under a field value (one of the combat boxes) as that would be much easier than changing the dice string?

Secondly, is there a way to further code the roll button such that after you have clicked it it reduces the field value by 1? I know that it does this in the earlier (non-CoreRPG ruleset) and a similar thing with Karma in the Earthdawn ruleset, but i don't know if it is possible in CoreRPG/Morecore. If it is at least possible, i will start researching how.

Jay_NOLA
July 26th, 2017, 20:33
Thanks I gave it a try. The only thing is that I'd like to figure out is if you set up a die roll does an easy way exist to do this. In the Prince Valiant game you can have an extended tosses against another character. The loser of such a round gets a drop of 1 in the number of coins that can be tossed this continues until one character gets to 0, unless of course something happened to interrupt the extended action. So any quick way to just drop the number of dice rolled from a set up roll easily?

You could use a d2 as a coin flip 1 head 2 tails or visa-versa. On the fudge Die if you right click on it you will see a circle with a pentagon,square and triangle click on it. From there select your d2.

victorsena13
July 28th, 2017, 15:50
is there a way to change the Defence, Health and order of the PC through the Combat Tracker? Like we can with NPC's?

And is there a way to not in organize alphabetical order? Like i want "Luck" be after "Wisdom"?

Like:
Wisdom
Luck

Not like:
Luck
Wisdom

LordEntrails
July 28th, 2017, 20:04
is there a way to change the Defence, Health and order of the PC through the Combat Tracker? Like we can with NPC's?

And is there a way to not in organize alphabetical order? Like i want "Luck" be after "Wisdom"?

Like:
Wisdom
Luck

Not like:
Luck
Wisdom
Have you tried prefacing with a number? Like
1.Wisdom
2.Luck

victorsena13
July 28th, 2017, 20:15
Have you tried prefacing with a number? Like
1.Wisdom
2.Luck

Didn't want this way, but it's fine, and about the other question?

LordEntrails
July 28th, 2017, 20:57
Didn't want this way, but it's fine, and about the other question?
I don't know, sorry.

mozmonar
August 1st, 2017, 19:20
I am running a Shadow of the Demon Lord game using MoreCore v1.39. It seems that only me as the GM can roll banes and boons (/bane #d6 and /boon #d6). I have an ultimate license but my players are connecting to me with the free version of FG. Is there an option that needs to be checked for this to work for them or is this by design for some reason.

timdog88
August 2nd, 2017, 02:57
I am running a Shadow of the Demon Lord game using MoreCore v1.39. It seems that only me as the GM can roll banes and boons (/bane #d6 and /boon #d6). I have an ultimate license but my players are connecting to me with the free version of FG. Is there an option that needs to be checked for this to work for them or is this by design for some reason.

I was interested in running a SOTDL games as well, but I just couldn't grasp how to set up the character sheet, have players create characters, etc. any advice would be great, and I'd love screenshots of your game if you didn't mind.

mozmonar
August 2nd, 2017, 22:36
I was interested in running a SOTDL games as well, but I just couldn't grasp how to set up the character sheet, have players create characters, etc. any advice would be great, and I'd love screenshots of your game if you didn't mind.

There isn't much structure there to run the game very well. It can be used to keep track of characters on the map. And sort of handle rolls though as my initial post here states...only I can do Bane/Boon rolls. I have MoreCore 1.39 and the SotDL skin. Then I edited the character sheet to add Ability/Characteristic Rolls. Sorry for the massive pic but I have an ultrawide monitor.20029

If I understood the guts of FG better I might be able to make it work better but, alas, I do not.

Trenloe
August 2nd, 2017, 22:49
Players can't do /boon or /bane rolls directly from the chat window. But they can set them up in the character sheet and trigger them from there.

Referring to the following screenshot (this is all on the player side):

I've setup an action on the character sheet with the dice string /boon 1d6
The ruleset recognises this as a boon roll and changes the button to show a star.
If you click on the button, it rolls the boon dice and keeps the highest number.
This boon result is then stored in the modifier box, to be applied to the next roll that you make.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20030

Trenloe
August 2nd, 2017, 22:51
There isn't much structure there to run the game very well. It can be used to keep track of characters on the map. And sort of handle rolls though as my initial post here states...only I can do Bane/Boon rolls. I have MoreCore 1.39 and the SotDL skin. Then I edited the character sheet to add Ability/Characteristic Rolls. Sorry for the massive pic but I have an ultrawide monitor.20029

If I understood the guts of FG better I might be able to make it work better but, alas, I do not.
See my post above on how to make boons and banes work fine for the player.

Additionally - if there are a few different people wanting to play Shadow of the Demon Lord and have done some work on character sheets, you can share your work - export the character sheet from the ruleset and post the XML so that other people can use, provide feedback, etc.. Maybe this will result in there being a pretty good template created that has a lot of what's need to play SotDL.

timdog88
August 2nd, 2017, 23:22
Did you make pregens for your players, or did they build them? As far as the boom/bane rolls, have you tried putting the boon/bane rolls in your rolls library and having the players drag the rolls onto their sheets?

mozmonar
August 2nd, 2017, 23:26
Players can't do /boon or /bane rolls directly from the chat window. But they can set them up in the character sheet and trigger them from there.

Referring to the following screenshot (this is all on the player side):

I've setup an action on the character sheet with the dice string /boon 1d6
The ruleset recognises this as a boon roll and changes the button to show a star.
If you click on the button, it rolls the boon dice and keeps the highest number.
This boon result is then stored in the modifier box, to be applied to the next roll that you make.

Ok I can get this to work. But that means that I need to create a separate boon and bane entry for every (reasonable) iteration. once you hit 6d6 the chances of rolling a 6 are so high it kind of isn't worth rolling additional times. Still that is twelve entries. Is there by chance a way to do or add the "hold mouse button and right click" to add additional rolls? So that only 1 boon and 1 bane entry is required?

Trenloe
August 2nd, 2017, 23:30
Is there by chance a way to do or add the "hold mouse button and right click" to add additional rolls? So that only 1 boon and 1 bane entry is required?
Nope, I don't think so.

mozmonar
August 2nd, 2017, 23:39
Nope, I don't think so.

Well that is unfortunate. Appreciate the help and the info.

Wargamer777
August 4th, 2017, 01:15
Any status on fixing the /rollunder command? It was working fine in 1.37 but seems to be broken in 1.39. I was using it on my character sheets for HackMaster 4e.

XenophageX
August 9th, 2017, 18:33
hello ,
On the macro of L5R / rak, can we do it in hidden for the Mj? If not for Order, can we put a score in which Mj ?

Thx .

Lawlesslisa
August 10th, 2017, 16:12
Hi, all;

Is there a way to add another type of Defense (more than one type of Defense) to the NPC/Character sheet? For instance, separate inputs for energy defense and physical defense? Or would I have to know some type of programming in order to do this? And then I would like to get this to display on the combat tracker. {Same question for types of health/wounds. In Starfinder they have Stamina and Hit Points that get deducted (or healed) when a character takes damage.}

Thanks

Trenloe
August 10th, 2017, 20:39
Is there a way to add another type of Defense (more than one type of Defense) to the NPC/Character sheet? For instance, separate inputs for energy defense and physical defense? Or would I have to know some type of programming in order to do this? And then I would like to get this to display on the combat tracker. {Same question for types of health/wounds. In Starfinder they have Stamina and Hit Points that get deducted (or healed) when a character takes damage.}
You can rename the data fields in the "Combat" section of the PC - click on the labels and change the names in the PC character sheet.

For the combat tracker you can do the same - click on the white labels at the top and rename them.

In the Campaign options (OPT button), scroll to the MoreCore Options at the bottom and you can add columns 4 and 5 to the Combat Tracker with the CT: Column 4 or 5 (Vis) option. You'll need to restart FG for it to read these options.

The issue you're going to have is with NPCs - there's not a way, as far as I know, to add the two custom fields for NPCs.

And, of course, you're going to get absolutely no Starfinder automation with this.

If you're looking for some level of automation, you can look at using the PFRPG ruleset for this. You'll have to track stamina manually, and you could fool FG into making KAC the "touch" AC (by using the "misc" modifier for Touch AC on the combat tab). This would allow you to specify energy attacks as "touch" attacks - either in the weapon entry or by clicking the "Touch" button in the modifiers window before rolling an attack. This should work fine as Starfinder doesn't have touch attacks.

You'd also need to change the campaign option Critical Confirm to off.

There's some things you'd have to handle manually - like any additional crit damage.

You can setup NPCs to use this as well.

Here's an example of the Space goblin from Starfinder First Contact:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20099

Trenloe
August 10th, 2017, 22:04
I've created a new thread for discussing playing Starfinder with the Pathfinder ruleset. Find it here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?39638-Using-the-PFRPG-ruleset-to-Play-Starfinder

Justov
August 20th, 2017, 02:47
So i'm new to Morecore and editing rule sets in general. It looks easy to do in Morecore and I read the doc at https://www.diehard-gaming.com/mchelp.html. My question is I want to set up stats (str, dex, con,) etc like D&D. The only way I see to do that is to set it up as a dice roll and add it to the char sheet but I don't want them as a dice roll. Just need them as a static number that can be changed. Any idea how to do this?

Imiri
August 20th, 2017, 07:55
Ideas I do have but I depends a lot on what do you want to achieve with it.
So if no roll is needed you can set them up as a test with the Chat command in the roll - as you would never push the button anyhow. If you need them as a modifier you can use the Mod command instead to get the value added to the modifier stack.

If you do not need the rolls functionality bat all you can also look at the Main Tab below the MoreCore tab and set it up there as you would in the CoreRPG.

Justov
August 20th, 2017, 23:20
So are there ways to get some rolls to auto calculate like in the D&D 5e ruleset. Example: When you select a target and roll to attack, it will look at the AC and let you know if its a hit or miss or crit. Then when you roll for damage, it will auto put in the damage. So far in MoreCore you have you manaully do all that. Same with stuff like initiative rolls. Just wondering if there are more automatic ways to set this up. I'm sure there is I'm just not finding any information on it yet. Thanks for the help.

LordEntrails
August 20th, 2017, 23:41
MoreCore doesn't, and can't, know the mechanics of the ruleset you are using. For instance, how would it know if you were rolling an attack against AC or a ability save? How would it know if a success is over or under the target number?

Those are all things that can be coded in game specific rulesets, but not in a generic ruleset that just provides all the die rolls and character sheet fields that can be used in any way someone wants.

You could take the MoreCore ruleset and make an extension or custom ruleset to do what you want, but that requires coding and such. I assume the game system you are wanting to use doesn't already have a dedicated ruleset? Out of curiosity, what system are you wanting to use?

Hopefully that helps. And of course, Trenloe or Damned might step in in a few minutes and prove me wrong :) (again!), but I am pretty confident I'm right on this one *g*

Justov
August 20th, 2017, 23:46
And that's what I kind of figured but wanted to make sure. I wouldnt mind rolling up my sleeves and do some coding to get what I'm looking for but would love a little push in the right direction if someone could, that would be fantastic. This is a custom game I've been working out outside of Fantasy Grounds and I'm trying to use Fantasy Ground to play test it a bit. It's closly related to D&D with some changes.

LordEntrails
August 21st, 2017, 03:29
If it is closely related to D&D, you probably want to start with the appropriate D&D edition ruleset rather tan MoreCore.

I'm no ruleset developer, but I do know that they will point you to the Wiki and the Developer Guides. Also check out the various ruleset threads in the workshop as many issues, questions and answers are in those as well.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Developer_Guides

Imiri
August 21st, 2017, 06:26
If you have a D&D clone start with the D&D ruleset that is closest to your system and write the extension including all the changes you need - than all the automatic stuff might already warm as it is coded in the D&D ruleset.

Ardem
August 21st, 2017, 16:24
Any chance of the /edies #d#x# (roll #dice and explode, count results above # as successes)

to use the modifier box like the wod dice do does for difficulty modifier

use Modifier box for additional Difficulty modification

Art Wendorf
August 24th, 2017, 23:19
This is a very long thread (for me) and so I probably missed it, but... Is there a Roll command that takes a die roll result and compares it to the Defense (s instead of c because... 'Merica!) and then returns with Hit or Miss?

For example, with Fantasy AGE, the player rolls 3d6 and compares the result to the targets Defense to see if he hits.

Never mind. I just needed to read the... er... instructions.