PDA

View Full Version : 5e Power Group Functionality

Nickademus
November 6th, 2016, 04:03
I ran into a problem with the 5e ruleset tonight that seems to have gotten worse since I last interacted with it (just prior to FG 3.2).

The abilities on my character suddenly gained the group of 'Powers - Class' even though all of them were manually made (prior to 3.2) and include generic effects that have nothing to do with my class. Upon trying to add a new power, it didn't go into this group like it used to; instead it went into a new group called 'POWERS'. I tried to move my previously made powers into this group but FG made a third group called 'POWERS' for them rather than put them in the group that newly made powers go into. So now I have three groups...

Here's the worse part. The reason for my trying to move a power in the first place was because I noticed my Channel Divinity hadn't come back after a short rest. When I looked at the power in Preparation Mode there was no button to toggle between Once, Daily, and Rest. It only had the number field that represented uses per day. In trying to get my Channel Divinity to reset on short rest I found that only the 'POWERS' group that new powers are put into by default has the reset toggle. Changing the group name to make a new group or trying to put a power back in the default 'POWERS' group results in a group that has no reset toggles. Powers that have their group names changed will never be able to be put back into the original 'POWERS' group (which is the only one that has the reset toggle buttons).

A similar problem in my eyes is the spells. I gained a daily ability to cast the lesser restoration spell. If I drag it into the spells area of the Actions tab it automatically goes in the Spells (Level 2) section. There is no way to set this to reset upon a short or long rest because it counts as a spell. If I drag it into the powers section of the Actions tab, it makes a group called 'Powers' that is different from the default 'POWERS' group and that doesn't have a reset toggle button (up to four powers groups now). Again, there is no way to set this to reset upon a short or long rest since the toggle is missing.

All in all, I don't like the restrictive automation of the Actions tab in the 5e ruleset. I would like to be able to free make groups and move powers between groups by dragging and dropping the power/spell link (like in the 3.5e ruleset). Likewise, if I want to put a spell in a level different than it normally would go (such as mirror image as a 1st-level spell), I want to be able to drag and drop it into the Spell (Level 1) section. Other rulesets don't have things locked down this much, so I know it's not a requirement of FG.

Moon Wizard
November 6th, 2016, 05:33
The power group functionality is a balance between attempting to automate the most common cases, while allowing the flexibility to customize the tab. It's a challenging feature, because everyone wants it different and even then they want different things depending on PC class, items, etc.

The "Powers" group is automatically created whenever a power is added using the Add Power button in edit mode, or when a non-spell is dropped onto the Actions tab. To change the group of the item (and thus create a new group), just change the group value in the group field of that entry.

For my cleric, I created by Channel Divinity in this way:

* Created a new power, which I named Turn Undead.
* Changed the Group for Turn Undead to Channel Divinity (which created the Channel Divinity group).
* Created another power, which I named Knowledge of the Ages
* Changed the Group for the Knowledge power to Channel Divinity (placing them both in the same group)
* Clicked on the magnifying glass for Channel Divinity to open the group details
* Set the Ability to Wisdom
* Set the Uses to 2 and the Uses Period to Rest

Once groups are created by changing the group name, they have to be directly deleted. They are not removed once the last power entry is removed, so that the group detail data is not lost while people make changes.

For the Lesser Restoration, you should be able to move the spell from the "Spells" group to a different group, which you can set as a Rest recharged power.

Regards,
JPG

Nickademus
November 7th, 2016, 05:07
New 5e campaign; no extensions.

The "Powers" group is automatically created whenever a power is added using the Add Power button in edit mode, or when a non-spell is dropped onto the Actions tab.
Actually, the group is called "POWERS" and is case-sensitive, so the difference matters. As you can see here, changing the group from "POWERS" to "Powers" makes a second group (which new powers do not go into).

For my cleric, I created by Channel Divinity in this way:
* Clicked on the magnifying glass for Channel Divinity to open the group details
* Set the Uses to 2 and the Uses Period to Rest
This was something I didn't remember I could do, but it affects the entire group. Individual powers cannot be set to have a reset in any group other than the default "POWERS". As you can see below, the individual toggle button isn't even there in any other group.

For the Lesser Restoration, you should be able to move the spell from the "Spells" group to a different group, which you can set as a Rest recharged power.
Does this mean that each power is supposed to have its own group? Currently, the "POWERS" default group allows you to have multiple different reset profiles mixed together, though you cannot put any powers into this group (they have to be made fresh to start there). Changing a power's group to "POWERS" makes a non-default group separate from the default one.

On a side note, when a game I am playing in was updated to 3.2, all my powers that were in the default "POWERS" group were automatically moved to the "Powers - Class" group. Now I can't put them back in the "POWERS" group as noted above and I can't set them individually to reset on short rest, long rest, and never as noted above. If I want one group to hold all my generic powers and allow diverse reset settings, I must delete them all and remake them so they appear once again in the default "POWERS" section. A bit annoying, but I wonder how often FG is going to rename my groups.

Moon Wizard
November 7th, 2016, 07:08
You're correct, the default is POWERS.

The way that the groups are currently working was evolved from a situation that arose with the way the powers worked in v3.1.7, where the uses period for the group was interacting poorly with the uses period for the individual powers. Let me think about this a bit. I think the answer may be to show/use the individual powers option, only when the group powers uses is 0 or in the default group.

I have no idea why the powers where automatically clustered from "POWERS" into "Powers - Class", since I'm not seeing any code that should do that. By any chance, is this something that you can reproduce? I'll keep looking, but I can't think of a reason why that would happen right now. However, it is late. ;)

Thanks,
JPG

Nickademus
November 7th, 2016, 18:35
It's not my campaign; it is a game I'm playing in. So I doubt I can reproduce it. Honestly, I since no one is reporting a similar problem it is probably an isolated incident. Might have had something to do with the update or might have been the GM. Could have been a module problem. I don't know. I doubt I'll see it again as newly-made powers to suffer from it.

I think the bigger error here is the fact that no power can be moved to the default group. FG currently makes a new group with the same name. I doubt that is the intended behavior. And if that is fixed, any power can be put into the default group so that it being the only group with individual reset toggles isn't an issue.

Zacchaeus
November 7th, 2016, 22:01
The issue of toggles not appearing has been fixed in v3.2.1 (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34882-Test-Release-v3-2-1)

Nickademus
November 7th, 2016, 22:43
Ah, this:
[5E] Added back per power use periods for powers in the non-default group on the PC Actions tab.

Very good.
*happy panda*

Moon Wizard
November 8th, 2016, 01:37
Have you already tried setting the Group to empty to reset back to the default group? This is how I expect it to work, and how it's working for me.

Regards,
JPG

Nickademus
November 8th, 2016, 03:50
Ah, yes. That works. Hadn't thought of clearing the group name. Should be fine now; I'll have to wait until the game to see if I can get rid of all the "Powers - Class".