PDA

View Full Version : Reddit Monster a Day Savage Worlds Conversion 100+ Monsters.

WansumBeats
November 6th, 2016, 03:17
So Reddit has a Monster a Day compendium you can check out. Its full of some pretty badass monsters. Some of which, now that I am playing Savage Worlds, I would really like to use inside Fantasy Grounds. So I converted them from 5e to SW over the last 3 months and created a module for FG, complete with Tokens and images.

I'm new to SW and converting monsters isn't my specialty, but I found some great online resources to help me along like this one.
https://www.godwars2.org/SavageWorlds/convert4.html.

You will see the monsters still have a "D&D" flavor to them by the way I entered the info.

Anyways if you own FG and want 100+ new monsters with tokens and images enjoy.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1cnp8lq-ACKVlZfWTd1aTBObkE

If you find anything in error, like misspelled text or have suggestions on how to make this better. Please comment here.

spite
November 6th, 2016, 08:39
That is a great tool there, does it output a monster that can be easily parsed into SW using the community parser in this forum?
I might have to convert all my homebrew monsters too :P

Great work on the module too man.

Mask_of_winter
November 6th, 2016, 08:42
You're better off using the NPC Maker than Par5e for Savage Worlds.

spite
November 6th, 2016, 08:52
You're better off using the NPC Maker than Par5e for Savage Worlds.

Yea that's the one I was referring to. The big bulk importer extension.

rodney418
November 6th, 2016, 22:09
This is great! I will absolutely be using some of these in my current steampunk horror campaign :-)

WansumBeats
November 6th, 2016, 23:55
Yes it does. At the bottom you can click on "Show the Combat Simulator statblock." and then you can copy it and use SW NPC Maker to import the monster into fantasy grounds

spite
November 7th, 2016, 03:44
Thanks for that. And thanks again for this great module :)

rodney418
November 7th, 2016, 04:25
Has anyone done page listing free modules and extensions like this? Is there a section for them in the Wiki? If not, how do we go about making that happen? Although it's nice to discover things by poking around this forum, a lot of things aren't easy to find...

Trenloe
November 7th, 2016, 06:19
Has anyone done page listing free modules and extensions like this?
Look at the sticky threads at the top of the relevant (rulesystem) forum or in the Armory.

rodney418
November 7th, 2016, 06:21
Yeah, but that's still a lot of poking around trying to figure out what does what. An actual dedicated file repository would be a lot easier, especially for new GMs just starting up.

Trenloe
November 7th, 2016, 06:27
Yeah, but that's still a lot of poking around trying to figure out what does what. An actual dedicated file repository would be a lot easier, especially for new GMs just starting up.
And then they'd have to poke around in a big long file list for all of the different FG rulesets - and how would they know what was what from just a filename in a list?

What we have now is a fairly simple process. Interested in a Savage Worlds module or Extension? Then go to the Savage Worlds forums and look at the sticky threads at the top - here you'll find two threads: "Savage Worlds Enhancement Extensions" and "Community Extensions". Have a look in those to see a list of extensions, with brief descriptions which are much more useful than a filename in a file repository, and if you want more info then click on the links to the relevant threads.

Trenloe
November 7th, 2016, 06:29
Has anyone done page listing free modules and extensions like this? Is there a section for them in the Wiki?
Click the Extensions or Modules link on the first page of the Wiki.

damned
November 7th, 2016, 08:34

Hey rodney418 there is merit in both ways of doing it.
A couple of things - as a new GM Id suggest adding as few extras to FG as possible - there is soooo much to learn as it is. More tools while you are still getting a handle on the base tools often doesnt make the game faster or more fun. The current method - with all of its inefficiency - does have teh advantage of directing you not only to the file/resource but also the back and forth and development of the tool so you do actually have a better chance of understanding the resource and its limitations. Community resources vary greatly - some just add a button or change some colours and others include large reference materials or big increases in functionality. I do recommend that you do read the associated thread when you do find a new extension or module that sounds interesting.

rodney418
November 7th, 2016, 09:35
I take your points gentlemen, but it still sounds too much like the classic "us elders had to do it all by hand using noting more than candlelight and punch cards, and these young whippersnappers don't know how lucky they have it" :-)

Seriously, what's wrong with having a Wiki-style page (or pages) with useful mods, extensions etc. listed in the correct categories so people can just have a one-stop shop for the things they might need? That's how pretty much every modern videogame modding community does it. A set of forum posts is not an efficient file repository in the long term - it does not scale well.

I honestly think this kind of attitude is one of the things that holds this software back from more widespread adoption.

Mask_of_winter
November 7th, 2016, 14:05
There's nothing wrong with it. It just needs someone to volunteer their time to make one and keep it up to date. Are you that guy?
Kevin Hogan volunteered to make a pdf manual for Savage Worlds and that's why we have one.

Trenloe
November 7th, 2016, 15:58
I take your points gentlemen, but it still sounds too much like the classic "us elders had to do it all by hand using noting more than candlelight and punch cards, and these young whippersnappers don't know how lucky they have it" :-)
No, that is not it at all. What we do now is a tried and tested solution that works within our community. It allows the many developers to post (and self document) their developments, allow feedback/questions and allows them to update as needed. The moderators spend a lot of their time (for free) providing links to new/updated development for the specific rulesets.

Could it be improved on? Yes, it could. But as Mask_of_Winter mentioned above it needs someone to take on that role (across more than a dozen quite different rulesets), scour the forums for changes to extensions and then put them into a Wiki page. Then do this again and again and again, otherwise the page/s will become out of date and soon pretty useless. Do you know anyone who is willing to do this community project and keep it going?

I honestly think this kind of attitude is one of the things that holds this software back from more widespread adoption.
Funny, most people who come to these forums say they came to fantasy grounds because of the community and the helpfulness of the forums.

It's not the way you're used to, I get it. But, as mentioned, it's something that over the years we have found works in this community. So, just spend a little bit of time going to the correct ruleset forums and click on the sticky link at the top of those forums. If there isn't a sticky link then it's a good bet there isn't anything specific to that ruleset available - but always remember to check the CoreRPG ruleset forum as well as many developments for CoreRPG can be used in other ruleset.

rodney418
November 7th, 2016, 16:15
I get all that, really, I do. And yes, this community and these forums are great, you guys have helped me immensely, so please don't think I don't understand and respect that.

rodney418
November 7th, 2016, 16:16
There's nothing wrong with it. It just needs someone to volunteer their time to make one and keep it up to date. Are you that guy?

Yeah, maybe. Should it be part of the current Wiki? If so, how would I get editing access for it?