PDA

View Full Version : LFG - Veteran D&D player looking for homebrew group

Nomoreliches
November 5th, 2016, 19:53
Hello!

I am an experienced D&D player looking for a long term group playing 5e. I would prefer a newer group that just started if possible. I have ultimate license and time for 1 game on Friday nights starting any time after 5pm MST and going till whenever or anytime Saturday.

About Me

Name: Will
Experience: I have been playing tabletop rpgs for over 17 years and started with first edition in 1995. I have played the following: D&D (1st through 5th edition), Pathfinder, Star Wars (both original and expanded), the White Wolf games, as well as a short dalliance into Warhammer Fantasy.
I have DM'd for most of my campaigns (including an 8 yearlong 3.5e game), but really enjoy playing. My favorite character was a human necromancer started in 2nd edition who retired at 80th level in 3.5 edition. My favorite moment was when the lawful-good, celestial warrior in the group convinced me to change from chaotic evil to neutral evil. The player was actually able to convince me with no rolls over a 2 hour conversation. Because of my experience of DMing so many years, I am capable of roleplaying any alignment, race, or class. I enjoy creating worlds and stories with the DM and players, and crafting memorable experiences that we will all remember for years to come.
Time zone: US West Coast

Character Options
Name: Grim
Race: Human
Class: Paladin - Vengeance
Background: Soldier - Conscripted to the militia when he came of age, Grim learned from veteran commanders that a simple, direct solution is the best path to success. During his years of service discipline was pounded into him and he responds to authority figures unconsciously, but doesn't let that stop him from doing what he must to accomplish a goal. He learned that the common folk have no defense and it is his duty in life to protect those that require it. Later in life, Grim was the victim of a terrible crime, and holds an irrational hatred for his enemies, he blindly hunts them at the exclusion of all else when they are near. (DM's discretion for rank in military and what type of fighting he saw. We can flesh it out together.)
Basic Concept and Backstory: Daroc Beans grew up in a small farming community and had a peaceful childhood working on his father's farm. At the age of 16 he was conscripted into the local militia to combat an invasion of (DM insert creature here). After the invasion was staved off, he stayed with the militia thinking it was his destiny until he met a local girl while on border patrol. Daroc quickly fell in love with Mina and retired from the military to marry and take over her ailing father's farm. They lived happily for years, and had a son that became the joy of their life.
At the end of a harvest, they would load up two wagons, Daroc driving one, and Mina driving the other, with their son Vadin riding in the back. They had made the trip many times, as did all the local farmers so Daroc did not think to bring protection. On the last evening before they were to reach the city to sell their crops, they were set upon by a group of hooded men waiting for them in the darkness. Daroc fought to his last breath, but was overwhelmed by their numbers and fell broken and bloody. He watched as they slew his family for the few silver that his wife was carrying.
Consumed by grief and past the brink of death, Daroc's spirit called out to any god that would listen to give him the power to rise up and defeat this evil. Darkness consumed him, and he drifted away. He was met in the spirit realm by a divine entity that proposed a deal: his name and his soul for a second chance. Daroc leapt at the chance and agreed. He awoke on the ground bloody but whole. A new wave of energy surged through his body and he rushed to his feet to chase down the ones who had taken everything from him. He hunted them...he found them...and he killed them all.
Grim now wanders the land looking for those that deserve the swift delivery of divine justice. Life and death hold no meaning for him now...only Vengeance.
Playstyle: While mostly concerned with protecting others, if he comes across an enemy that requires dealing justice, he will stop at nothing to stop them. Grim doesn't even know which god chose to help him, and doesn't really care since it just happened. He supposes someday they will want something from him, but until then he is content to drown his sorrows in the bottom of a bottle.

Name: Alvyn Jabeedo Warryn Murnig
Race: Gnome
Class: Wizard - Abjuration
Background: Guild Artisan –
Basic Concept and Backstory: Alvyn Jebeedo Warryn Murnig hails from a small village consisting mainly of his native folk. He grew up surrounded by his close and extended family and was named for his grandfather, father, and uncle. Alvyn is a classically trained wizard with a Degree in Arcane Studies with a focus in Abjuration Techniques from [insert name here] University. During his tenure at the University he was given the nickname "Short Round" due to his vertical disability, and the fact that he is in fact, quite round (Alvyn has a love of sugar cookies, especially the ones his mother would send him).
While in school, Alvyn found it distasteful for everyone to expect him to master in Illusion just because he was a gnome. To prove them all wrong and to find a mastery more in line with his own likes, he chose Abjuration. It turned out that Alvyn had quite a knack for it and excelled at his studies. He made a good friend at school, a high elf named Enethos Gothriande. They spent much of their time practicing together and helping each other in their studies. After many years, Alvlyn was able to graduate near the top of his class, just behind Enethos.
After graduating, he returned to his home town to work as a local hedge wizard, but the plan was quickly interrupted when he was recruited by his Uncle Warryn into the Clockwork Artisans Guild. It was here that his natural ability at machines was refined and he received his Master Clockwork Technician Certificate. He did in fact open a local magic shop, but its merchandise also included the clockwork machines patented by the guild. His business flourished for the first few months that is until disaster struck.
During one dark and stormy night, his shop was burglarized and set aflame, but not before the plans for his Ultimate Machine (a design that came to him in a dream, and which he forgot in a different dream) were stolen from the safe in his basement. His shop destroyed and his plans stolen, Alvyn has set out to find the perpetrator. He vowed to not return home until he has reclaimed the plans for his Ultimate Machine and his name as an abjuration master is cleared (they did break through his wards after all). With fire in his heart, Alvyn sets out into the wide world to fulfill his vow and regain his honor (and his money).
Playstyle: A bubbly and friendly gnome that collects everything in his bag. He tends to stay far from combat if possible, but when it starts to look dire, will wade into the thick of it and allow his magic to absorb damage. Alvyn sometimes will get reckless as he has a small complex about being indestructible.

Name: Brynd Eldove
Race: Half-elf
Class: Bard - Lore
Background: Sage - Brynd was orphaned and raised in a monastery devoted to knowledge and spent his youth serving as an aid in the courts. He learned to listen to every side of a story before making judgement before he had earned his first degree at the age of 13. The monks taught him that the path to power and self-improvement is through knowledge, and he took this to heart, learning everything and anything he could. When he was studying the arcane, he discovered that he had an innate ability: he could command magic with his voice. He had never heard of any such thing and went looking deep in the monastery's vaults for an answer. What he found instead was an ancient text that holds terrible secrets. Brynd was so frightened of what he found, that he keeps the tome close to him at all times, lest it fall into the wrong hands. Throughout his life, Brynd has been known to be easily distracted by the promise of unknown information, that lesson of self-improvement from the monks shows itself sometimes at the most inopportune times.
Playstyle: While definitely a knowledgeable person, Brynd keeps his mouth shut on most occasions unless asked for his opinion. He has just left the monastery and is still experimenting with the magic that his voice can do, discovering that saying certain words in certain ways has magical effects for him, but no one else. Where did this power come from?

And many, many more characters one of which I'm sure will fit into your group and story.

If you think that I would be a good fit for your group, please send me a PM or post something here.

Nomoreliches
November 6th, 2016, 19:44
I suppose I could swing a Thursday night game as long as it's between 5-10 pm MST, but prefer Fri/Sat if possible.

damned
November 7th, 2016, 10:05
Heya Nomoreliches - 5e games tend to fill up fast so you need to visit regularly and apply to stuff that fits your schedule. Most 5e GMs dont end up approaching players as they get enough players coming to them...

Nomoreliches
November 8th, 2016, 02:15
Yes, I have been keeping an eye on the LFG forums, but figured it couldn't hurt to get my name out there. Additionally if there are others looking for the same type of game, it would't hurt to find them as well. Appreciate the input damned.

PhorgottenSon
November 8th, 2016, 03:22
Yes, I have been keeping an eye on the LFG forums, but figured it couldn't hurt to get my name out there. Additionally if there are others looking for the same type of game, it would't hurt to find them as well. Appreciate the input damned.

Agree, it can't hurt. Homebrew that stays going for a while is hard to find.