PDA

View Full Version : Token Bags don't show up

carlmund
November 5th, 2016, 17:31
Just updated to 3.2.0 on my desktop only to find my custom tokens no longer show up in the Token Box. I'm using the Rolemaster Classic Ruleset and have a Ultimate License. They are in the \Fantasy_Grounds_Data\tokens\host (or Shared). They showed up no problems before the update, now nothing. They still show on my other device (Surface Pro 3) with the previous version. I'm scared to update that yet. I have totally uninstalled and reinstalled Fantasy Grounds to no effect. Has the folder changed or something like this as to where the Tokens go?
Thanks in advance for your help,
Andrew.

Trenloe
November 5th, 2016, 17:35
If you've uninstalled and reinstalled then the directory probably has changed.

On the main FG launch screen click the folder icon in the top right - this will take you to the <FG App Data> directory that FG will use. Check to see if your tokens are there (in the usual place - \tokens\host or shared) and if not then copy them over.

carlmund
November 5th, 2016, 17:42
Thanks for the reply but the reason I uninstalled and reinstalled was because I couldn't see the Tokens even though they were in the folders. They are in the folders and I still can't see them in the Token Box of FG. The settings are good, they are there but for some reason FG can't see them. They worked just fine before the update.
Andrew

Trenloe
November 5th, 2016, 17:48
Well, it works absolutely fine for me after upgrading to v3.2.0. The only normal reason I can think of is that the settings aren't correct (I know you say "the settings are good") - have you double checked by clicking the folder icon on the main launch screen? I'm sorry if you've already done this, but the amount of times people asking for help on these forums have said "the settings are good" and they turn out that they aren't. Just making doubly sure before we start looking at weird causes...

Trenloe
November 5th, 2016, 17:50
As a second check - start FG and click the "Settings" button - check where the "Data Directory" is pointing to.

carlmund
November 5th, 2016, 18:07
I have had no problems previously until the update. I checked to see if the update had changed the path to the Data by clicking on the folder icon like you said much earlier this evening. Nothing had changed (except no longer seeing bag in the Token Box) and the tokens were in their folder ie <click on Folder Icon> then 'tokens' then 'host' (which contains my folder of tokens). The path on the settings also matches where the icon goes.

carlmund
November 5th, 2016, 18:25
Hi,
Have solved problem. Will let you know what is was.

Trenloe
November 5th, 2016, 18:27
EDIT: Cool, glad you solved it. :)

--------------------------------------
OK, very strange (thanks for double checking).

Could you try/feedback on the following:

When you launch FG, what version is reported in the top right hand corner? Include any text after the number.
Create a brand new CoreRPG campaign without any extensions. Start that up - what version for the CoreRPG rulset is reported in the chat window? (I know you're using RoleMaster, but want to see if the base stuff is an issue too).
In the new CoreRPG campaign created in #2: does the tokens bad show anything? If not, click the "host" button - what directory location does that point to?

carlmund
November 5th, 2016, 19:05
Hi,
Found issue. As I said before worked perfectly before update. The Data Directory was right but obviously was of no use in seeing my tokens because the App Directory path was not pointing to the same place. Now these settings were the same (App directory pointing to different place) as previously before and after the update where everything worked fine then didn't. I uninstalled and reinstalled (keeping these same settings as they worked perfectly before the update) to see if it just got bugged. Still could not see Tokens. After talking to you I thought I would try to change the App Directory and, bloody hell, it worked. I really didn't need to uninstall and reinstall. I find it strange I had to change my App Directory Setting which worked just fine before the update to make it work now. Hope this is clear so you can help other dummies like me. So in summary, I should have updated and simply changed the App Directory. What I find strange is the App Directory worked fine before the update, but not after it despite the path being the same as previous ie not pointing to same place as Data Directory. Thanks so much for your help and I'm sorry I had to bother you with a simple fix. It's 5am now so I need to go to bed :)
Thanks again for your help
Andrew

Trenloe
November 5th, 2016, 19:11
The App directory should point to a different directory. That is standard setup and many people have upgraded to v3.2.0 fine with a separate directory. All I can think of is that something got blocked as part of the update (some people, including me, had files blocked by our security/AC applications during the update). Are you now saying that your app directory is now pointing at the same place as the data directory?

carlmund
November 5th, 2016, 19:21
Yes, my App Directory I changed to point to the same place as my Data Directory but now realize this is wrong. Hmm I must be seeing things because now I can't see my Tokens and I thought I did. It's after 5am in Australia (and I haven't been to bed yet) now so I really need to go to bed. I'll deal with this later. Bugger, thought I had this. Thanks for your help and I'll deal with this another time.
Andrew

damned
November 6th, 2016, 00:19
Hi carlmund about 2 or 3 years ago there was quite a bit of change to the default data location and again about a year ago. Being that you have been a long time user its possible that you had an install to an older location and the update or the reinstall may have updated this location and orphaned all your tokens?
Typically paths with the current install are: C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds and C:\ProgramData\Fantasy Grounds
Take note of your current paths.
Set them back to the above and launch FG and update. Then copy your own content (campaigns and tokens and extensions) to this new location and restart FG...

I feel your pain - was up to the same time hacking away at some FG coding...

Trenloe
November 6th, 2016, 04:12
Typically paths with the current install are: C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds and C:\ProgramData\Fantasy Grounds
Actually, the recommendation from the devs (Moon Wizard) is *not* to use ProgramData. I transposed MW's recommendations in the first post here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?30604-Windows-file-access-issues-can-t-update-campaigns-not-saving-etc-Fix-options

Moon Wizard
November 6th, 2016, 04:47
Yeah, the MS documentation is a bit contradictory as to where "application data" should be saved. We attempted to move to what was published as the official location ("ProgramData"), and it caused a huge amount of permission issues that are still coming up. The User/AppData/Roaming folder is the default location, because the permissions "usually" act as expected.

Regards,
JPG