PDA

View Full Version : Magic Item Effects and Scroll Usage

Nilram the Grey
November 5th, 2016, 02:22
Ok, I've searched the forums and haven't found much on how magic items are like a ring of resistance or a scroll with a spell on it is supposed to utilized in FG. All I can seem to find is that if I have a ring of resistance, I have to create an effect to model the ring's power manually under the actions tab on my character. That seems pretty brute force. Equipping it doesn't seem to have any effect. For scrolls I can't see any way to cast the spell on the scroll in game. Modeling it as an action makes no sense given it is a one shot item. Anyone able to help me out on this?

LordEntrails
November 5th, 2016, 02:38
No automation that I know of. Creating an effect in the CT or as an action is really pretty simple. Especially for a ring of resistance (RESIST: fire, RESIST: cold, etc).

Scrolls, just have to have the player open the link to the spell and read it and do what it says.

damned
November 5th, 2016, 03:03
They are as you say - create an effect and create a spell or action...

El Condoro
November 5th, 2016, 06:25
For a Ring of Prot +1 I create an effect for [SELF]. Since the PCs are never removed from the CT, one click and it's permanent. When he removes the ring I will remove the effect.

Zacchaeus
November 5th, 2016, 11:59
Ok, I've searched the forums and haven't found much on how magic items are like a ring of resistance or a scroll with a spell on it is supposed to utilized in FG. All I can seem to find is that if I have a ring of resistance, I have to create an effect to model the ring's power manually under the actions tab on my character. That seems pretty brute force. Equipping it doesn't seem to have any effect. For scrolls I can't see any way to cast the spell on the scroll in game. Modeling it as an action makes no sense given it is a one shot item. Anyone able to help me out on this?

Not everything is automated; you have to do some things yourself. Apart from certain magic weapons equipping a magic item won't do anything as far as creating actions in the actions tab. As has been pointed out you will need to create the effects yourself. Effects are very powerful and to get the best out of FG you need to learn how to create and use them. You can find some useful links to information of effects and other aspects of FG here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27296-Guides-videos-and-other-helpful-information).

For spells scrolls as you have found there is a link to the spell in the scroll. If you want to automate the spell (assuming it isn't just a 'Theatre of the Mind' type spell) then the only way you are going to be able to do that is to drag it and drop it in a player's action tab. You'll want to create a power group (call it say - spell scrolls) and drop it in there. You can set up the Spell save DC etc in the power group edit. If you do so then the spell should automate effects as well as any attack and save DC. You can then go into preparation mode and make this spell useable only once.

I have a similar thing set up for players to deal with other consumable items such as healing potions. By limiting the useage the items disappears from the actions tab and only when they get another one will they be able to uncheck the used button to make it visible again.

You may not want to go to all that trouble of course for a single spell scroll but if there are likely to be multiples then setting up a power group will be handy.

Nilram the Grey
November 5th, 2016, 23:19
Thanks for the answers guys disappointing as they are. I guess I just expect such basic functionality to be in place already and there was I was just a problem on my end. At least 3.2 has added automation like armor adjusting AC now, I'm wondering if that feature/capability can be extended to allow a power on an item to show up under actions if said item is attuned or equipped by a character. That would be a great next step update to the code. I'd also love to see the attuned state in addition to carried, equipped, and unequiped states for items in our inventory. I'll keep spending money on FG in hopes that helps fund more improvements. The 3.2 update has been very nice!

I don't see a way to make a power a one shot power. When I add a spell (from a scroll) to my fighter, right now he regains the scrolls power every long rest instead. I guess I have to manually add it and instead of ticking the box when I cast it, I need to go into edit mode and delete it. Do I have this right?

Zacchaeus
November 6th, 2016, 01:23
Thanks for the answers guys disappointing as they are. I guess I just expect such basic functionality to be in place already and there was I was just a problem on my end. At least 3.2 has added automation like armor adjusting AC now, I'm wondering if that feature/capability can be extended to allow a power on an item to show up under actions if said item is attuned or equipped by a character. That would be a great next step update to the code. I'd also love to see the attuned state in addition to carried, equipped, and unequiped states for items in our inventory. I'll keep spending money on FG in hopes that helps fund more improvements. The 3.2 update has been very nice!

I don't see a way to make a power a one shot power. When I add a spell (from a scroll) to my fighter, right now he regains the scrolls power every long rest instead. I guess I have to manually add it and instead of ticking the box when I cast it, I need to go into edit mode and delete it. Do I have this right?

If you set item identification to on in options an equpped magic item will effectively have the not attuned state. Once it is identified it becomes attuned and any bonuses will then apply. Having an attuned state is basically therefore superfluous.

There is currently an issue with the action tab which is preventing an item from being designated as a one shot. Once it is fixed you'll be able to set the item as a single use.

Nilram the Grey
November 6th, 2016, 12:12
Zacchaeus,

Thanks, the ability to create a one shot will really help for modeling potions and scrolls. I don't agree that attuned state is superfluous with identified. You very much can have unattuned and identified items. My character currently has two such items. One is a redundant item (you can't attune two items of the same type) and one i just identified, but haven't been able to attune yet.

Zacchaeus
November 6th, 2016, 13:37
Zacchaeus,

Thanks, the ability to create a one shot will really help for modeling potions and scrolls. I don't agree that attuned state is superfluous with identified. You very much can have unattuned and identified items. My character currently has two such items. One is a redundant item (you can't attune two items of the same type) and one i just identified, but haven't been able to attune yet.

I didn't explain it terribly well. What I mean is leave the item unidentified (even after it's been identified but not attuned) and it will function if used as if it were a normal item; then once it's attuned identify to gain the enhanced abilities. I can see where you are coming from and you might want to add your idea to the wish list (https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/).

Nilram the Grey
November 7th, 2016, 14:13
Done (I think). Thanks.

ll00ll00ll00ll
November 7th, 2016, 17:29
On this topic, is there a way to setup common effects in a table of some sort so that they would be drag and drop? Basically if I was to go through and pre-enter all of the examples contained on the FG Effects WIKI page, so that they could just be dragged onto a PC / NPC during the game without having to look up any code / context language?

Moon Wizard
November 7th, 2016, 17:48
There's a campaign effects list that you can set up. Just click the button with the running man icon in the upper right corner (icon may vary, but it's the last of the small buttons).

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
November 7th, 2016, 19:43
On this topic, is there a way to setup common effects in a table of some sort so that they would be drag and drop? Basically if I was to go through and pre-enter all of the examples contained on the FG Effects WIKI page, so that they could just be dragged onto a PC / NPC during the game without having to look up any code / context language?
As MW says, use the Campaign effects list: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Effects

Zacchaeus
November 7th, 2016, 21:57

Whilst you can do this I think you will find it a lot easier and certainly more accurate if you create the effects on the PCs actions tab. If you are the DM get your players involved in learning how to create and use effects it will help them (and you) understand things and take some of the burden off you.

You can also have a look at this extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23566-5E-Player-Effect-Removal-Extension) which allows players to remove effects.

Trenloe
November 8th, 2016, 00:04
Whereas the dummy PC for effects can be useful, it is limiting in some ways: primarily only the GM and one player can access it. The campaign effects list gives the GM more flexibility (and now you can export your effects library to a module for easy re-use in different campaigns) in terms of organization, use (straight from the effects list) and giving all players access to the effects (or keeping them GM only).

But, go with whatever you're most comfortable with...