PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying Lost mine of Phandelver, but...

Tiqon
November 4th, 2016, 18:31
I plan to buy Lost Mine of Phandelver as we actually play that right now in a Face to face game, but with the new release I'm tempted to use FG for this.

It says in the store:

Requirements: The 5E Ruleset and one of the following modules: D&D Basic Rules, D&D Comple Core Class Pack or D&D Character Customization Pack

I have had no need for buying any of the D&D 5E content as the Basic rules and the SRD is enough for my needs right now.

I read the requirement for Lost mine of Phandelver as I don't need to buy anything else as I have the ruleset (build in) and the Basic rules (also "build in" that is I got it free in FG :)), right?

Trenloe
November 4th, 2016, 18:39
Correct, you don't need to buy anything else.

Nylanfs
November 4th, 2016, 18:43
Another place the Oxford comma would clarify things...

Tiqon
November 4th, 2016, 18:50
Thanks :). Just watched the video Doug made (nice one, as usual ;)). He states it clearly too. Nylanfs I'm not sure what the comma thing is (I'm danish, I only know how to raid the english, not write english using commas the correct way ;)). Anyways, I just wanted to be sure, so thanks for that Trenloe. Now to spend some monies [SIC].....

Zacchaeus
November 4th, 2016, 18:56
Thanks :). Just watched the video Doug made (nice one, as usual ;)). He states it clearly too. Nylanfs I'm not sure what the comma thing is (I'm danish, I only know how to raid the english, not write english using commas the correct way ;)). Anyways, I just wanted to be sure, so thanks for that Trenloe. Now to spend some monies [SIC].....

I had no idea what an Oxford comma was either Tigin, I had to Google it. At any rate Nylanfs, I think, was referring to the sentence you quoted from the Store rather than anything you said.

LordEntrails
November 4th, 2016, 19:14
Apparently I've always used the Oxford comma and never knew it. Guess I've always had an English keyboard and not an American one... *G*

But yes, in a list of things, putting a comma after the next to last list item and before the "and" is always clearer :)

Nickademus
November 4th, 2016, 19:15
I had no idea what an Oxford comma was either Tigin, I had to Google it. At any rate Nylanfs, I think, was referring to the sentence you quoted from the Store rather than anything you said.

Requirements: The 5E Ruleset and one of the following modules: D&D Basic Rules, D&D Comple Core Class Pack, <-- Oxford Comma or D&D Character Customization Pack

Comma, emphasis, and love added.
No oxen were harmed in the making of this comma.
No Oxford degree required to use.

Zacchaeus
November 4th, 2016, 19:26
I can't for the life of me see why the addition of a comma makes any difference to the sentence; but that's probably because of my advancing years and the fact that if I had presumed to insert a comma before a following or or an and I would have gotten the belt from my English teachers :)

7H3LaughingMan
November 4th, 2016, 19:34

I had to look it up as well, but I already use it on without realizing. But I feel it would make it clearer.

D&D Basic Rules, D&D Comple Core Class Pack, or D&D Character Customization Pack

Zacchaeus
November 4th, 2016, 19:45
I had to look it up as well, but I already use it on without realizing. But I feel it would make it clearer.

D&D Basic Rules, D&D Comple Core Class Pack, or D&D Character Customization Pack

Interesting; the important part of the sentence for me is in the bit before the colon. I read it as

The 5E Ruleset and one of the following modules: D&D Basic Rules, D&D Comple Core Class Pack or D&D Character Customization Pack

Becasue it says one of then it is saying that you only need one of the items in the list. I can't see how it can be read any other way. English is such a pest of a language :)

Trenloe
November 4th, 2016, 20:59
Interesting; the important part of the sentence for me is in the bit before the colon. I read it as

The 5E Ruleset and one of the following modules: D&D Basic Rules, D&D Comple Core Class Pack or D&D Character Customization Pack

Becasue it says one of then it is saying that you only need one of the items in the list. I can't see how it can be read any other way. English is such a pest of a language :)
Yeah, I agree - I didn't see a need to clarify this. In fact, I felt the post about the Oxford colon (without any reference or context) caused more confusion and needed clarification itself.

The OP's questions wasn't regarding the wording or anything else, it was just asking if their understanding of needing one of those modules was correct, which it was. Double checking before spending money!

Tiqon
November 4th, 2016, 21:45
Double checking before spending money!

Exacly Trenloe ;). I might be danish, but I spend money like I'm scottish :D. And I'm not OP, I'm not Tigon, I'm TIQON! :P.

(I know what you mean with "OP", and I know it looks like Tigon ;), that's why my tag often is:

Tiqon (That a Q not a G).

And look what I started.... LOL :D.

Zacchaeus
November 4th, 2016, 22:31
Exacly Trenloe ;). I might be danish, but I spend money like I'm scottish :D.

Hey! :)

And I'm not OP, I'm not Tigon, I'm TIQON! :P.

Oops, my bad

Trenloe
November 4th, 2016, 22:36
If I say OP people usually know what it means (usually) and it means I have no chance of misspelling Togin.

;)

Zacchaeus
November 4th, 2016, 22:44
If I say OP people usually know what it means (usually) and it means I have no chance of misspelling Togin.

;)

Bad man. Very bad man :)

Tiqon
November 4th, 2016, 22:52
if i say op people usually know what it means (usually) and it means i have no chance of misspelling togin.

;)

hahahahahahahaha!

Tiqon
November 4th, 2016, 23:23
So I bought the module.

Apprently it uses images for npcs and items from some of the core books, because I can't see them (see my attached two screenshots). So yes you CAN use the module without the core books, but you WILL miss something like that.

Strange it did not appear the same for item as for npcs.

I 'll have to add my own pictures I guess. Oh well, it spared me for TONS of work anyhow ;).

LordEntrails
November 4th, 2016, 23:42
Just to make sure, the whole comma thing...

"A, B or C" could be interpreted as
1) (A) OR (B) OR (C)
or as
2) (A) OR (B AND C)

"A, B, or C" can only be interpreted as (A) OR (B) OR (C)

Zacchaeus
November 4th, 2016, 23:43
So I bought the module.

Apprently it uses images for npcs and items from some of the core books, because I can't see them (see my attached two screenshots). So yes you CAN use the module without the core books, but you WILL miss something like that.

Strange it did not appear the same for item as for npcs.

I 'll have to add my own pictures I guess. Oh well, it spared me for TONS of work anyhow ;).

You should be getting those images. The error has been identified and an update will be issued in due course.

Nickademus
November 4th, 2016, 23:57
Just to make sure, the whole comma thing...

"A, B or C" could be interpreted as
1) (A) OR (B) OR (C)
or as
2) (A) OR (B AND C)

"A, B, or C" can only be interpreted as (A) OR (B) OR (C)

You forgot the comma before the A, just to be safe:

",A, B, or C"

Wouldn't want anything to bleed into the front of the list. /devilsAdvocate

Trenloe
November 5th, 2016, 00:04
Or...

Comma, comma, comma, comma, comma ?????????:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmcA9LIIXWw

LordEntrails
November 5th, 2016, 02:01
I can't do. I can't play that video. Noooo... I'm afraid of what might happen! Flashbacks might be the least of my worries!!

damned
November 5th, 2016, 02:46
I can't do. I can't play that video. Noooo... I'm afraid of what might happen! Flashbacks might be the least of my worries!!

Well you deserve to watch and listen and experience and flashback because you started this!

LordEntrails
November 5th, 2016, 02:53
Na Ha! Nylafs started it, not me!!
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34812-Thinking-of-buying-Lost-mine-of-Phandelver-but&p=298642&viewfull=1#post298642

Nickademus
November 5th, 2016, 02:58
I blame Tigon... (sic)

kp9911
November 5th, 2016, 05:30
Not sure if back in school, or discussing lost mines, or people simply enjoying the fact that tomorrow/today is a Saturday.

Tiqon
November 5th, 2016, 15:01
I blame Tigon... (sic)

Hahaha! Thanks :). Glad to be of service ;).

Tiqon
November 5th, 2016, 15:07
You should be getting those images. The error has been identified and an update will be issued in due course.

Awesome Zacchaeus. Thanks a lot :)!

I noticed that I DO have the pictures if I look at maps & images, it's there.

As you can see in my screengrab I can see the picture when opening the picture form the maps, but not from the npc entry. I guess the link is set to the monster manual?

Zacchaeus
November 5th, 2016, 15:46
Awesome Zacchaeus. Thanks a lot :)!

I noticed that I DO have the pictures if I look at maps & images, it's there.

As you can see in my screengrab I can see the picture when opening the picture form the maps, but not from the npc entry. I guess the link is set to the monster manual?

No the link is actually to the image in the module but for a technical reason which I won't bore you with the link is broken, and it's making FG think it should be looking elsewhere. If you did have the Monster Manual or the Dungeon Master's Guide the images would also appear.

Tiqon
November 5th, 2016, 15:49
No the link is actually to the image in the module but for a technical reason which I won't bore you with the link is broken, and it's making FG think it should be looking elsewhere. If you did have the Monster Manual or the Dungeon Master's Guide the images would also appear.

Ah ok :). Well I'm glad you will fix it :). I'll fix the ones I need right now (take like 20 second for each ;)).

Oh btw, so if you make changes to the module and I have made changes myself (like edit a npc or changing som text), will the update overwrite what I made or how do that work?

Trenloe
November 5th, 2016, 15:56
You need to use the right-click menu "revert changes" on the individual records or on the whole module (in the module activation screen) to read the base module data (new or otherwise) from any records you've changed. You'll know you've changed a record if it has a book & quill icon next to it in the data list.

Tiqon
November 5th, 2016, 15:58
You need to use the right-click menu "revert changes" on the individual records or on the whole module (in the module activation screen) to read the base module data (new or otherwise) from any records you've changed. You'll know you've changed a record if it has a book & quill icon next to it in the data list.

Ah! I noticed that little quill and wondered why it popped up when I had opened an entry. Thanks for the info!

Tiqon
November 6th, 2016, 12:17
So I found another error while preparing...

As I wanted to see where the prepared adventure had added tokens for encounters on the map I got this error (see screenshort). It works fine for Klark and Ripper, so it's not something that is persistant.

Zacchaeus
November 6th, 2016, 13:26
Well spotted, amazing that it's taken this long for someone to report that one. I'll get that on the list for fixing.

If you find more 5e related bugs can you report them here please (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34656-5e-Bug-Reports-(Continued)) as I am more likely to see them.

Tiqon
November 6th, 2016, 13:38
Well spotted, amazing that it's taken this long for someone to report that one. I'll get that on the list for fixing.

If you find more 5e related bugs can you report them here please (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34656-5e-Bug-Reports-(Continued)) as I am more likely to see them.

Thanks, I will do that :).