PDA

View Full Version : Adding hidden tokens to maps

caledoniaman
November 3rd, 2016, 18:38
Hi. I'm writing my own adventure for the first time. I can set up the story, the encounters and the parcels ok but I can't seem to add my tokens for the encounters to the map in advance. I mean, I can do it but they don't remain hidden and in the same positions the next time I go back to the map. Can anyone help?

Nylanfs
November 3rd, 2016, 18:42
How are you putting the tokens on the map, from the encounter? Dragging from the MM?

caledoniaman
November 3rd, 2016, 18:58
From the encounter. They arrive on the map sized, I rescale them, lock the token size but each time I open the map they aren't there and have to add them from the encounter again.

Trenloe
November 3rd, 2016, 19:03
From the encounter. They arrive on the map sized, I rescale them, lock the token size but each time I open the map they aren't there and have to add them from the encounter again.
Pre-placement of tokens in the encounter window (dragging the NPC token from the encounter window leaving a tick/check behind) does not permanently place the tokens on the map, it only saves pre-placement info for when you later activate the encounter (click the gold arrow at the bottom of the encounter window to add the NPCs to the combat tracker and apply any token pre-placement). When the encounter is activated the tokens will be invisible by default.

More info on encounters here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Encounters

Zacchaeus
November 3rd, 2016, 19:07
For what ruleset? Are you using any extensions?

Just FYI the procedure would be:

Add a grid to the map (this way you don't need to resize the tokens)
Create the encounter
Place the NPCs on the map by dragging from the encounter
Close the encounter - NPC's disappear (don't need to do this but I mention it anyway in case this is your problem and you haven't done...)
Open the encounter and click on the 'Add encounter to combat tracker'
Now the NPCs are there until or unless you delete them fro the CT or the map.

EDIT: And here I thought my typing speed was getting better. NINJA'D!

LordEntrails
November 3rd, 2016, 19:15
As the others has said, they won't stay visible on the map. But you can re-show/place them as above.

In case you haven't seen it, I suggest you read through the document attached to the first post in this thread. I've been told it is very helpful :)
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33538-Adventure-Module-Creation-Best-Practices