PDA

View Full Version : 3.2 NPCs

technocrat13
November 3rd, 2016, 18:31
After updating to 3.2, I was messing around with making NPCs and it seems that I can no longer drag & drop spells onto NPC character sheets.

Am I missing something, some other way to do this, or are we looking at a loss of functionality here?

Zacchaeus
November 3rd, 2016, 18:58
After updating to 3.2, I was messing around with making NPCs and it seems that I can no longer drag & drop spells onto NPC character sheets.

Am I missing something, some other way to do this, or are we looking at a loss of functionality here?

Hi technocrat Welcome to FG and to the community.

This is working for me. I drag an NPC into the NPC list to make a copy, click unlock, drag in spells. What other steps do I need to take to reproduce your error?

Trenloe
November 3rd, 2016, 19:00
Key thing: make sure the NPC is unlocked. If the lock symbol is closed and red then the NPC is read only (usually because it's in a module). Drag the NPC from the module to the campaign NPC list to make a copy and then unlock and edit the copy in the local campaign.

technocrat13
November 3rd, 2016, 19:25
Thanks for the fast replies, everyone. I think I've found the problem and a workaround.

The issue seems to be in how I open up the spells list. If I open the library, then open my DD PHB Deluxe -> Spells and use that list, I can drag & drop spells onto a new NPC sheet without any problems. However, if I use the new Spells sidebar button (I really dig the new customizable sidebar buttons, BTW), the spells description boxes have the locked icon on them and can't seem to be dragged onto an NPC sheet. Interestingly, spells opened in this way can be dragged onto a PC without error.

At this point, it means I'm just having to get into the spells list the old way when I'm making up my NPCs. Since I usually make all my NPCs between sessions anyway, this is a really minor issue.

Thanks again, guys. Just knowing that the functionality wasn't gone for everyone was a great help in tracking down the problem.

Trenloe
November 3rd, 2016, 19:29
The issue seems to be in how I open up the spells list. If I open the library, then open my DD PHB Deluxe -> Spells and use that list, I can drag & drop spells onto a new NPC sheet without any problems. However, if I use the new Spells sidebar button (I really dig the new customizable sidebar buttons, BTW), the spells description boxes have the locked icon on them and can't seem to be dragged onto an NPC sheet. Interestingly, spells opened in this way can be dragged onto a PC without error.
Good find!

Hopefully that's just a flag missing in the dragdata and can be fixed by the devs fairly easily...

LordEntrails
November 3rd, 2016, 19:30
Followup question in regards to best practice...
My understanding it that it was best practice when creating an NPC to create a trait called "Spellcasting" and to list all the spells in there and NOT to actually add the individual spells to the NPC.Then when it is added to the combat tracker the spellcasting trait is parsed and teh spells and actions are added automatically.

Is this still the case? Pro's/con's?

Zacchaeus
November 3rd, 2016, 21:09
Followup question in regards to best practice...
My understanding it that it was best practice when creating an NPC to create a trait called "Spellcasting" and to list all the spells in there and NOT to actually add the individual spells to the NPC.Then when it is added to the combat tracker the spellcasting trait is parsed and teh spells and actions are added automatically.

Is this still the case? Pro's/con's?

If you are creating an NPC in par5e then yes create the spellcasting trait and word it correctly. If you are just doing a homebrew or you want to beef up an NPC with a spell or two then just drag drop. I'm assuming the OP wasn't creating something for publication.

ddavison
November 3rd, 2016, 21:18
If you are creating an NPC in par5e then yes create the spellcasting trait and word it correctly. If you are just doing a homebrew or you want to beef up an NPC with a spell or two then just drag drop. I'm assuming the OP wasn't creating something for publication.

You don't need PAR5E for that. It does that directly within Fantasy Grounds. As LordEntrails states, just type in the full Spellcasting or Innate Spellcasting trait, close the NPC and re-open it and you will have all the spells that it was able to match loaded and set with the proper DC or attack strings. If you already have dragged a spell or two manually, you'll have to remove them to get it to do a look-up again. It only performs the lookup when there is the trait but no spells. You also have to have manuals open that contain those spell names.

Zacchaeus
November 3rd, 2016, 21:40
You don't need PAR5E for that. It does that directly within Fantasy Grounds. As LordEntrails states, just type in the full Spellcasting or Innate Spellcasting trait, close the NPC and re-open it and you will have all the spells that it was able to match loaded and set with the proper DC or attack strings. If you already have dragged a spell or two manually, you'll have to remove them to get it to do a look-up again. It only performs the lookup when there is the trait but no spells. You also have to have manuals open that contain those spell names.

Indeed, I keep forgetting you can create NPCs in FG :)

Moon Wizard
November 3rd, 2016, 21:53
Identified, and will be fixed in v3.2.1.

Regards,
JPG

technocrat13
November 3rd, 2016, 23:34
Identified, and will be fixed in v3.2.1.

Regards,
JPG

Nice.