PDA

View Full Version : [5E] Better Traits

7H3LaughingMan
November 3rd, 2016, 16:25
This is a pretty simple extension that replaces some of the functions in the CharManager to allow for parsing more traits when they are added to a character. Currently this is limited to the added functionality.

Check each trait to see if a trait adds proficiency to a skill.
Adds support for Superior Darkvision, if a character already has Darkvision then it will replace it with Superior Darkvision.
Adds support for additional types of movement speed. Currently only works for swim, fly, climb speeds.
If a character has Powerful Build it will calculate the appropriate carrying capacity.

You can always find the latest releases here (https://github.com/7H3LaughingMan/Better-Traits/releases/latest).

Zacchaeus
November 3rd, 2016, 16:32
Nice work

Moon Wizard
November 3rd, 2016, 19:02
I'll include this in next patch. One thing you missed that I added is that this will only check the powerful build on the first time the PC is viewed or when the strength score is changed, not when traits added/edited.

Cheers,
JPG

7H3LaughingMan
November 3rd, 2016, 19:53
I'll include this in next patch. One thing you missed that I added is that this will only check the powerful build on the first time the PC is viewed or when the strength score is changed, not when traits added/edited.

Cheers,
JPG

I wanted to get this done as a proof of concept first before going into the details of getting this to work properly. Most of the code has just been tacked on at the moment and is functional. But once I get into the process of making this a completed extension I am going to end up having to re-write a good chunk of how things are structured in addTraitDB.

7H3LaughingMan
November 3rd, 2016, 20:24
Well, I added some more functionality. For some reason couldn't figure out how to update the carrying capacity when the "Powerful Build" trait is added. If I tried to process the trait it wouldn't actually add the trait the character's trait list and thus the getEncumbranceMult function would end up reverting it back as if you didn't have it.

7H3LaughingMan
November 6th, 2016, 14:48
Alright, with the release of Volo's Guide to Monsters it has become clearer in how WOTC will be handling additional types of movement speeds. Had to split up the Speed and Fleet of Foot traits in the coding so that Fantasy Grounds wouldn't possibly be confused and choose the wrong numbers if a race has two different types of movement speeds.

However, it also shows that WOTC isn't very consistent in the wording for skills being added as proficient based on your race choice. I have 6 different checks for all the current means of adding skills.

Moon Wizard
November 7th, 2016, 06:34
Welcome to my world. ;)

JPG

7H3LaughingMan
November 7th, 2016, 21:02
Alright, I released v0.4 which mainly improves how handling of the Powerful Build Trait is done. It also adds an announcement/icon when you launch Fantasy Grounds with the extension to let you know that it is loaded.

Moon Wizard
November 8th, 2016, 08:19
OK, taken the items you've identified and incorporated into the 5E ruleset for the v3.2.1 beta, along with a few more items.

Regards,
JPG

7H3LaughingMan
November 8th, 2016, 14:04
OK, taken the items you've identified and incorporated into the 5E ruleset for the v3.2.1 beta, along with a few more items.

Regards,
JPG

Was taking a looked at the code for the v3.2.1 beta and couldn't help but laugh that my comment is in there.

7H3LaughingMan
November 10th, 2016, 15:38
Well, I guess this extension was short lived and isn't going to be needed as part of the v3.2.1 update since it has all been implemented into that update. I pushed one final update to the source code but didn't actually do a release. Backported some of the changes made for calculating the Encumbrance Multiplier and made some of my own changes to try and reduce the amount of code to make is easier to read and allow extensions to modify the values w/o needing to overwrite the function. In case you are interested Moon Wizard you can find the code here.

https://github.com/7H3LaughingMan/Better-Traits/blob/master/campaign/scripts/manager_char_override.lua

Trenloe
November 10th, 2016, 15:52
Well, I guess this extension was short lived and isn't going to be needed as part of the v3.2.1 update since it has all been implemented into that update.
Nice work - great to have your work viewed as important enough to include in the next release. :)

Moon Wizard
November 11th, 2016, 06:17
Better than having to maintain an extension, just ask Trenloe. ;)

JPG

Trenloe
November 11th, 2016, 17:43
Better than having to maintain an extension, just ask Trenloe. ;)
Too right! Still going through updating my long list over a week after v3.2.0 was released... :/