PDA

View Full Version : What the Heck did you do to me FG??? 5E update

Captcorajus
November 3rd, 2016, 05:59
This is really really annoying. Such a major update, and so vast a change to the interface? I LIKEd it the way it was... it was easy, now, it doesn't make any sense.

Okay, so, I'm trying to import an image for my maps.

I can see the image show up in the massive cluster of images from ALL the books. Argh.

I figured out how to create my own heading at the top, but how do I move the image???
I saw that if i opened it and then dragged the pin to the folder it seemed to move... but when I click on it, all I get is grey. no image.
When I got back to the ALL heading, and search, I can see there are now TWO entries for the image. One for each folder. Argghhhh! Why?

damned
November 3rd, 2016, 09:24
This update has been discussed and talked about for months. Many months. If you see an Update button flash and you are not sure come and check it out here and find out about it.
Without more information I dont know what to advise you.
Are you running extensions? Disable them and get updated ones and wait for the others to be updated.
What ruleset are you running?
Have you checked if you have any unpacked rulesets in your folders?
Did you read any of the update threads before posting?

The All group was added to allow people to search across all their modules.
The other groups are pretty self explanatory.
You drag and drop items to their correct group if they are not in the right one.
The system is not so very different from before except that it has substantially more usability and power with the search and the All groups.

Zacchaeus
November 3rd, 2016, 10:39
As damned says drag and drop into the group you created EXCEPT don't drag and drop an open image drag the image from the ALL list or wherever it is and drop on the group name at the top of that list. If you have a lot of images in the ALL tab then use the search box at the botom of the window to find your image

damned
November 3rd, 2016, 10:49
If you select the group before you drag your image in it will go in that group too.

Zacchaeus
November 3rd, 2016, 11:24
If you select the group before you drag your image in it will go in that group too.

How do you manage that? Because when I switch to a group only the contents of that group appear. If the image I want to put into that group is in another group then I can't drag it into the new group (because its not visible in the new group yet). So the only way that I can reliably pull an image from one group into another is to have the Group set to 'All' so I can see my image and all of the groups listed at the top. Then I can find my image and do the drag/drop.

Callum
November 3rd, 2016, 11:31
You've got some dung on your screen, there, Zacchaeus...

damned
November 3rd, 2016, 11:41
How do you manage that? Because when I switch to a group only the contents of that group appear. If the image I want to put into that group is in another group then I can't drag it into the new group (because its not visible in the new group yet). So the only way that I can reliably pull an image from one group into another is to have the Group set to 'All' so I can see my image and all of the groups listed at the top. Then I can find my image and do the drag/drop.

Egad. You are right. Well mostly. I set the group to None and it only shows images not assigned to a group and then you can drag to the right/new group.
I thought I had dragged some things straight into the correct group but... it mustnt have happened...

damned
November 3rd, 2016, 11:41

Bad man. Bad, bad man.
;)

Zacchaeus
November 3rd, 2016, 13:48

hehe

Captcorajus
November 3rd, 2016, 14:05
This update has been discussed and talked about for months. Many months. If you see an Update button flash and you are not sure come and check it out here and find out about it.
Without more information I dont know what to advise you.
Are you running extensions? Disable them and get updated ones and wait for the others to be updated.
What ruleset are you running?
Have you checked if you have any unpacked rulesets in your folders?
Did you read any of the update threads before posting?

The All group was added to allow people to search across all their modules.
The other groups are pretty self explanatory.
You drag and drop items to their correct group if they are not in the right one.
The system is not so very different from before except that it has substantially more usability and power with the search and the All groups.

First of all, I've been using FG for 10 years, and updating usually only means some new information has been added to one of the multitude of modules I've purchase in that time frame, so please... I appreciate the help, but I can do without the lecture.

I don't stop by the forums often, and when I do... normally I don't look for something I don't know that don't know I need to be looking for. Make sense?

Your post was helpful, however, so thank you for that. What I discovered was that if I select the 'NONE' group that showed the new images that I had added to the folder (go figure.. 'none' shows stuff). From there, I was able to create a new group, and then drag the image from the 'none' window to the new group... and each image then disappeared from 'none' and appeared under the correct heading.

Zacchaeus
November 3rd, 2016, 16:52
Your post was helpful, however, so thank you for that. What I discovered was that if I select the 'NONE' group that showed the new images that I had added to the folder (go figure.. 'none' shows stuff). From there, I was able to create a new group, and then drag the image from the 'none' window to the new group... and each image then disappeared from 'none' and appeared under the correct heading.

Yes none means 'no Group' effectively. So anything in the Group 'None' means it hasn't been allocated a group yet.

Trenloe
November 3rd, 2016, 16:59
Think of the "None" group as the old left-hand tab of the category tags.

ddavison
November 3rd, 2016, 21:26
By the way, we are planning an update for version 3.2.1 that will put new entries into the currently selected group instead of assigning them to None and then requiring you to move them manually.

JohnD
November 4th, 2016, 02:00
By the way, we are planning an update for version 3.2.1 that will put new entries into the currently selected group instead of assigning them to None and then requiring you to move them manually.

Very good idea.

Black Hammer
November 4th, 2016, 22:13
Cheer up, you're not the only one confused by this update. I've got three campaigns going (Vampire the Masquerade, Legend of the Five Rings, and Night's Black Agents) all on custom rulesets. I'm not sure either of the latter two will be updated, so I'm not entirely sure whether I'll try fixing them myself or just chuck the campaigns altogether.

Trenloe
November 4th, 2016, 22:17
I'm not sure either of the latter two will be updated, so I'm not entirely sure whether I'll try fixing them myself or just chuck the campaigns altogether.
Make backups of your campaign directories, then give them a try. Give the relevant ruleset developer some feedback if there are issues and you might well get a fix, or someone from the community might help out - like a few community members did for the Trail of Cthulhu community ruleset: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20888-Trail-of-Cthulhu-ruleset&p=298324&viewfull=1#post298324 (the the post 2 down with the graphical update).