PDA

View Full Version : Direct Ethernet connection problems... Anyone know how to help? [windows 10]

kalmarjan
November 2nd, 2016, 18:09
Here's the situation:

I have a computer that does not have a WiFi card, and is connected to the ISP router through a CAT5 cable that Bell installed.

I have since changed over to Videotron Cable, and when the tech was here, all seemed to work fine.

A week ago, I found out that my computer was searching for connection, and refused to update. The computer is a Linux box that I use for a home server. I thought that maybe it was the computer ethernet card, so I directly connected the cat5 cable to my laptop, and it wouldn't work. I tried my wife's computer, same thing. It just says "Unidentified Network" and "No internet" in the available networks, and "Access type: No network connection" and "Connections: Ethernet" in the Network and Sharing center.

I phoned Videotron's tech support, and so far this is what I have tried:
1) Trying another cat5 cable
2) Directly connecting to the router
3) Directly connecting to the modem
4) Going into settings, disabling the ethernet connection to see if Windows discovers the new network
5) Trying to edit the properties of the IPv4
6) Trying other computers (all exhibit the exact same behaviour)
7) Trying to make a new connection, but the only option is Broadband (PPPoE) and the guy said I have to erase that because I have a cable internet and not a DSL connection
8) The new network is asking me for my Username and Password from the IP, but the tech says that I shouldn't need it, it should automatically be there.
8) Digging around in network and sharing center, confirming that the DHCP is set to yes, the ip address is set to automatically discover, but the ipv4 is saying 169.xx.xx.xx (and this is bad, I think?)
9) I can get a connection if directly connected to the the modem, the modem is reset and I do a netsh winsock reset, but the issue appears once I try to put the router connections on.
10) Even tried reinstalling windows on all machines... No dice.
11) Power cycled the modem and router multiple times. Multiple, I say!

So, I am not sure what to do. I am not very good at networking (as you can tell) but I am confident if I have a checklist, I'll be able to figure it out, but I am not even sure where to start to research..

The computer with the direct connection is a HP a6030N with Ubuntu 16.04
The two laptops are both with Windows 10 home build 1607
One is an Acer Aspire E1-522-5603 and the other is an Asus
WiFi works for all the computers, but when I am trying to connect directly through the ethernet cable that i have a problem..

Thoughts anyone?

Edit: aaaaaand I no longer have WiFi either...

LordEntrails
November 2nd, 2016, 18:13
You probably already did this, but I didn't see it listed, you cycled the power on both the modem and the router? Otherwise I've got to leave the help to someone who knows more as I'm in the same boat as you (knowledgewise)

kalmarjan
November 2nd, 2016, 18:18
I shall have to add that to the list!

LordEntrails
November 2nd, 2016, 18:20
Power off both, power on the modem first, then the router after the modem is all the way up.

Zerbious
November 2nd, 2016, 19:39
As crazy as it seems, it has happened to me, your router could be bad.

We were connected fine and had been working, wife called me and said she had no internet to her PC (hardwired), but the laptop and phones had wifi. Had her reboot, still no dice, so had her check my PC (also hardwired) and no internet. Ended up calling our ISP that tried to ping it and they could not, so sent a tech out who confirmed the board of router's hardwired sockets was fried.

I know in our game thread you said you had a tech coming out, so hopefully that is what the issue ends up being... unfortunately you've already spent all that time trying to determine the cause. =/

kalmarjan
November 2nd, 2016, 20:03
If it's the router, I'll be real happy, cause it's an easy fix... Crossing my fingers. I want to play tonight!!!!

kalmarjan
November 2nd, 2016, 23:07
So the tech says its both the router AND an issue with my hydro (Hydro Québec) So, aparently my area of our street suffers from surges in power, so this is damaging my modems and routers (I've replaced 4 modems in the last 2 months, and 3 routers.)

Does anyone think the technician is taking the Piss out of me? I have surge protectors, and I've never heard of something like this. I won't have internet until Friday at the earliest, when they can get the next level tech guy here, and they are going to charge extra to put in new cat5 cables. In all, it's 75$/hr.

Has anyone heard about this happening before?

LordEntrails
November 3rd, 2016, 02:47
Surge protectors only help with the power supply. If they are getting voltage spike through the cable they won't protect you unless you have a surge protector for the cable too (I've seen some that do this). I would go back to the ISP and tell them they need to replace the modem/router because their signal conditioning is faulty and is damaging your equipment, and that's according to their own technician.

Probably won't work, but... :)

damned
November 3rd, 2016, 12:36
Can you please confirm -

You have cable internet
It is terminating at a isp supplied modem
you have attached your own router to this via ethernet
is the router connected on its WAN port or on a LAN port?
all your computers are connected via ethernet or wifi to the router (not the modem).