PDA

View Full Version : Virus Issue

Hermundure
November 2nd, 2016, 14:44
Hey guys,

I hope someone can lend a hand with this silly virus issue :-(

As soon as I klicked the Update Button and the first files flew in, the GroundsUpdater.exe got Terminated and Quarantained by Panda Endpoint Protection.

I never had an issue with FG virus wise...
Usually an advice would be to include the GroundsUpdater.exe in in the exception rules of the Anti-Virus-Program but thats not possible in my case, the Program does not really exist on my computer.
Panda is run outside of the PC on a different server and managed by the admin of my company...

I got my home PC connected to the virus system of the company so to say.

Are other softwares responding to the GroundsUpdater.exe also?
Is this issue known?

I hope I am not the only one ;-p

ddavison
November 2nd, 2016, 15:09
We have to submit our updater to some of the bigger anti-virus programs each time we generate a new version of the updater. Evidently, the process of the updater that self-updates is typically seen as virus-like behavior. In this case, it is completely by design and is necessary for the full update of the product. Both FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe and UpdaterEngine.exe are safe to allow.

Hermundure
November 2nd, 2016, 15:32
Hehe, the issue is not so much that I fear it has a virus, its more that parts of FG got deleted and I am unable to run FG since 3.2

Have you changed the updater behaviour? I never had any issues with it in the past :-(

Zacchaeus
November 2nd, 2016, 15:42
Hehe, the issue is not so much that I fear it has a virus, its more that parts of FG got deleted and I am unable to run FG since 3.2

Have you changed the updater behaviour? I never had any issues with it in the past :-(

It may well be that FG hasn't updated properly. Check the FG ruleset folder and if you find any strange .tmp or .PART files in there delete them and try updating again. If there aren't any such files rename the folder and do another update which will force FG to go through the process. Also ensure that your username and password are correct in settings as well as your license key.

ddavison
November 2nd, 2016, 16:26
It should be able to correct itself if you unquarantine the file and then re-run the updater.

We have had this each time we updated the updater. It normally starts to correct itself as more and more people mark it as safe and when we submit an updated version to Symantec and other A/V companies so they can whitelist it.

Hermundure
November 2nd, 2016, 17:58
I see!
Thanks for the Info! :-)

Hermundure
November 3rd, 2016, 17:55
Just a little update to bring some positive energy into all this 3.2 troubleshooty time :-)

Dougs intuition was right about the virus software needing a bit time - its working now, no more deletes of our beloved FG ;-)

*cheer*