PDA

View Full Version : Updating Modules in Active Campaigns

NotRussellCrowe
November 2nd, 2016, 13:48
Apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum for this post.

So I got the 3.2 update and then reverted changes to the 5e PHB, MM, and DMG so that I would have access to the latest updates (at least that's how I understand it). Now, I'm running Curse of Strahd and have made modifications to story entries and added encounters and such. If I revert on CoS module will that undo all my story changes? I remember hearing that updates to the core books would come with 3.2 and I just assume that CoS could have updates, no one has said anything about it having an update that I'm aware of.

Thanks in advance!

Kelly

Zacchaeus
November 2nd, 2016, 13:59
Apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum for this post.

So I got the 3.2 update and then reverted changes to the 5e PHB, MM, and DMG so that I would have access to the latest updates (at least that's how I understand it). Now, I'm running Curse of Strahd and have made modifications to story entries and added encounters and such. If I revert on CoS module will that undo all my story changes? I remember hearing that updates to the core books would come with 3.2 and I just assume that CoS could have updates, no one has said anything about it having an update that I'm aware of.

Thanks in advance!

Kelly

Yes, if you revert changes on COS then you will indeed lose all of your changes. COS was pretty much perfectly formed and there have been no updates to it since release that I can remember so you should be good to go.

You should get all the changes to the PHB, MM and DMG without having to revert changes since they are all reference material which you can't edit.

NotRussellCrowe
November 2nd, 2016, 14:02
Yes, if you revert changes on COS then you will indeed lose all of your changes. COS was pretty much perfectly formed and there have been no updates to it since release that I can remember so you should be good to go.

You should get all the changes to the PHB, MM and DMG without having to revert changes since they are all reference material which you can't edit.

Thanks, Zaccaeus!

So just downloading the core books are good enough to see the changes? I thought since I had opened the items and had that little book icon next to the entries I had to revert. Regardless, no issues with reverting, I just thought that's what I had to do.

Also good news about CoS not getting an update. I thought that might be why the CoS categories (old tabs) wasn't showing up in the story entries filter. Not a biggie, I can easily add my own category filters and have already done so.

Thanks for the quick reply!!

Zacchaeus
November 2nd, 2016, 15:01
Thanks, Zaccaeus!

So just downloading the core books are good enough to see the changes? I thought since I had opened the items and had that little book icon next to the entries I had to revert. Regardless, no issues with reverting, I just thought that's what I had to do.

There might be the odd thing that FG is flagging as 'amended' in a particular entry but generally that's a sort of false positive if you see what I mean. Just d/l the updated modules should be sufficient.

Also good news about CoS not getting an update. I thought that might be why the CoS categories (old tabs) wasn't showing up in the story entries filter. Not a biggie, I can easily add my own category filters and have already done so.

There is a problem with categories not showing up which is being investigated.

Trenloe
November 2nd, 2016, 16:38
More info on module changes/updates here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?32005-My-(non)-understanding-of-how-upadtes-work&p=273328&viewfull=1#post273328

NotRussellCrowe
November 2nd, 2016, 17:26
Thank you very much for all your help, gentlemen!!