PDA

View Full Version : Lighting does not tint control elements

Nemori
October 31st, 2016, 20:52
I was thinking of starting using the lighting feature to enhance the atmosphere in my games, but sadly it doesn't seem to tint all the control elements properly. This looks especially horrible on bright rulesets like 5E with the Wizards' theme. I tried searching for similar issues, but came up with nothing. So that makes me wonder, is that normal behaviour? I still hope it's just me doing something wrong.

LordEntrails
October 31st, 2016, 21:16
Nope, the mood lighting doesn't change the icons in 5E. Don't know if it will in v3.2 which will be released in the next day or two. But I doubt it as it has not been discussed in that thread.

Zacchaeus
October 31st, 2016, 21:38
It doesn't do so in 3.2 either. And thanks for pointing this out; I had never noticed that before :)

Having said that since I didn't notice it up until now I have to disagree that it looks horrible :)

If you are looking for more colours then there is Holognome's excellent moodlighting (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?21219-HoloGnome-s-MoodLighting-Extension-for-CoreRPG) extension

Nemori
October 31st, 2016, 22:19
Just to be clear, this is what I'm talking about, not icons as such, nor lack of colors, but the contrast created by tinted and untinted elements.

Character sheet is the worst I guess and I am really afraid to make my players stare at this for four hours :-/

I already tried HG's extension and it seems to suffer from the same problems, which leads me to believe it's either engine issue or my own. If you look closely at the screenshot, you can see that the corners of the headers don't have transparency set properly, that also doesn't look right.

Btw. is the 5E Wizards theme accessible for modding somewhere?

Zacchaeus
October 31st, 2016, 23:00
No, the 5e Wizard's Theme isn't available to do such things to it.

It's not a problem at your end; I suspect that this is just what FG can handle graphics wise. And, as I said, it's sort of in the eye of the beholder. It's probably best if you avoid the colouring if it doesn't suit you or your players.

Nemori
October 31st, 2016, 23:43
I managed to find a workaround - if I make a custom theme and make the frames semi-transparent then they get the tint from the underlying element. This seems to work best on a light background, the Wizards' theme could be quite simple to fix, darn. Well, you can't have them all I guess.

Anyway, thanks for the answers, if I make something presentable I'll post in the Gallery or Workshop forums.

Nickademus
November 1st, 2016, 00:29
And, as I said, it's sort of in the eye of the beholder.

I agree. I personally find it horrible that the lighting (I use the night lighting a lot) doesn't affect the battlemaps. Having a dark UI surrounding a bright map kills the 'it's dark' atmosphere the lighting is supposed to create.