PDA

View Full Version : Need testers for Fantasy Grounds website!

joshuha
September 18th, 2005, 04:20
Hi guys, as mentioned in a thread earlier someone suggested coming up with a way to link players together besides forum postings.

I decided to create a website and 2 days ago set out learning PHP and XHTML. I have created a way for players to register their pertinent information into a MySQL database and for GMs to be able to search that database. Coming soon is the ability for GMs to register a campaign and players to have the ability to search that database.

I need testers to come out to test out registering and searching. Currently only one thing is still in works and that is searching by time (the data exists in the database but am working on the query chains).

The website is https://www.FGresources.com. To register as a player click the Players Button and the Register link. To search the player database click the GMs Button and the Search link.

Please post here or e-mail me from my webpage with any bugs/suggestions you have (especially additonal player styles and game systems). This is just a beta test so I will wipe the data before the site goes live.

Also, I have received permission from several of the token/map creators to host the files on my website so look for this section soon!

TruthRevisited
September 18th, 2005, 04:24
I like this.. It might help out quite a bit. Good work.

TR

unixpanix
September 18th, 2005, 05:37
Registered, looks like a great resource :)

kepli
September 18th, 2005, 09:02
Registered ... hope to see more soon :wink:

Stuart
September 18th, 2005, 13:40
Similarly ... I also use adventuresomedreams.com to post info to try and avoid overburdening the FG site.

Aladane
September 19th, 2005, 13:14
Just registered and then did a DM search, worked. Good job,

joshuha
September 19th, 2005, 15:17
Made some minor changes to search results, imploded the game types into an array from the DB so that I can have them all show in one column. This makes it less clunky, also added the mailto: tage for the e-mails to make e-mail a potential player easier.

Added a few more gametypes and if you have one you wanted added please let me know the Gamesystem (D20, WOD, etc or "other") and the GameName.

Still working on getting the time search to work correctly. The math with the GMT stuff is tricky.

joshuha
September 19th, 2005, 22:00
Added ability to create username and password for future ability to update information. Also added some verification so end times can't be less than start times, e-mail and username are required, at least 1 game is required.

Have the time searching almost sorted out. Hope to have the ability to register a campaign (and thus be searchable) by the end of the week.

I had to wipe the data to support the username/passwords (which are md5 hashed so even I cannot see them). So when you guys get a chance please input some more info. Remember this is still in beta heh.

Spyke
September 20th, 2005, 08:14
I'm having a bit of difficulty re-entering my data. I first used my handle 'Spyke' as my username without spotting that it needed to be at least six characters. I then tried Spyke_Graham, but it's now reporting that that username already exists...

Please could you clear me out (if I am in there somewhere) and please could we have 5 character usernames? (Kepli would appreciate that as well, I'm sure!)

Thanks,
Spyke

kepli
September 20th, 2005, 10:05
Thanks Spyke, I would :D

WolfStar76
September 20th, 2005, 12:20
I then tried Spyke_Graham, but it's now reporting that that username already exists...

Please could you clear me out (if I am in there somewhere) and please could we have 5 character usernames? (Kepli would appreciate that as well, I'm sure!)

Thanks,
Spyke

Ditto - tried to re-register this morning, to get a username/password and found that WolfStar76 is taken. So it doesn't look like I was wiped.

{EDIT}

Tried to search for my old data, and didn't see it. Tried registerting as just WolfStar and am still told that already exists. Here's the error snippet.

select username from Users where username = 'WolfStar'User account 'WolfStar' already exists!

joshuha
September 20th, 2005, 13:44
OK try again. I was checking the wrong result value against that query and thus was flagging it true every time.

You should be able to create accounts now. Lowered the minimum length to 5 as requested.

WolfStar76
September 20th, 2005, 17:22
That seems to be working better now.

I was able to register, and then lookup my record. Don't see where/how I login at this point to make edits to my profile, but you've got plenty of time to build that.

One suggestion - I noticed that when I searched on my preferences, that my e-mail address was displayed. Not an issue within the community, but displaying an e-mail address openly like that leads to spiders, which lead to spam.

You might want to mask that, or change it to a "contact me" button that leads to a form, or whatever. Just to save us from the ravages of spam. :)

joshuha
September 20th, 2005, 19:28
Well the e-mail address isn't open as you think since that page is generated dynamically via PHP. There is not static URL that a spider could use to gleen information. The spider would have to smart enough to hit the search page know how to run the search and then get the information from there.

But I will work on a contact me type button that will launch a mailto instead of a direct link.

The update page is coming later, right now working on getting the campaign registration/search.

The GMT timezone thing is actually a lot harder than I thought. If the differenct in GMT zones are large enough or you are close 12 AM mark I have take into account that that actually is a different day than what you searched for. For instance. GMT -5 @ 1 am on a Saturday morning is actually a Friday night at 10 PM for GMT -8 and so on. This is not fun to code with SQL as I then have to hit the database again to see if that day even exists for that user.

Aladane
September 20th, 2005, 20:19
Looks great, here is some feedback:
1) Players need to have access to trturn and edit, but it looks like you are working on that.
2) When surching there were no hits for the time picked, Note that I did register for the Sat 9 am to 11:45 pm and still could not find it.

Keep working on it, looking forward to using it in the future.

Estin
September 21st, 2005, 10:30
Hi,

your site sounds like a great idea.

I encountered some problems though:

It's not possible to give a time span that goes from 8PM to 1AM eg.

I tried to register a player and got: There was an error. The account was not created...

Stormbow
September 27th, 2005, 20:04
Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/content/j/o/s/joshuha/html/player_register.php on line 122

Got the same error code twice while trying to register.

Stormbow
September 27th, 2005, 20:07
Player(s) matched for Monday between 1:00:00 and 1:00:00.
select Player.ID, username, Email, Info, PlayerType_Desc from Player join PlayerTypes on Player.PlayerTypes_ID = PlayerTypes.ID join Users on Player.User_ID = Users.ID join Player_Available on Player.ID = Player_Available.Player_ID where Day = '0' and Start >= &#40;1&#58;00&#58;00+GMT-1&#41; and End <= &#40;1&#58;00&#58;00+GMT-1&#41; order by username There are 0 players that matched your search&#58;

Seems like anything I put in comes back with something similar to the above.

Anyone successfully registered yet? If so, what game did you register for?

joshuha
September 27th, 2005, 21:35
The time searching still isnt working right now. You can see this in the search page in the parentheses. Working on it but RL work is swamping me at the moment.

Stormbow
September 27th, 2005, 21:36
Understandable. No worries. :wink:

The sig idea is pretty good too.

joshuha
October 8th, 2005, 06:55
Gonna start working again on this this weekend. Some of the pages are broken now because I am messing around with learning CSS to go along with the php. But if you look now you can see that the site layout looks very familiar. Of course I am just messing around and will be taking down the FG images as it makes the layout not fluid and Smiteworks might not be happy with me using them heh.

I have the player registration forms doing complete validation of all fields now and it works great.

Next thing I am working on is a profile page so you can put the url directly in you sig here so people can link to your available play times, games etc. Would look something like www.FGresources.com/profile.php?id=joshuha.

After that will come the GM registering of games and then the abilty to update inputted information.

Prolly still looking at a moth timeframe to get things down but I hope it becomes a great playerconnector type site. Also have permission to host several map packs/token packs/etc. bt those will come later since those are already out in the community.

Stormbow
October 8th, 2005, 07:17
Looking pretty good for a work in progress. :wink:

joshuha
October 18th, 2005, 17:20
Ok the profile pages are done so you can put a link in your sig. Check out my sig for an example.

Remember, don't go rushing out to use this quite yet as the site is still in beta but I am getting closer.

Ability to register campaigns and the ability to login and update info is next on the list.

Syrovi
October 31st, 2005, 16:15
:)

Great idea.

Needless to say I signed up.

Looking forward to playing....havent found an on-line group for FG yet...

Graiskye
November 2nd, 2005, 10:38
This is an awesome idea Joshua, seems to be getting a few players as well. I tried to register a game, but the link doesnt work. Just thought Id let you know. I see your still in the building stage, but its a great idea. Grai