PDA

View Full Version : Running a non-standard d20 game (Judge Dredd)

Magnimost
October 28th, 2016, 22:01
How complicated it is to setup and run a non-standard d20 game with FG, namely Judge Dredd with it's own skills and equipment etc.

There is a killer deal on JD RPG books. The publisher's rights to AD2000 IP is running out, so they are selling stuff for 75% discount. You can get a dozen Dredd books for around fifty bucks here (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/45/Mongoose/subcategory/161_26679/2000-AD) (not an affiliate link, but mods pls delete if not allowed).

vodokar
October 28th, 2016, 23:19
How complicated would depend on how non-standard it is from d20. At worst, you should be able to make up a character sheet in CoreRPG and MoreCore. If it is d20 based, though, that is a good start. You might be able to just use one of the existing rulesets based on d20, like 3.5 or DCC RPG or 5e and just fudge some stuff.

All of that without programming a ruleset. If you need to program a ruleset, it's a doable but long project.

damned
October 29th, 2016, 03:39
Id look at modifying 3.5e if you want to use more automation or Id use CoreRPG+MoreCore to do this.

Topdecker
October 29th, 2016, 04:10
Just an FYI, I grabbed the two Strontium Dog books which are Traveller-based because the setting just sounded like it would not take much work to convert to Savage Worlds - which sounds like a lot better system for a game of that nature anyhow. Under 4 bucks - I will probably pay more to get the collected comic :)

Raz_Kabooz
December 21st, 2016, 19:24
I'm a bit late on the thread. I missed out on the online sale but was able to get the print copies on discount. Since the D20 books are mostly source material, I was thinking a Judge Dredd setting would work well with Savage Worlds' Science Fiction or even Super Powers companions.

A few Judge Dredd: Complete Case Files can also fill in the blanks where the source books missed.